i want to learn songs by ear, i watched this video and he says you learn songs by listening to intervals. (the guy in that vid made trainear.com)

i dont see how you can apply that to advanced guitar songs, all kinds of different notes on various strings :S

i also read this and it just confused me even more, so all the intervals are based on a key? how does this work!

i really dont understand it, i think i need to learn about note theory first? what should i learn?
I am actually working on an article for my site (magicbooktheory.com) on just this subject right now!

intervals are a very integral part of theory. when he says learning intervals will help, he is right. just knowing what they are wont however. think about it this way: we all know what a pentatonic scale sound like yes? you could probably tell if someone was soloing with one. that's because you have learned the intervals used to make up that scale subconsciously.

I'll PM you with a link to the article once I'm finished, if you're still interested.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
^ yeah, thats true about the penatonic scale thing. cool, please do PM that article when your done
Quote by jynxiex401
^ yeah, thats true about the penatonic scale thing. cool, please do PM that article when your done

Will do. It's been too long since I've actually updated the site >.<
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for your website. I use it alot and its very helpfull.
Quote by jynxiex401
i want to learn songs by ear, i watched this video and he says you learn songs by listening to intervals. (the guy in that vid made trainear.com)

i dont see how you can apply that to advanced guitar songs, all kinds of different notes on various strings :S

i also read this and it just confused me even more, so all the intervals are based on a key? how does this work!

i really dont understand it, i think i need to learn about note theory first? what should i learn?

Honestly, rather than reading more about the subject, just start learning to recognise the intervals by ear and call them by name. Then when you can hear accurately it's a lot easier to explain stuff like keys, and you'll understand how it works for transcribing tricky guitar stuff.
Quote by DenK
I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for your website. I use it alot and its very helpfull.

Thank you. Without any way to get feedback (without asking for it here XD) it's hard to realize if i've made an impact. This just made my day. Thank you.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain