Does the LP Studio have this type of fret ends:

(Invalid img)

I know I could go to a store and see for myself but it's a holiday today

appreciate the help guys
thanks, I was going through the gibson website and didn't come across anything, guess I don't have your magic
Glad I could help. I honestly think those exposed fret ends are kind of ugly. I like necks with binding.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Glad I could help. I honestly think those exposed fret ends are kind of ugly. I like necks with binding.

you say that, but just you wait till your guitar needs a re-fret

but yeah, gibson les paul studios do have exposed fret-edges, but more often than not they are nicely filed down at the edges so you can't feel them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i like necks with binding too, if it wasn't for the fret ends being exposed like that I'd get a LP Studio, I still might get one because I can't find much else in the price range that I like
Quote by Blompcube
you say that, but just you wait till your guitar needs a re-fret

I just throw them out at that point and start over.

But really, a lot the Epis have binding. This one has a good price, binding and Gibson Burstbuckers:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-50th-Anniversary-Les-Paul-Version-3-Electric-Guitar?sku=H08803

Of course it still says Epiphone on it.
Quote by Spud Spudly

that's just... sad.

but +1 on that epi recommendation. i can't speak for the quality, but the long tenon neck sure is a plus - i wish gibson made more les pauls with the long tenon. it really enhances the sustain a lot.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

ya im also considering getting an epi and maybe upgrading the pickups and tuners, but if i get the studio ill get alpine white with the ebony board and gold hardware, which is pretty nice, im kind of leaning towards that right now
I have that Gibson LP Studio like that mizxou. The Ebony fretboard is nice. I put a gold Bigsby with the vibramate mount on it and it's Sweeeet!
What's wrong with frets ending like that? As long as they aren't sticking out they're fine. Even then, they are easy to fix.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
they are filed down and painted over
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
so now it turns out the alpine white with gold is discontinued so I'd have to get one used, which is fine, but I can't believe they don't/didn't make all the colors with an ebony board, that would have been awesome, I can't get a black one with a rosewood board, it's just not right...

anyway, while we're at it, does any one know of any guitars besides the LTD ec1000 that would rival the LP Studio? I can't seem to find many
yamaha sg-500, sg-800, sg-1000 etc...

lp type build, thin bound neck, sexy, mojo...
Yes, just looked at mine and yes it has those frent ends
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by Spud Spudly

But really, a lot the Epis have binding. This one has a good price, binding and Gibson Burstbuckers:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-50th-Anniversary-Les-Paul-Version-3-Electric-Guitar?sku=H08803

Of course it still says Epiphone on it.
The binding works as far as aesthetics go but it's not really the same as Gibson's binding. If you just want the look of binding then the Epiphones work fine, but the feel of a bound Gibson neck is different than that of an Epiphone because the Epis don't have nibs on their fret ends.
Quote by al112987
The binding works as far as aesthetics go but it's not really the same as Gibson's binding. If you just want the look of binding then the Epiphones work fine, but the feel of a bound Gibson neck is different than that of an Epiphone because the Epis don't have nibs on their fret ends.

Are nibs a good thing?
nibs are a wonderful thing, you could never accidentally cut yourself or prick yourself on nibs

gregs - thanks for the recommendations but I don't dig those yammy's, also I have a great dislike for sg's...
Quote by Spud Spudly
Are nibs a good thing?
Depends on preference honestly. I like the way they feel, it makes a neck more comfortable to play. But it makes re-fretting a huge pain. Nibs look and feel nice, no nibs just look nice.
Quote by mizxou
nibs are a wonderful thing, you could never accidentally cut yourself or prick yourself on nibs

gregs - thanks for the recommendations but I don't dig those yammy's, also I have a great dislike for sg's...

uhm... SGs as in gibson SGs are nothing to do with yamaha SGs at all... just sayin'..

i just have to ask.. do you judge a book entirely by its cover?

I was just talking about the shape, im sure some are great guitars, just not my style is all
do the studio necks not feel right to you because of the lack of binding?
I have a studio and a standard. The neck on the studio is fairly smooth so I usually don't even notice the difference that the binding makes. As everyone else has mentioned you have to go try yourself to see what you like. I like both my LPs for different reasons. Hoping to get a Goldtop here soon too.
Quote by mizxou

I getchya, SGs are offbalanced and awkward imo. I'm sure the sound is good and all but I can't get past a neck weighing more than the body. Les Pauls sit much better on your lap - The Studio is a great guitar. I got one on clearance at Guitar Center and it's a great rock and Metallica/Mastodon metal guitar; pretty good for cleans and some jazzy stuff too. Forget the Epiphone and just go for the kill and get a Gibson Studio. You can find them decently priced and they go on clearance relatively often at GC from what I can tell
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Last edited by boratian at May 24, 2011,
Quote by mizxou
I was just talking about the shape, im sure some are great guitars, just not my style is all

that's not what i meant - yamaha SGs are nothing like gibson SGs. they are like les pauls, only with 2 cutaways. the only reason i can think of for disliking a yamaha SG because you dislike SGs, if you also happen to like les pauls, would be because it's called an SG.

what i meant by judging a book by its cover is, you seem like you're only interested in how a guitar looks. i doubt you'd feel a difference between a fretboard with binding and one without, especially one where the edge of the fretboard is laquered.

it's just the two pointies i don't like...you're probably right I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between a bound and unbound neck on feel alone...not only am I interested in the guitars looks but also it's playing power...what's the point of all this again?
Quote by mizxou
it's just the two pointies i don't like...you're probably right I wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between a bound and unbound neck on feel alone...not only am I interested in the guitars looks but also it's playing power...what's the point of all this again?

apparently how a fret board edge looks, and how a guitar looks.

and that having the right kind of fretboard edge is outweighed by the overall shape of a guitar.

no mention of neck profile, or radius etc...

what the **** is playing power?

edit: why would anyone want to be the least bit different from the masses? dunno, it worked for carlos though.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
apparently how a fret board edge looks, and how a guitar looks.

and that having the right kind of fretboard edge is outweighed by the overall shape of a guitar.

no mention of neck profile, or radius etc...

what the **** is playing power?

edit: why would anyone want to be the least bit different from the masses? dunno, it worked for carlos though.

that.

really, please define 'playing power'.

here's some playing power.

pardon the ugliness.

Quote by mizxou
at least that's settled

definition of playing power?

that's cool.

i just like to point out the yamahas to people having issues with gibby studios. yammys are build similarly to LP standards in design with necks a bit thinner than a typical 60's profile, and at a high level of build quality. (fuji-gen plant, japan) mostly during the 80s which was a particularly good time for them. imo anyway. they have recently been reissued. (the higher 3 models only actually)

good luck with the search.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 25, 2011,