might be leaving my job to go back to collage to study Music Technology so I think I need a small practice amp that I can carry around with me.

at the moment Im using a Peavy Valveking 212 but its too heavy to keep carrying around and only just fits in my cars boot.

so im looking for one that can match those tones really.

an effects loop would be preferable but not essential.

would like headphones output.

im not really fussed what tone I can get out the amp since it wont be used for gigging (obviously) but im after american voiced amps aswell that can handle high gain aswell as clean tones.

budget is around £150

thanks for any help =)
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by NakedInTheRain
If you stretch your budget to 200 pounds, you can pick up a used Blackstar HT-5 combo.

yeah or a vypyr 30?
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
i would go for the mentioned blackstar ht. except this vypyr thing everyone is talking about is all tube
My opinion is that the roland microcube is a great amp... It works on batteries, it's quite small and light and emulates a gratifier tone which forces you to play cleanly, or otherwise it sounds like crap
The Vox VT20 is nice, and being a modelling amp you can get some nice tones with only a few buttons.

Blackstar HT-5 is generally good, the ISF can get you that American sound you want pretty fast too. Maybe the HT-1R instead? It'll have reverb and if you can deal with an 8" speaker it's only £49 or so above your budget.
my vote goes for the vypyr. even the 15 is pretty awesome for what it is. alot of amp for your money
the Kustom kg10 is also pretty cool.
AVOID MARSHALL MG SERIES.
Lol, why is the vypyr the only thing that is talked about??????!!!!!! Is it that good?

^too many punctuations^
Quote by JKHC
Lol, why is the vypyr the only thing that is talked about??????!!!!!! Is it that good?

try one and see.

but other amps were recommended. are you the new anti-vypyr bandwagon bandwagon?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
try one and see.

but other amps were recommended. are you the new anti-vypyr bandwagon bandwagon?

Haha, maybe I should go against vypyrs and see how many people will join me when they get bored of criticizing other amps.

But no, I have never tried one. I just wanted to know if they are really as good as people say they are or is everyone exaggerating? We all know how often that happens
Quote by JKHC
Haha, maybe I should go against vypyrs and see how many people will join me when they get bored of criticizing other amps.

But no, I have never tried one. I just wanted to know if they are really as good as people say they are or is everyone exaggerating? We all know how often that happens

opinions vary. they are decent.

imo between the vox vt, mustang, and vypyr at the entry level they are pretty much a toss and it's up to personal preference.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd go for the vypyr tube. If not, the blackstar ht5 would be good too.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
thanks for all the responses Ill make list of them all n try a few out the weekend If I have time. will let keep this thread posted with how I get on
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
if i were you Vox VT+ or a Fender Mustang, I tried a blackstar HT-1R yesterday and i can say i was not impressed at all by it definitely not worth the money
just a thought.

found a Laney Linebacker 30 for £79

anybody had any experience with one of those?
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
While I can vouch for the great sound of a Laney valve combo, my first amp I ever owned was a tiny Laney solidstate and I can tell you it was unimpressive in all areas. Somebody hoping for that much for their Linebacker 30 has either replaced the speakers with something ridiculous or is just hoping for somebody to come along with money to burn. For that buget, get a Roland Microcube or a Vox DA5.

EDIT: Oh and for the record my "at university" amplifiers have included a 120w Fender and a 30w Laney valve amp. Nobody really cares about the noise - you'll be hearing 95db dubstep through your walls until 3AM anyway most likely.
Ebow > Adam Black Hydra/hhttp://i53.tinypic.com/opzadt.jpg > Morley PVO+ Volume > TC Electronic Polytune > Blackstar HT-DRIVE > EHX Big Muff > Danelectro Danecho > Line 6 Verbzilla > Akai Headrush > Akai Headrush > Laney VC30-212 w/Celestion G12H30 70th SEs
Last edited by Graham Simmons at May 26, 2011,
Quote by Graham Simmons

EDIT: Oh and for the record my "at university" amplifiers have included a 120w Fender and a 30w Laney valve amp. Nobody really cares about the noise - you'll be hearing 95db dubstep through your walls until 3AM anyway most likely.

when I go to uni this is exactly why im not going to be liked in my house.... I wont put up with that shit. If somebody tries that I WILL kick their ass around the house/flat.

and thanks for the advise. Ill avoid it. I have owned an old Laney before and it was aweful. I guess it wasnt a one off lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Vht. 5 watt valve amps, cheap as a vypyr.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Roland cube 15 or 20x
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food