Poll: Is the guitar era of rock music dead?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is the guitar era of rock music dead?
Yes, the guitar has been good to us but it's time to move on.
25 8%
No, the electric guitar is still as fresh and exciting as it always was.
294 92%
Voters: 319.
Page 1 of 3
It's been around for a long time, and many music critics feel like the electric guitar has had it's moment in the spotlight. Is it fading away, taking guitar based rock music with it like the saxophone and the jazz era? Or is there still some great, original music to be squeezed out of it?

Personally I feel that whilst the guitar has given us some great music over the last few decades, musicians are having to rely more and more on studio trickery and effect pedals other then distortion to deliver truly original sounds from the six stringed instrument. Perhaps it's time for bands to try other instruments before falling back on the power horse of the mainstream music scene? Does originality matter? Is there any ground left to tread with the electric guitar?
I feel there is still a lot left to try with the guitar to be honest. Every day people are coming up with new inventive sounds and ways to play.
Check out my fitness blog here
I think that it will always have a place in underground metal and such but mainstream rock and roll and pop its already fading away as a lead instrument.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
It will always have a place in Rock, Metal etc. But for pop music it's going to have less of a presence.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." - Charles H Duell, Commissioner of the US Patents Office, 1899.

Just because you don't think there is anything new or original to be found, doesn't mean there isn't.
Funny words.
It's not as novel or exciting as it once was, but it's still an incredible sounding instrument. It's not any more dead than the piano or a string section.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I don't think it's going to die because it's a very mobile and convinent instrument.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Studio trickery and effect pedals are just more tools to use with the guitar, not a replacement.

The pedals mostly you have to learn how to use just as you would with the guitar. Anybody could put them to use but only a genious would make a song/sound with them that makes you think "wow, guitar is Friggin' sweet"
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Oh hell no!!!! =)) The guitar is a very vesatile instrument. I feel that we are just starting to discover it's potential. Check out the line 6 variax or midi guitars. They can give birth to quite unique sounds
I think that this is the wrong place to get a unbiased opinion on this.
And its not fading away Except in pop music,
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by NakedInTheRain

I don't think that a good example of the guitar NOT fading away when he mostly does things already done....like...25+ years ago...
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
It's been around for a long time, and many music critics feel like the electric guitar has had it's moment in the spotlight. Is it fading away, taking guitar based rock music with it like the saxophone and the jazz era? Or is there still some great, original music to be squeezed out of it?

Personally I feel that whilst the guitar has given us some great music over the last few decades, musicians are having to rely more and more on studio trickery and effect pedals other then distortion to deliver truly original sounds from the six stringed instrument. Perhaps it's time for bands to try other instruments before falling back on the power horse of the mainstream music scene? Does originality matter? Is there any ground left to tread with the electric guitar?

You know distortion is an effect itself, right?
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by link no1
I don't think that a good example of the guitar NOT fading away when he mostly does things already done....like...25+ years ago...

lolwut

the sounds muse make sound like they should be made 15 years from now.
I think that most instruments (excluding piano, the exception to the rule) have a life span of around 100 years in the limelight. Electric guitar based music was a massive hit in the 70's and 80's, and throughout the early 90's, but it's seemed over the past few years to be bowing out. With the exception of a couple of notable bands music seems to be either moving into the digital/electronic realms more, and the few guitar-based bands that are popular either draw on the sound of music from previous eras (i.e. indie) or as someone mentioned manipulating the sound of the guitar to create something fresh, which is where bands like Muse come in.

I'd give the electric guitar another 10-15 years.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Walk into a music shop. Observe the size of the guitar section. Compare it to the size of all the other sections. Ask yourself the same question.
Peace Out, Party On!

Amp fund: £200 and counting =0
Quote by CoffeeAndJack
Walk into a music shop. Observe the size of the guitar section. Compare it to the size of all the other sections. Ask yourself the same question.

>music stores
>relevant

Consumer grade babby shit doesn't count.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
lolwut

lolnah

Muse are overrated.
Check out my fitness blog here
Judging by this forum, no.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Yeah but this forum doesn't really about anything other then guitar music.

Not that that's a bad thing.
Look of course the guitar isn't dead and I can't see a time when it will. It is relevant in most music and most bands always have at least one guitarist when performing live.
Quote by Duffman123
Look of course the guitar isn't dead and I can't see a time when it will. It is relevant in most music and most bands always have at least one guitarist when performing live.

I hope you have that quote in your signature sarcastically.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
lolwut

Not really. It's a shame I can't remember the name of the band or the name of the guitarist but he was doing everything Matt.B was doing in KoC.

But still, say I am lying and this guy I am thinking of from the past does not exist, he still isn't doing anything that sounds like they should be only relevant 15 years in the future. Many guitarists are doing much more breakthrough things.
It'll take a long while before the guitar reaches harpsichord levels of dead.

inb4 some video of an asian kid playing amazingly well on a harpsichord even though that doesn't actually contradict my point.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
lolwut

I see nothing in that video that is new. I see volume swells, stuff that sounds inspired by surf rock, and stuff that sounds inspired by The Smashing Pumpkins. Octave fuzz is nothing new.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at May 23, 2011,
Quote by PotBellyShogun
Is it fading away, taking guitar based rock music with it like the saxophone and the jazz era?

What the fuck are you saying about the saxophone, son?

Just because something isn't always in the spotlight or the mainstream doesn't mean it's "dead."

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
I hope you have that quote in your signature sarcastically.

Take a guess
Guitar is dead... LOL.

The thousands on this forum are proof that the guitar is very much ALIVE!!!

The passion remains dude.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Yeah but the majority of people who use this site are metalheads.

I'm talking about the pop/mainstream scene.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
Yeah but the majority of people who use this site are metalheads.

I'm talking about the pop/mainstream scene.

Watch most pop stars live, you'll probably see a guitarist. ****ing Guthrie Govan plays with Dizzee Rascal.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I think bass will become more important than it has been (not trolling or looking for flames) but the guitar is here to stay!
We still play piano and violin after all those years, and contrary to popular belief, modern composers are coming up with good stuff. Why not guitar?
Quote by PotBellyShogun
Excellente. What kind oif electronic music you dig?

Drum n bass, house, dubstep etc.....

Yourself?
A lot of *sigh* EYE DEE EM, acid techno/house, ambient.

PsyTrance or Acid trance when I'm feeling particularly hedonistic.
Quote by PotBellyShogun
A lot of *sigh* EYE DEE EM, acid techno/house, ambient.

PsyTrance or Acid trance when I'm feeling particularly hedonistic.

Acid house is very good indeed And ambient as well, though usually whenever I see the word trance I run a mile.
Last edited by Duffman123 at May 23, 2011,
Page 1 of 3