Poll: Which instrument do you write on?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which instrument do you write on?
Guitar (my primary instrument)
38 84%
Guitar (not my primary instrument)
2 4%
Keyboard (my primary instrument)
3 7%
Keyboard (not my primary instrument)
16 36%
Other Instrument (my primary instrument)
3 7%
Other Instrument (not my primary instrument)
5 11%
Paper
3 7%
Computer (with music program)
20 44%
I don't write music
2 4%
Other (explain in post)
1 2%
Voters: 45.
I'm curious to see what instrument most people compose music with, whether it's guitar, keyboard, or another instrument, or if you don't compose on an instrument and instead compose on paper or with a computer. I'm also interested in seeing if people tend to write on their primary instrument or not.

I personally tend to write either on guitar or keyboard, but more guitar, which is my primary instrument.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Guitar, although every once in a while I'll just look at a scale chart and write a tab for something I can't hear (usually when I'm stuck at work without an instrument). It's actually turned out well a couple times, but mostly it's horrible.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Guitar every time, but then again, that's the instrument I'm particularly good at...
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Guitar, Piano, and Bass. Acoustic guitar is my preference, though.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I'm a bassist but I write on acoustic guitar... and bass when I'm writing with my band
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
the only things i write on guitar are for guitar. mostly, i write for orchestra/piano/something that isn't a guitar, so i tend to work on a keyboard more often.

i've also written a couple of good melodies out on paper, without reference to an instrument. if you have a good ear and know music notation, i highly recommend this method -- you might surprise yourself.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I write music on my guitar (because it's the only instrument I have a clue about - I don't even know where middle C is on the piano! >.<, but I put what I've come up with on my guitar onto GuitarPro because (a) my memory can becaome kinda short sometimes as to what I come up with and (b) I can only do so much lead work + rhythm guitar on the same guitar :P
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I write music on my guitar (because it's the only instrument I have a clue about - I don't even know where middle C is on the piano! >.<, but I put what I've come up with on my guitar onto GuitarPro because (a) my memory can becaome kinda short sometimes as to what I come up with and (b) I can only do so much lead work + rhythm guitar on the same guitar :P

It's in the middle.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

play middle C on the guitar, then match it.

don't forget to use concert pitch -- guitar is a transposing instrument.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I write using Guitar Pro, both for my own guitar riffs that I think are pretty cool, and whenever any of my friends write something they think is cool on guitar I generally end up writing the bass and drum tracks for them. I've done a LIIIIIIITTLE writing with keys too but I can't play anything but two of the riffs to Edgar Winter's Frankenstein and the first few bars of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor on keys, I'm pretty bad at it...xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
I write using Guitar Pro, both for my own guitar riffs that I think are pretty cool, and whenever any of my friends write something they think is cool on guitar I generally end up writing the bass and drum tracks for them.

My thing is that I'll write chords or a riff on a real guitar to get the natural rhythm and picking styles etc, then I'll transfer my ideas to Guitar Pro and build the drums around that on there, and then work out a bass line, and finally use that Guitar Pro file as a backing track to improve lead guitar over until I write something I like

Works really well for me
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by AeolianWolf
play middle C on the guitar, then match it.

don't forget to use concert pitch -- guitar is a transposing instrument.

hehe thanks, but I already know that. I'm a music student at school so my knowledge of theory and all the stuff is pretty decent, but I've just never bothered to pick up ( ) the piano. maybe I should one day...