Fellow Europeans (or others who are planning on going/already went to the festival),

This summer I'll be going to Sziget Festival in Budapest, Hungary. Anyone who has been there before? How was it? Any experiences, stories, advice to share? Also, people who've been to Budapest, how is the city? Any recommended places there?
Is it expensive there, or ridicilously cheap?

I am from Belgium and since it's a pretty far trip, I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks folks!
Quote by ..NEM..
*hugs back and grabs White Ponys ass*
So far confirmed acts can be found here: http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/programs2011

I'll be going to see mainly Flogging Molly, Interpol, Triggerfinger (Belgian band), Suicidal Tendencies, Deftones, Motörhead, Gogol Bordello..

But the main reason I'm going is the atmosphere, realy. A week partying on an island in the middle of the Donau, centre of Budapest. What's not to like? Also, titties.
Quote by ..NEM..
How do you pronounce Sziget?

And the lineup isn't too great imo
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
I've never been there, but I am going. For the line-up see www.szigetfest.eu

As far as I know, Hungary is cheap as hell. I've never been there but some of my relatives own a house there, and I have some friends who've been to Sziget already and they say it is cheap. I suggest you take a look at the website, because they have some links to other sites that may prove useful.
Quote by lockedandlogan
Let me get this straight. You're asking a bunch of people who are sitting at their computers, likely due to boredom, what to do for fun.

Quote by GaijinFoot
Old chinese proverb says: Man goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger

Wise words
I will be there! Really looking forward to it. Definitely going to Budapest for one day to visit a bathhouse or something like that.

Going to see: Triggerfinger, Wallace Vanborn (yes belgian bands are awesome), Motörhead, flogging molly, 2manydj's, rise against etc etc.
Nope, I'll be at Bloodstock. But I am going to Hungary in about a months time, so if you're still pondering then i can give you some feedback on what Budapest is like.
Up The Boro!
The lineup an sich is indeed not enough of an argument to be travelling al those miles. It is the combination with the atmosphere, the freedom you have there (you can place your tent anywhere you want on the island), the hundreds of activities (including bungie jumping, wine tasting, etc.) and the fact you're in the middle of a culturally rich city that kind of closes the deal for me.

And Belgian people specifically, how will you be going to the festival? (Car, train, airplane, ...)
Quote by ..NEM..
@ Oddsbodkins, please do so, any feedback is much appreciated!
Quote by ..NEM..
I was considering going but I'm being sent to a conference that week.
Damn adult life.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
@Brucewillisman: it is pronounced as Zee (as in the letter Z) - Get (like the verb get). At least, that's how everyone pronounces it here!
Quote by ..NEM..
Quote by White Pony
@Brucewillisman: it is pronounced as Zee (as in the letter Z) - Get (like the verb get). At least, that's how everyone pronounces it here!

no it's not.

Quote by BruceWillisman
How do you pronounce Sziget?

And the lineup isn't too great imo

see-get.

in hungarian, SZ is pronounced as 's"
S is prononuced as SH

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at May 23, 2011,
Thanks for the correction! Now I won't look like a west european idiot (as much).
Quote by ..NEM..
i'm going! it's gonna be the most awesome week of my life!

edit: i'm going with a special partytrain directly to the festival.
Last edited by MatthiasSch at May 23, 2011,
Quote by White Pony
Thanks for the correction! Now I won't look like a west european idiot (as much).

Budapest is awesome. If you get the chance, you should eat Kürtőskalács (impossible to spell phonetically, but it would be closest to (Kir-tush-call-ah-ch). It's the most amazing pastry in the world, served on the street in most fairs. Get it with sugar, vanilla, and walnuts.

Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at May 23, 2011,
Matthias, I'm guessing the one that's sold out? :p

Thanks for the advice by the way fearofthemark, it looks pretty delicious to me, although I doubt I'll remember the name, let alone how to pronounce it. Maybe I'll recognise it when I'm strolling in Budapest, there'll be plenty of time for that anyway (maybe three bands a day I really want to see I estimate).
Quote by ..NEM..
Just get the all-in ticket for 450 bucks and bring a lot of binbags.

Oh and drink laods when you're there, and on the train, and on the way back.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Quote by White Pony
Matthias, I'm guessing the one that's sold out? :p

Thanks for the advice by the way fearofthemark, it looks pretty delicious to me, although I doubt I'll remember the name, let alone how to pronounce it. Maybe I'll recognise it when I'm strolling in Budapest, there'll be plenty of time for that anyway (maybe three bands a day I really want to see I estimate).

Yeah, the name isn't that important, it's just a chimney of delicious pastry with sugar on it made fresh over coals for you. Recognizable by long lines and an irresistible smell.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by Antis0cial
Just get the all-in ticket for 450 bucks and bring a lot of binbags.

Oh and drink laods when you're there, and on the train, and on the way back.

All-in tickets? I haven't heard of those before. What's included in those tickets?
Quote by ..NEM..
Quote by White Pony
All-in tickets? I haven't heard of those before. What's included in those tickets?

Maybe it's only a dutch thing but you just pay one fee. And everything is taken care of. Camping, trainride, rides from train stations, ride back.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
God damn, I wish I could go there. none of my friends have ze money for it,,,,
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
I was at Sziget last year and it was a really good festival.

Although don't believe it's cheap, the festival is mostly foreigners (lots of Dutch people). Most Hungarians can't afford the festival.

The best part of my trip trough Hungary was Palinka. A super strong Hungarian spirit. you should try some! But don't be fooled by the shot glass it is served in.

The funny thing about Hungarian festivals is that there is no camping, just green area's spread trough out the festival terrain where you can place your tent. I got my tent within a 3 minute walk from the main stage which was awesome .

When you're in Budapest you should go to the so called Jewish corner. It has lots of ruin bars which are bars placed in between old abandoned buildings. Some of them are there more for the tourists but you should also visit some local pub. The prices are insanely low. Some are half a Euro for a pint!
Quote by Tyson2011
d von is truly one of the pit.

Quote by 09phillt
Good God Man What's Wrong With You!?
i will be there, definately looking forward to it!

i've heard that it will be cheaper then festivals in western europe (lowlands, pukkelpop) but since it's a festival, it'll probably be more expensive then prices in the rest of the country.

the all in one tickets are dutch only i believe, isn't that train to there organised by 3fm?
i will be renting a minivan with friends of mine, and we'll split the costs. that'll give us a nice trip through central europe too.

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
crap, just now noticed that de jeugd van tegenwoordig are playing they really suck live, and attract a lot of weird people from the netherlands, which i already encouter every day... well, good time to explore budapest then!

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
been twice, had a great time both times. Havn't seen this years line-up though, but because Sziget is a big festival with so many different things going on, even after the main-acts finish, that it isn't even that important. I had some of the the best nights at sziget on days when the headline acts on the main stages were bands I didn't like (meant that drinking started earlier haha ). It's a week-long party on an island, it's brilliant. Anyway, little tip, for your food, there is a huge supermarket just down the road from the island, and you'll save a lot of money getting food here. It's easy to find, there is always a mass trail of people heading there and back in the morning/midday. Just be careful if you try and bring booze in, you'll have to hide it somehow or security will take it off you.

As for Budapest, it's fairly cheap, and quite a nice place. Little tip, if you go to Sziget, make sure to go to the Thermal baths afterwards, after a week festival it's the best thing ever. The centre of Budapest is a bit of a way from Sziget itself, so your unlikely to go there during the festival itself.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at May 24, 2011,
Great advice so far, thanks guys.

Yeah I've heard about the infestation of Dutch people before, it seems to be very popular there (hence the fact there's a special train straight to Budapest). The 3FM train is sold out, or so I've heard but there seems to be another one also. The closest stop seems to be Utrecht, which is still prett far away from where I live though.

It kinda sucks that camping and festival are combined, regarding booze that is. Welp, we'll have sneak it in I suppose. Otherwise, it will be awesome.

@Mprinsje: Yeah I can imagine, saw them two times live myself, not very impressed although there is this weird atmosphere all around. I can't tell if I want to dance along, or just stare at the fans. First time they were pretty good, second time they sucked BAWLZ.

P.S.: No Hungarian people on UG?
Quote by ..NEM..
I just have one huge tip for you: Go check out DeWolff, they're amazing.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Last edited by Kylianvb at May 24, 2011,
I don't like Sziget, it's expensive ( especially from a Hungarian point of view)
And there aren't a lot Hungarians on sziget , mostly foreigners.
There is a much better festival, say : Rockmaraton a week of ROCK!

now that is cheap , the tickets cost 8900Huf if you buy it now (that is about 35 euro) a beer costs less than a euro and the atmosphere is great!