I have a Fender Blues Junior tube amp and I am experiencing no issues with it currently.

Might as well turn this into something somewhat relevant... So since I never did a NAD for it anyway:

I picked it up for $300 off of Craigslist after selling my 1975 Bassman 100 and Avatar 2x12... Quite a step down in power and value, but I'm actually extremely happy.

Review: I've had it for a few weeks and love the tone, though I've been tweaking with tubes a bit since getting it. Its a bit more chimey than most Fenders, with a bell-like clean tone at lower volumes. It does start to break up fairly early, I'd say 6 or 7 on both preamp and master depending on how the other is set. The preamp overdrive is a bit nasally to me, but the power amp sounds great, nice smooth creamy goodness. I've played with drums on one occasion and other guitars a couple times and it seems to be fine for jamming, but not necessarily a good choice for a gigging musician. You could get away with it, but you'd definitely regret it in some circumstances. The reverb seems pretty good, a bit heavy even on low settings, but still usable.

I upgraded the power tubes from Sovteks to JJs and that smoothed it out a good bit. Its a lot more clear now. Then I found BillM's review of different 12AX7 variants for cleaning it up, and after some playing around it seems his V1-12AT7, V2-12AX7, V3-12AY7 is a pretty good set up. It doesn't do much for the power amp, but the preamp is much cleaner. It also got rid of some of the hum.

Next up I've ordered a Cannabis Rex to throw in there, which I've heard great things about. I'll report back with the results later.

Pics to come.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 23, 2011,
new amp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
swap out the preamp tubes one by one
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
swap out the preamp tubes one by one

I tried this actually. It sounds a little different each time, but still works.

Thanks for the advice though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Dang. Take it to a tech.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
no, something has to be wrong.

it's a tube amp, but i don't think it's stereo. however for a tube amp it is very good. don't plug a turntable into it, just use it for guitar if it works.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Unplug the speaker and see if that hurts?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I just want to make sure everything's OK. I've heard tube amps are unreliable so I fear mine may have some kind of hyper-reliability issue... You know the saying 'If it ain't broke, start unplugging stuff.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I say take out all the tubes and then stick tiny screw drives in each of the sockets. Then unplug the speaker, but plug a stereo cable into the speaker out and run that into a hollowbody guitar. Then turn the amp on with every knob all the way up

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
I say take out all the tubes and then stick tiny screw drives in each of the sockets. Then unplug the speaker, but plug a stereo cable into the speaker out and run that into a hollowbody guitar. Then turn the amp on with every knob all the way up

I read an interview with Jimi Hendrix where he described that process exactly. I'm definitely gonna try that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by SimplyBen
Turn it upside down and shake it while standing in the shower. See what happens.

fixed
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Simplyben
Turn it upside down and shake it in the shower, while it's plugged in. See what happens.
fixed

Further fixed.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Stop spamming my NAD guys.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Stop spamming my NAD guys.

reported.

no pics.
Thank you so much OP, i was worried cause i heard tube amps were unreliable.
Phew now i can sleep tonight
Damn, I tried to make this non-spam so I don't have to delete it, but I don't have any as of now... I'll post some tonight. Blues Junior NADs are boring anyway. Mine's not even tweed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Spice it up somehow. The best NAD I have ever seen was for a krank rev jr. head. Not really a crazy awesome special amp, but the presentation was amazing haha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Eh, I haven't done a NGD thread for a while, they're a lot of work. Speaking of work I'm at work which is why I put this much effort into it to begin with... That and so Kyle doesn't come at me with his graduation gift.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by TheQuailman
Have you tried licking the power outlet?

Is that what they call it in Germany?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You got it wrong. 'Buzz buzz fun time' is this:

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sticky plz.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Sticky plz.

Yours got sticky too?

Nice amp TS!
Thanks gregs... Its got that great Fender clean.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
They sure do huh?

Hey, I'm going to eBay off those 6l6s you sent me. I'll paypal you whatever I get so you can preamp tube shop. I actually have a few fun preamps I can send you from my 5e3 experiments.
That'd be cool, either way.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Be sure to take it to an unqualified tech. If there's nothing wrong with it currently, they'll be able to fix that for you.
replace the fuses and the caps.

definitely replace all the pots just cuz.

don't forget to soak the entire amp in a bathtub full of detoxit.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ That's my line!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Don't forget the barrel roll. Its good for the toanzzzz
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
where are the pics TS?

pics or it's a mustang.
Oh man, sorry the pics took a while... My amp started making weird noises and smoking when I tried of the advice in here. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Somehow after all that though, my amp's doing fine. I just thought I'd update the thread to let you know.

Pics:

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
someone needs a tuner.

That tuner setup works perfectly.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 24, 2011,