I am an airline pilot. Been using a Traveler Speedster for about 2 plus years. I have beaten it up pretty good and am just not happy with the tone/sound anymore. Also I don't like the action very much. Was thinking of upgrading. I have been eyeing 3 so far:

1.) Hohner G3T (hard to find but they are out there).

2.) Traveler EG-2 (like the built in AMP, iphone, and headphone jack)

3.) Steinberger SS-2F

I think the traveler just might be a slight upgrade to my current one. The other two seem like solid guitars. I really want something with a normal size fretboard and good tone. Again this will be for travel only not a primary guitar. I play Rock and Blues (not metal). I will be using it through an IPAD (Garage Band, Amplitude , and a Line 6 Pocket Pod).

Anyone have these and can comment on tone, portability, playability, and durability? Also any other recommendations welcome.

Mark
I was looking into a 'travel' guitar and to be honest for the money all you get is a guitar that's only suitable/useable while travelling. As a pilot, do you get more stowage allowance for your bags? If you can use wardrobe closets on the plane I would consider a full sized electric with a decent traveller/road case.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I was looking into a 'travel' guitar and to be honest for the money all you get is a guitar that's only suitable/useable while travelling. As a pilot, do you get more stowage allowance for your bags? If you can use wardrobe closets on the plane I would consider a full sized electric with a decent traveller/road case.

Yes storage is no problem. But I really don't want to lug around a full size ( I do a lot of walking around terminals). 6 lb'ish is about right. That is why i was considering the 3 above. I'm really leaning towards the Hohner, but don't like the idea of having to purchase double ball strings sets for it.
<<<------------------ wondering whether seeing the pilot get on the plane with a guitar would make me feel safer or not.
Quote by Spud Spudly
<<<------------------ wondering whether seeing the pilot get on the plane with a guitar would make me feel safer or not.

Don't worry, I am too busy taking a nap to play guitar ;-). Don't think it would be good job security playing it while I'm flying...
Jamning with the pilot on long flight would be really good in-fligth entertainment!
I am looking for a travel guitar myself, so I think, I need to stalk this thread.
Alright people, Move along - there is nothing to see.
"Or so you think..."
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I would definitely go with a Steinberger over a travel guitar any-day. They are great quality guitars small in size and full scale plus have the full features of a normal electric. I think it would make you a perfect guitar for your situation and will be great for normal everyday use as-well.

Yes, I think that is the way I am going to go. I am leaning a bit more to the Hohner because I like the pick-up configuration and it's a little less $...
Steinberger spirits are good at the 400 price point while synapses are good for around the 1000 price point. I wouldnt call them travel guitars but regular guitars that fit easily in overhead storage. Ive flyed with mine about a half dozen times with zero issues.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master