Has UG ever put on it's own online gig?

Most of us supported that band get endorsed by Marshall on here and they streamed a gig live for us all to see. And I know UG at least attended a gig in Camden and interviewed a few UG members (AidyDamage was one if I remember correctly).

However it doesn't seem that UG/The Pit has ever organized it's own live gigs. Which seems like a good idea considering the site is full of musicians hoping that their band makes it, why not give a helping hand?

I know some bands on here have mics and PA's they could use to get good audio quality, but even Webcam mics and just acoustic guitars can work out okay if needs be.

Assuming we all use a service like UStream, we could even have bands on one after the other, leaving links to each band's feed and their order on a thread made for each gig.

Thinking about it, this has probably been discussed/attempted before but I just thought it was a good idea. Please discuss whether you'd watch a UG gig/would play in one/what format you think they should be played out in.

EDIT: For those in the Electronic thread: Could you not get some speakers (which alot of you have) and use Virtual DJ (assuming you don't have decks) and do something similar but with each artist playing a 15 minute mix?
Last edited by willT08 at May 23, 2011,
This sounds pretty cool. Probably hard to organize, but cool nonetheless. If there were online UG gigs I'd be down to attend, would be fun.
Quote by willT08
Has UG ever put on it's own online gig?

Most of us supported that band get endorsed by Marshall on here and they streamed a gig live for us all to see. And I know UG at least attended a gig in Camden and interviewed a few UG members (AidyDamage was one if I remember correctly).

However it doesn't seem that UG/The Pit has ever organized it's own live gigs. Which seems like a good idea considering the site is full of musicians hoping that their band makes it, why not give a helping hand?

I know some bands on here have mics and PA's they could use to get good audio quality, but even Webcam mics and just acoustic guitars can work out okay if needs be.

Assuming we all use a service like UStream, we could even have bands on one after the other, leaving links to each band's feed and their order on a thread made for each gig.

Thinking about it, this has probably been discussed/attempted before but I just thought it was a good idea. Please discuss whether you'd watch a UG gig/would play in one/what format you think they should be played out in.

EDIT: For those in the Electronic thread: Could you not get some speakers (which alot of you have) and use Virtual DJ (assuming you don't have decks) and do something similar but with each artist playing a 15 minute mix?

Dude, we organised gigs in London and Edinburgh. We worked our arses off and spent a lot of our own money for that.

We've also been involved with two music festivals for north and south England.
Quote by Colohue
Dude, we organised gigs in London and Edinburgh. We worked our arses off and spent a lot of our own money for that.

We've also been involved with two music festivals for north and south England.

Fair enough. I only heard about the one in London when I read the article about it.

But still, if it's just streaming stuff over the internet there's little cost and it could be a community run thing. If we can put together a magazine i'm sure we can make sure people are at the right feeds at the right time. I didn't mean to demean any of that, I just thought this was a cool idea that could be semi-regular, cheap and help people get known.
Quote by willT08
Fair enough. I only heard about the one in London when I read the article about it.

But still, if it's just streaming stuff over the internet there's little cost and it could be a community run thing. If we can put together a magazine i'm sure we can make sure people are at the right feeds at the right time. I didn't mean to demean any of that, I just thought this was a cool idea that could be semi-regular, cheap and help people get known.

Yeah. Sounds good until you encounter the real problem with projects such as this:

People.
Quote by Colohue
Yeah. Sounds good until you encounter the real problem with projects such as this:

People.

People and sandworms, you mean.

Well yes, people are an issue. But this would be people who want to get their name out there so there's more incentive for them to be professional. It's by no means a perfect plan but i'm sure I, along with others, would be willing to put in some effort to get this done.

We'd need:

-Booking Agent
-Promoter
-Acts (with 1 member dedicated to keeping in touch with the people in control)
-An organizer (keeping in contact with bands throughout the gig, letting them know how long they've got till their set, and making sure they're even their in the first place)

Anything else?
Quote by Colohue
How about an audience?

I figured the promoter would be responsible for getting an audience...
Not what I meant.

First off, you need to lay out a marketing concept in order to appeal to people. That means you need the following:

- Target Audience
- Promotional Agenda
- Personal Interest

So, basically, if you work out how much time you're willing to invest, how you want to promote, and who you intend to market your concept to, then you can move forwards. Best you work that out first though.
Quote by Colohue
Not what I meant.

First off, you need to lay out a marketing concept in order to appeal to people. That means you need the following:

- Target Audience
- Promotional Agenda
- Personal Interest

So, basically, if you work out how much time you're willing to invest, how you want to promote, and who you intend to market your concept to, then you can move forwards. Best you work that out first though.

Target Audience: All of UG, but The Pit, Original Recordings and Promote Your Band boards in particular.

Promotional Agenda: Threads in those 3 boards made by prominent users, maybe stickied if allowed. Possibly an article on the front page...I dunno, this would all take effort but that's how I'd go about advertising on UG.

Not really sure what you mean by Personal Interest though.
Are you willing to work for no pay, no credit and no reward for hours at a time, for weeks on end, to see your project realised, even while other people abandon it?
The office tried to get something like this going at one point, hell, I even tested some of it for them. To the best of my knowledge though it fell apart because:

A. People were pulling out
B. A lot of people would have no interest in watching live streams of the majority of UG bands(There are some exceptions though)
C. Due to the international nature of the community, streaming would have to be done from the users own house/practice area/place, and on their internet connection. Which raised further problems with the quality of the connection, and more importantly, the quality of the equipment used to record and broadcast.