Hey UG,
I've decided to attempt to build my first valve amp, I'm pretty good at soldering, but I need to know how to wire a point-to-point circuit, (AKA a circuit without a board) seeing as I'm using a Jansen 6/35 Bassman. I have a wiring diagram, but it is near impossible to decipher. So can anyone find me an understandable schematic for a 35w amp, or is it amp/tube specific?
Gear:
Yamaha RGX620DZ
Ibanez TK999HT
Marshall MG50FX (One that sounds good! :O )
Ibanez RG470
Line 6 Spider II Half-stack (Again, one that sounds good! Oh, wait, maybe it's just because I don't use unnessecary amounts of Gain and Bass. Twats.)
Are you joking? 35 watts for your first amp build? What electronics have you done before?
How are you going to mount the components? What tubes are you using.

A little warning, I am doing a Masters in Physics at Imperial College London, and I built a tube amp recently, i built it using the AX84's guide, and incorporating various elements from a blues breaker into a 5 watt or so amp. I have built various things in the past from digital voice recorders to something called a novel linear film motor (electrohydrodynamics thing), but after I made my amp I gave my self an electric shock the hospitalized me and has given me 3 large scars on my thumb along with a cms of dead flesh inside it.

If this is your first build find a step by step guide like the one ax84 has, and follow it too the word. Then as you learn more, you can think about building bigger ones.
Quote by alexmottram
Are you joking? 35 watts for your first amp build? What electronics have you done before?
How are you going to mount the components? What tubes are you using.

A little warning, I am doing a Masters in Physics at Imperial College London, and I built a tube amp recently, i built it using the AX84's guide, and incorporating various elements from a blues breaker into a 5 watt or so amp. I have built various things in the past from digital voice recorders to something called a novel linear film motor (electrohydrodynamics thing), but after I made my amp I gave my self an electric shock the hospitalized me and has given me 3 large scars on my thumb along with a cms of dead flesh inside it.

If this is your first build find a step by step guide like the one ax84 has, and follow it too the word. Then as you learn more, you can think about building bigger ones.

wow. Maybe i shouldn't try this anytime soon. I think it would be awesome to build my own amp but schematics give me headaches. Good luck. Stay safe
Gear:
Gretsch Electromatic
"Partocaster" H-S-P90
Schecter Omen6 – Seymour Duncan '59 & JB
Fender Blues Jr.
92 MIM Fender Jazz Bass
Ovation Celebrity
Tempo classical
Martin D-28

Check out my guitar blog Electric String Cheese
I would take a look at Weber, Ceriatone, Mojotone, Triode etc. They have layouts posted for their amp kits. Might be able to find what you're looking for. It's not as simple as throwing it together and firing it up though. You're going to need to do some reading on tube amps first.
I would personally start on SS amps first, less chance of being killed if you screw up. Tube amps are nothing to mess around with, they easily have enough voltage to kill you dead. So if you start a tube amp build, you better know what the hell your doing.
wow. Maybe i shouldn't try this anytime soon. I think it would be awesome to build my own amp but schematics give me headaches. Good luck. Stay safe

Yeah, pretty stupid thing I did. I could have sworn I had unplugged it, and my friend was right next to me. Thankfully I was sitting on a bed, so the electric shock vibrated me across my bed in around 20 seconds and made me fall rigid off the bed at which point one of my hands pulled the board I made apart. I couldn't walk for a while afterwards, then tried to throw up a lot. Its far more than the ping you get off a bad electric switch for a light.
Quote by alexmottram
Yeah, pretty stupid thing I did. I could have sworn I had unplugged it, and my friend was right next to me. Thankfully I was sitting on a bed, so the electric shock vibrated me across my bed in around 20 seconds and made me fall rigid off the bed at which point one of my hands pulled the board I made apart. I couldn't walk for a while afterwards, then tried to throw up a lot. Its far more than the ping you get off a bad electric switch for a light.
Wow sounds like a pretty bad shock, i got a boot off my ax84 high ocatane once 240Vac, had my hand on the back of the IEC socket when i plugged the mains lead in, thanks to australias strict electrical regulations on RCDs/safety switches i got off lucky with just a minor shock
I got stuck onto a pilot lamp and the main aluminium frame and couldn't let go. The ax84 guides are great though arent they!
ya if you're at risk for ****ing up the pilot light don't even bother.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Alright, I hate to step into the thread here with another question. I'm interested in building my own tube amp as well. I'm not educated professionally on all the circuitry and everything. I actually have a friend who went to school for it helping me out on the build. My question is this....I currently have a "120" watt blue voodoo. Never turn it past 3. What, in your opinion and for hard rock/metal, do you think is an appropriate amount of watts for a tube head? I've been told 30, 50, 100, and 150.
Thanks Jason. So a 15-30 watt tube will be loud enough to be heard over drums, vocals, and lead guitar (Marshall JCM 2000)? Just because I'm curious....what would you use a 120w amp then?
Lol...."Torture". Indeed. I guess if you enjoyed bleeding from the ears maybe. Ok, so when going about building your own amplifier, do you create your own circuit boards? Or do you find an amplifier you like, and buy one of their circuit boards? Would that pretty much negate the whole "do it yourself" methodology?