Doing revision for my AS level physics exam tomorrow morning and I just got confused. For a filament lamp, as current increases, the temperature of the filament increase, increasing the resistance and so decreasing the current. That I understand.

However, for a thermistor, this seems to be the other way around, as current increase, temperature increases and the resistance decreases.

Is it as simple as filament lamp and thermistors just work differently?
Thanks
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
It's been a while since AS, but that's right, as far as I remember.

They have NTC (negative temperature coefficient), which basically means what you just said. Good luck!
That reminds me that I need to start revising for physics tomorrow
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

I remember doing As physics..
Good luck bro. Study hard for physics. Almost everyone failed it in my class at the end of A2.

Remember these encouraging words.
As thermistors heat up, the charge carriers available increase exponentially, increasing the current/reducing the resistance. The increase in resistance due to the exciting of the lattice ions from heating is nowhere near as significant as the increase in charge carriers, and so overall the resistance of the thermistor decreases.

As a filament lamp heats up, the lattice ions vibrate more, increasing the resistance due to them interacting with the electrons more often, reducing the drift velocity. As I=nAvq, clearly a reduction in drift velocity reduces the current passing through, so it is clear that as the filament heats up, its resistance increases. With filament lamps no charge carriers are released when heated (at least a negligible amount).

I hope that makes sense.
Quote by quinn_1888
Temp Up Resistance Down

and the you know V=I*R

Ibanez S670FM
Ibanez Masa SX60
Roland Cube 60
CryBaby GCB 95
Ibanez GSR180 Bass

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
Quote by quinn_1888
Temp Up Resistance Down

That I will never forget!

Thanks for the clarification guys
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Good luck TS. I took Physics also. I can hardly remember a thing of it.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by quinn_1888
Temp Up Resistance Down

While that is a great acronym, it's also wrong in most cases.
I have that exam tomorrow, i'm just going to write poems about pokemon and fairy's invading the exam hall.
this confused me also. i have physics, but gcse, and i'm doing this. i have books that say with thermistors, temp up, resistance down, and with LDRs, light up resistance down, but there's also sources that say otherwise. can somebody clarify what i've just said?
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by laid-to-waste
this confused me also. i have physics, but gcse, and i'm doing this. i have books that say with thermistors, temp up, resistance down, and with LDRs, light up resistance down, but there's also sources that say otherwise. can somebody clarify what i've just said?

As far as I'm aware, with an LDR as light intensity builds, resistance decreases.
But with Thermistors it can be either:
1. Temp. goes up, Resistance down (negative temperature coefficient)
2. Temp. goes up, Resistance goes up (positive temperature coefficient)
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by maiden_man_666
As far as I'm aware, with an LDR as light intensity builds, resistance decreases.
But with Thermistors it can be either:
1. Temp. goes up, Resistance down (negative temperature coefficient)
2. Temp. goes up, Resistance goes up (positive temperature coefficient)

thanks. in gcse, i haven't heard anything about ntc/ptc, so i'll have to ask my physics teacher.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17