Poll: How important are lyrics to you?
Poll Options
View poll results: How important are lyrics to you?
Couldn't give two shits, prefer music without them.
13 5%
They're nice but I can live without 'em.
156 64%
No lyrics probably means it won't hold my attention for long.
64 26%
No lyrics = No listen.
10 4%
Voters: 243.
Page 1 of 4
Not overly for me, more interested in how they sound with the music
Check out my Black/Death metal band!
galadh.bandcamp.com

Quote by StewieSwan
I had unprotected sex with an underage, pro-life, christian girl. Beat that.

not as important as the music. i'd much rather listen to a great piece of music with no lyrics, or even boring lyrics over it than a boring piece of music with great lyrics. it takes more effort to write an interesting piece of instrumental music but there are a lot of really great works with no lyrics in many genres.
Last edited by flame843 at May 23, 2011,
Quote by trivium_4_eva
Not overly for me, more interested in how they sound with the music

This. Honestly, I don't pay attention much to them, because a lot of the times they aren't too clear, and English isn't my first language. So it's how they contribute to the overall sound.
Lyrics are quite important to me. I like plenty of songs with shitty/no lyrics, but the only songs that I really really love are songs that have lyrics that touch me in some way
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMLiFpecgVg

Now I notice the streetlamp’s hum
The ghosts of graffiti they couldn’t quite erase
The blank-faced stares on the subway
As the people go home
The parks lay empty like my unmade bed
The streets are silent like my lifeless telephone
And this is where I live, but
I’ve never felt less at home
So I’m not unsympathetic
I see why you left
There’s no one to know
There’s nothing to do
The city’s been dead
Since you’ve been gone…

Sometimes I stand on my roof at night
And watch, as something seems to happen somewhere else
I feel like the breeze will pick me up and carry me away
Out and over this iridescent grid
Up and away from the bar fights and neon lights
Out and away from everything that makes me what I am
So I’m not unsympathetic
I see why you left
There’s no one to know
There’s nothing to do
The city’s been dead
Since you’ve been gone…

Oh I never had just whatever it is you want, baby
And I really tried, I tried with all my might—it made me crazy
To try to figure out what it is I’ve done wrong every time
When everything I love, everything I hold dear
Heads out sometime
And all I ever say now is good-bye.

The song is decent on its own, but the lyrics take it to a whole new level.

So yeah, I generally don't like music with no lyrics. At this point, there are really no original melodies. Obviously there will be the odd instrumental that is still great even without words, but most instrumentals seem pointless to me.

And I automatically dislike any music with terrible lyrics.

For the record, my favourite genre is hip hop.
Last edited by Horlicks at May 23, 2011,
Depends. For modern rock type music like Alter Bridge, or alternative/punk like Rise Against (though they're the only punk band I really like), lyrics are VERY important. But for music that's all about the guitar, like the metal I listen to, the lyrics are not too important.
Quote by trueamerican
Depends. For modern rock type music like Alter Bridge, or alternative/punk like Rise Against (though they're the only punk band I really like), lyrics are VERY important.

The melodies are, but I don't think the lyrics are too important, simply because they're normally pretty tired, clichéd lyrics anyway.
Flame shield activate!

I personally dislike Opeth, i think both the music and lyrics are boring. However they are all amazingly skilled, but to me it's just bland and dull. This is the only case where i haven't enjoyed one part of either the lyrics or music in a band.

Generally i want the lyrics to have depth and meaning, but that's not to say i don't mind 'nonsense' lyrics where it's just nice to have like another melody there.

All of the above depending on what the song is going for.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Lyrics mean so much to me. They are the reason why I listen to songs - the melody you can make from your voice is incredible in pop songs. An instrumental with no lyrics won't really hold my attention unless it's a display of vocals (i.e. vocal showoff) such as this song:

低嗨 - 張靚穎-我相信:

A song displaying vocal talent in the form of hymns and whistle registers will definitely hold my attention despite there being no lyrics. Click above to hear an amazing vocal display. It's very short.

However, the lyrics have to be good otherwise they won't interest me. There are very few lyricists which captivate me.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 23, 2011,
Decent music + smashing lyrics = Good song
Smashing music + decent lyrics = Great song
Smashing music + smashing lyrics = Smashing song
REGGIE
It depends. If they're screaming in Ukraïnian I couldn't care less, but if I can perfectly understand the shit they're singing at it's really bad it does bother me a lot.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Most of my favourite bands sing in Japanese so lyrics are very very unimportant to me, in all honesty.

Do you know Japanese though? I guess that would make a difference though.
Quote by LeakyFlask
Decent music + smashing lyrics = Good song
Smashing music + decent lyrics = Great song
Smashing music + smashing lyrics = Smashing song

Pretty much this.

Quote by jibran
Do you know Japanese though? I guess that would make a difference though.

No, I wish
That was the point I was making, I don't understand the lyrics and I very rarely look them up, unless someone has said that a certain song has exceptional lyrics. So the quality, or lack of quality, of the lyrics doesn't really affect how much I enjoy a song.
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at May 23, 2011,
If there are vocals in the song, they're very important to me. I can't stand someone singing about gibberish and nonsense that means absolutely nothing.

If it's instrumental, it's fine without. I guess what I'm saying is it's only important if someone's singing.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Very important. Unless its Satch or Vai kinda stuff. Shitty lyrics is a turn off for me. But lyrics is essencial for me.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Depends...
I love instrumental music and music where the voice is used as an instrument, but the music itself has to be pretty interesting then.
Punk/simpeler genres need to have good lyrics to keep my attention, which they often do
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by PotBellyShogun
Loads of people saying lyrics are essential but no-one choosing the fourth poll option.

I would guess because people aren't so ignorant that they would turn off any music with no lyrics.
I love great lyrics, as they give me something to really think about. Sure, I like metal, where IMO the lyrics don't really matter as much to the writer, or the audience (with a few exceptions, BTBAM and Opeth being 2), and instrumentals, such as the work of Andy Mckee, Don Ross etc, but what really makes a good song, IMHO is the lyrics.

Take a song like Such Great Heights, by The Postal Service/Iron and Wine. Simple chords/instrumentation, yet its an incredible song in my eyes, because of the deep, meaningful and well written lyrics.

That said, its got to have rhythm and flow, as well as meaningful words, to sound interesting and engage the listener.
Very important for me in certain genres and songs.

Folk music, singer/songwriter, acoustic poetry - very important.

Classic/ambient - ....
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at May 23, 2011,
Some songs aren't about the lyrics, the lyrics are just a bit of the music, some songs are basically all about the lyrics.

Hurricane by Kyuss is a badass sounding song, the lyrics are silly in a way but they provide abit of a melody and that song is all about the guitar and bass anyway.

However, 'heart of gold' by Neil Young is basically very much about the lyrics, so in that case for that kind of song the lyrics need to be good.
The lyrics don't matter as much as the them. If the lyrics are good then woot, but I only know two or three bands whose lyrics I actually like.
sunbather is shit
The music is the most important thing, but I appreciate and enjoy good lyrics too.
The Voices made me post that

Hi everybody it's me, Facebones!

depends really.
some music i love for the lyrics, other music i wouldn't want lyrics
now extra flamey
Depends on what I'm listening to. I can listen to music without vocals, in fact I enjoy instrumentals quite a lot, but say, if I'm listening to music with lyrics about the artist's opinion, like something political, if the lyrics are just really stupid I can't take the song seriously. But if it's just a song about satan or zombies it doesn't really matter to me if it's incredibly cheesy or not, it's just entertainment.
lyrics =/= vocals

also, stop making threads

also, 'the great gig in the sky'
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
I prefer music WITH them, but if they are going to have lyrics, they damn well better be good.
If it's meant to be an instrumental, then obviously I'm just fine without any vocals.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
If there are lyrics then they have to be quality not like Iron Maiden, e.g. "the golden goose is on the loose and never out of season". Seriously Bruce, what the **** were you thinking?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Depends. If a rap song has embarrassingly bad lyrics, I won't listen to it. I prefer instrumental jazz. I like punk and prog to have decent, intelligent lyrics. Metal, I generally don't care because I can't understand them half the time anyway.
Your poll is flawed like no tomorrow.

I listen to more than one genre and vocals totally depends on the genre. Lyrics themselves matter, but based on genre (and even then not entirely)

Listening to Brutal Death Metal such as Begging for incest or Devourment, the lyrics themselves are irrelevant because I have no idea what he is gurgling in his blood induced choking. I just like the sound that they can achieve with their lungs and voice boxes. I would like to see someone sing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkjLHtylu0) and tell me that it's easy.

If I listen to technical Death Metal in the genre of Cannibal Corpse or Necrophagist, the lyrics don't mean anything to me but the way the sound of their voice contributes to the sound of the music is beyond glorious. I love death metal.

If I listen to death metal such as Decapitated or Death then the lyrics do mean something and are important as well as their vocal prowess adding to the song. they both contribute and I really enjoy 'em (I can understand what they sing, so it makes it easier for me to enjoy the lyrics)

Thrash metal on the other hand has a lot of variances between the bands I listen to. They can vary from good to bad lyrics and good to bad vocalists. it all depends on the bands and songs, but I like and dislike lyrics from this genre.

Every other genre i did not mention is essentially the same thing. i will listen to early rap and such because it reminds me a lot of death metal (lyrically). I enjoy the lyrics, the music and beats and whatnot. Same goes for everything, it all depends on how the singer can contribute his voice as well as how the lyrics are put together and subject matter.

And I love instrumentals. They show a true musicians ability. They have to keep your attention without being too repetitive and boring. They can't drag on and whatnot, but other than that I'll listen to about any well constructed instrumental.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Lyrics aren't massively important for me, I tend to like instrumentals more than songs with lyrics. When they are present, though, I can enjoy songs with bad lyrics if the music is good. Good example would be The Count of Tuscany. Not really strong lyrically, but still one of my favourite songs of the last few years.
If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Quote by DigUpHerBones
I love you and think I just about understood what you said. Cheers.

Like Pokémon? Like threads?
Quote by blankoff
If there are lyrics then they have to be quality not like Iron Maiden, e.g. "the golden goose is on the loose and never out of season". Seriously Bruce, what the **** were you thinking?

He was thinking of golden geese obv. I like Paschendale but wtf is with the eagle screeching halfway through the song? Did the producer really find it necessary?
It depends on the genre. Sometimes lyrics are really important.. for reggae or something but for death metal it's not important at all.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Vocals are good but I could not careless about lyrics.

Mostly its all slicing and raping and murdering and mutilation and..

Exception for romantic songs n shizz.
Page 1 of 4