What is it about tube amps that make them more unreliable than solid state amps?
it seems we hear all the horror stories about people destroying their tube amps through the smallest little things.
i figure it's either tube amps are unreliable for some reason, or just people never post the horror stories about solid state amps.

tl;dr, why are tube amps unreliable?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
wow. news to me.

where i worked SS amps came in for repair in far larger numbers than tube amps.

Tube amps aren't unreliable, you just have idiots using them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Uh, aside from blowing out tubes and doing really stupid stuff to them, they seem to be generally more reliable than SS amps. They're also typically a lot easier to repair.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
They are pretty easy to keep running. Don't spill shit on the tubes, and let them warm up while you tune. That is about all the maintenance they need.
Well, tubes are less mechanically rigid than solid state devices, so if your amp falls out the back of a van, the electronic components are more likely to be damaged.
Also, tubes run on much higher voltages than solid state amps, so when something does go wrong, it's usually pretty serious.

Having said that, I wouldn't say they're "unreliable". Because of the higher potential danger, they are usually built to higher standards of construction. Just don't do anything stupid to them and you'll be fine.

Also, this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
What is it about tube amps that make them more unreliable than solid state amps?
it seems we hear all the horror stories about people destroying their tube amps through the smallest little things.
i figure it's either tube amps are unreliable for some reason, or just people never post the horror stories about solid state amps.

Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I don't know that there is any empirical evidence that tube amps are more or less reliable than SS amps. However, they do require routine maintenance more often than SS amps in that tubes need to be replaced from time to time and re-capped around every 10 years or so.
both of my tube amps have been very reliable, more so than my ss amps. Just take care of your tubes and use common sense.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
A) People with SS amps make threads asking what tube amp to buy when their SS amp fails.
B) People with tubes amps ask what's wrong and how to fix it.
Quote by fly135
A) People with SS amps make threads asking what tube amp to buy when their SS amp fails.
B) People with tubes amps ask what's wrong and how to fix it.

True, and hilarious.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Because when a ss amp breaks they get a new amp,
People usually keep their tube amps longer and when something goes wrong they ask how to fix it.

Plus it would be pretty stupid if somebody started a thread and was just like my amps doing great just thought I'd let you know
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 23, 2011,
Quote by blooddrunk
Mainly because you dont know how to look after them.

i know full well how to look after my tube amp, it is going great as it happens.

it just seems to me that whenever you see a thread on UG, it's always about tube amps and not SS amps, which led me to think that tube amps are less reliable
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon

That sounds like trolling...

I've never had a problem with any of my tube or solid state amps. And while they take some abuse, I also take pretty good care of them. You could ask why your car is so unreliable after it dies because you never cleaned your airfilter, changed your oil, or checked on your spark plugs from time to time.
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
i know full well how to look after my tube amp, it is going great as it happens.

it just seems to me that whenever you see a thread on UG, it's always about tube amps and not SS amps, which led me to think that tube amps are less reliable

Probably because more people have tube amps.
It might be that the tubes are made of glass. Just sayin'.

Although, I've had the same tubes in my Bassman for like 3 years now with moderate usage and it's still fine.
Tube amps are not unreliable, you just have to look after them more. Allow tubes to heat, impedence matching, plenty of food/water, a good home ect.

Oh and singing to them keeps them happy too.
Quote by Seref
It might be that the tubes are made of glass. Just sayin'.

Although, I've had the same tubes in my Bassman for like 3 years now with moderate usage and it's still fine.

Wow. Are you using it clean?

I was blowing through power valves in 4 months with my 2204.

Granted, the Master volume was always at 6 or higher...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I've never had problems from any of the tube amps i've owned.

I was once in a band with a guy who owned a JCM2000 halfstack that was CONSTANTLY sh*tting out. To be fair though, I think the unreliability problem was more because of him mistreating the thing than it being a tube.

Take care of your stuff, don't do moronic things to it and you'll be good.

Generally speaking.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Wow. Are you using it clean?

I was blowing through power valves in 4 months with my 2204.

Granted, the Master volume was always at 6 or higher...

Yeah, the Bassman is my clean amp and I have a 2203 as my dirty amp.

It's not actually "mine," my bassist owns it. I've just been borrowing it for several years It's my live setup, at home and usually in practice I use an ElevenRack into a monitor with emulated out, or an 18 watt tube amp I built.
Last edited by Seref at May 23, 2011,
I think the reason tube amps pop up on UG for problems is because people buy them not knowing what maintenance the amps needs, so when something goes wrong, its usually just some kind of maintenance thing they didn't know.

When a solid state amp starts having problems, all hell will break loose.