We know there are guitar players that are good singers, ie. Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Gary Moore. But what about guitar players that never sing, such as Slash, Marty Friedman, Eddie Van Halen? What do you reckon those guys sound like when they sing?

I feel kind of bad that I'm not good enough to sing well, but my passion is guitar playing anyways.
Last edited by musicandthewave at May 23, 2011,
Joe Satriani should not sing.

Shawn Lane could, though.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 23, 2011,
The real question here is: Why should we care?
Honestly, I thought being an amazing guitar virtuoso alone was enough already.
He did a few backing vocals in some Megadeth songs if I remember.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I would imagine they could hold a tune, I mean most muscians who arent tone deaf can/should.

My favourite example of a gr-amazingly good singer/guitarist has to be Devin Townsend.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most great guitar players have a well developed ear. That makes them able to pick up pitches and melodies really easily. However, that doesn't mean that they can sing well...It takes a lot of practice to get good at singing, and maybe some of the gods just didn't want to do that
Their guitar sings.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
I imagine any professional guitarist (or musician for that matter) should be able to at least hold a tune, i.e. pitch notes correctly. Whether or not they have a decent voice is another matter entirely.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
I imagine any professional guitarist (or musician for that matter) should be able to at least hold a tune, i.e. pitch notes correctly. Whether or not they have a decent voice is another matter entirely.

This

Anyone can learn how to sing in key but not everyone is born/can create an interesting voice.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Satriani's okay. He's better at playing the harmonica while playing guitar though. Paul Gilbert can sing while playing (a la Down to Mexico), as can a number of other famous guitarists. But many singers aren't prized for their voices. I mean, Mick Jagger's voice is AWFUL.
Quote by trueamerican
Satriani's okay. He's better at playing the harmonica while playing guitar though. Paul Gilbert can sing while playing (a la Down to Mexico), as can a number of other famous guitarists. But many singers aren't prized for their voices. I mean, Mick Jagger's voice is AWFUL.

His voice isn't awful. You find it to be awful.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
His voice isn't awful. You find it to be awful.

Quite obviously that was my opinion.... However, it's an opinion I've found to be quite popular, at least to the people I've spoken to.
Quote by trueamerican

First thing that came to mind.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
This

Anyone can learn how to sing in key but not everyone is born/can create an interesting voice.

This. It's not that hard to hit the notes and therefore be singing 'well' as such, but with most good singers it's about them having tonally good sounding voices.
Quote by trueamerican
He sings pretty well for his solo project

Actually i haven't heard any of that! But i think every bug guitarist has sung on stage before
Quote by SuomiJakobstad
Tommy Emmanuel perhaps.

Check this Youtube video of him out, it's insane.
It's from a gig in Seoul (2009).

Seen and met him twice. Signed my guitar

He can definitely sing to a reasonable standard. It doesn't come close to his guitar playing, but he's not a singer.

And Eric Clapton should keep his mouth shut.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at May 23, 2011,
Quote by BillyRamone
How well is reasonably well?

In key and without inflicting suicidal thoughts for the listener?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
In key and without inflicting suicidal thoughts for the listener?

You obviously haven't heard any metal songs.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
You obviously haven't heard any metal songs.

I have, and I don't enjoy it.