Firstly the equipment i'm using. Epiphone sg400 stock pups and a peavey vypyr 30.

I'm trying to get a warmer thicker sounding tone. I play slash's solo's and blues/rock. The problem i've got is my tone just sounds too bright and high. I play on the neck pup
with the tone rolled all the way back and still it doesn't sound very good.

Is there any kind of pedal or eq i could try to get a warmer sound. Or just buy a les paul and a marshall lol .

I do like the sg though so don't really want to get rid if i can find another solution.
Or maybe is the amp my problem?

Sorry if these are really dumb question i've only been playing for a little over a year.
Epiphone G400 ebony
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Peavey Vypyr 30
Line6 Pod 2
Dunlop Tortex .73mm
Quote by Graham Simmons
What are your amp's B/M/T settings?

Bass 6 Mid 6 treb 2. They all go up from 1 to 7.
Epiphone G400 ebony
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Peavey Vypyr 30
Line6 Pod 2
Dunlop Tortex .73mm
My amps a modeller. I do use the drive channel on a marshall plexi setting.
Epiphone G400 ebony
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Peavey Vypyr 30
Line6 Pod 2
Dunlop Tortex .73mm
I don't have anything against good modeling amps, but a real tube amp may provide what it is you seek. Try a Blackstar or Marshall Haze.
Your settings should give you a very dark dull tone. I can't see how it would sound bright at those settings. The guitar tone knob at 0 won't do any good.. you loose too much of the good stuff.
Maybe you're picking the strings close to the bridge, try to pick closer to the neck. Try a different drive setting on the amp. Something with more gain/distortion - maybe you're missing this.
Also try to lower the volume of your amp and play harder with more attack to the strings.
I know Lucifer so well I call him by his first name...I say, "Hey Lou!"
Quote by jrakus
The guitar tone knob at 0 won't do any good.. you loose too much of the good stuff.

Also try to lower the volume of your amp and play harder with more attack to the strings.

Whoa, ok, first off, slash gets his tone by turning down the tone knob on his guitar, it gives it that silky tone with no bite. Since he says he plays "SLASH" then he obviously wants his tone all the way down during solos and such (I do it for my neck, and then have my bridge cranked all the way up for rhythm, that way I can just switch back and forward)

Also, if you have to turn down the volume on your amp for it to sound good, buy a new amp. Get one with tubes if you want slashs tone, end of story. It doesnt have to be big like a JCM900 or a mesa boogie dual rec, but it has to be tubes if you want that classic rock creamy Slash tone.
Quote by afrika18
a real tube amp may provide what it is you seek. Try a Blackstar

lol

Quote by afrika18
Marshall Haze.

shit

To wit:
Quote by tripss

with the tone rolled all the way back and still it doesn't sound very good.

Your tone should be muffled as all hell at that point, especially with the neck pup. Is the amp sitting on your desk or on the floor? If you've got it sitting right in front of your face, it'll be trebly and harsh no matter what, that's just the nature of speakers.
Quote by jrakus
Your settings should give you a very dark dull tone. I can't see how it would sound bright at those settings. The guitar tone knob at 0 won't do any good.. you loose too much of the good stuff.
Maybe you're picking the strings close to the bridge, try to pick closer to the neck. Try a different drive setting on the amp. Something with more gain/distortion - maybe you're missing this.

Rolling back the tone knob is fine for Slash stuff.

It cuts treble so that's not the TS' problem.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for the advice guys most appreciatted. I've had a mess around with the tone knob and the settings on my amp.

Still can't get the tone i'm after. I'm thinking the amp may be the problem. Its just sounding to bright and tinney. I'm not trying to exactly replicate slash just that type of sound.

Think i need to test a few tube amps and take it from there.
Anyone recommend a nice tube amp jus for home practice?
Epiphone G400 ebony
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Peavey Vypyr 30
Line6 Pod 2
Dunlop Tortex .73mm
Theres quite a few laneys thatll do it.

VC15, AOR, Cub 12R.

The best of the 5 watter bunch is probably the VHT special 6, though it's a bit fendery, and you'll need a pedal. You could always slap in an EL34 instead of the 6v6 and get the VHT special ultra since it has a gain control. I hear theyre gunna bring out an adapter so you can use an EL84 too.
So, your saying that the neck pickup sounds too bright with the tone rolled all the way off...to like 0? It should sound like a hollow, no treble tone, and should have no highs. I would pull it open and see if the circuit or pot is still intact, and you haven't messed up the cap in there that's designed to bleed off the highs when you use the tone pots.