Hey, I know there are a LOT of posts like this but I'm having a hard time reading through them all and finding out what I need so I figured I'd make a new post.

I'm looking to start doing some home recording, nothing to fancy but I don't want to buy some junk. I will be getting new Macbook Pro soon so it would need to work well with that. I have a PC as well so if it worked with that it would be a bonus, but definitely not necessary. I was hoping to go under $200 but after looking around at stuff I'd be willing to spend $300. Mostly I'm just going to be recording electric guitar but would like to have the possibility to use a mic to record acoustic guitar, ukulele vocals ect. From what I have read the Apogee One and Focusrite Saffire USB 6 seem like my two best options. Before I was looking at the M-Audio fasttrack (heard quite a few negatives about it) , Line 6 POD UX1 (again, a lot of negatives) and the Presonus Audiobox. The audiobox comes with Studio One artist which I've heard a lot of good things about, but I have heard a few negative things about the actual interface.

I don't know too much about the included software with the Apogee or Focusrite but if it's crappy I could just use Reaper (which I've heard is quite good?). But I am having a hard time deciding between them.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I've no experience with either of these, but of all the brand names in the music industry, Apogee is right up there with SSL, Avalon, Neve, etc. Very hard to beat.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
you mean this for the apogee one?
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/apogee-one-usb-interface-with-microphone/502416000000000

if so, i would take the saffire hands down. the one seems like it is meant to be more of a portable device, as opposed to something you use as your main interface. good for something you take to jam sessions or on the go, but doesnt have the ins and outs for a typical home recording setup.
^ I dunno, maybe. It IS a tradeoff, but here is how it seems to me:

-both USB
-Saffire = 2 in / 4 out plus midi
-ONE = 1 in / 2 out no midi

So, as long as you're only recording one track at a time, then the ONE might suit your needs. Depending on how you plan on monitoring, you might have to keep swapping headphones with a pair of monitors by plugging/unplugging. A pain in the neck, yes. And no midi functionality, which may or may not matter to you.

So the tradeoff is you get fewer I/O options for what I would expect to be measurably superior quality.

It comes down to what your priorities are.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
hmmm, thanks for the suggestions. The Saffire does seem to have quite a few more features, is cheaper, and would work with Windows. Does anyone know if the quality is a lot better with the ONE or would it not really be that noticeable.
(\__/)
on a side note, does anyone know if any of these will be updated soon? It seems a little weird that all these interfaces are still using USB 1.1 . USB 2 came out ages ago yet hardly any of them have made the jump up.
(\__/)
Quote by gggf
on a side note, does anyone know if any of these will be updated soon? It seems a little weird that all these interfaces are still using USB 1.1 . USB 2 came out ages ago yet hardly any of them have made the jump up.

To jump in here, there's no real need for them to be updated if they cope fine on USB 1.1, particularly in the case of the One as it only needs to handle the one track... if it was an interface with multiple channels then perhaps, though I'd imagine people would have complained about the Saffire if it was a noticeable problem at 2 channels as well.

Anyway, never used either but the One features (to my memory) the same preamp and converter as is doubled in my Apogee Duet, and that sounds better than any other interface I've heard (excluding the combination of preamps and Lynx Aurora converters at uni, but they're not stand-alone interfaces, and cost thousands of any currency I could think in ).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Ya, thats probably true. All the reviews I've read have been good so I guess the USB 1.1 works just fine.
(\__/)
my Sapphire rules - but I'd love an Apogee too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
The Sapphire leaves you with a little more room to expand in the future IF you end up wanting to but probably doesn't sound as good as the One.

The Apogee is a great sounding portable interface but has limited I/O while being Mac exclusive.

A new Macbook Pro and Apogee One would be a very solid combination IMO, especially if you're only recording guitar. Get some nice headphones and you have a very respectable set up that will last you quite a while.