So i will be buying one of these babies soon, and i wanted to know your impressions of it, if you had any problems with it, it's performance etc etc.

I appreciate your answers!
I played one which I really, really liked. The tone was a little on the shrill side and didn't really have enough oomph for me. I would play one first but I definitely almost bought it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I've played it a couple of times, as well as the Quad EL84, which is pretty similar. Great cleans (and quite a few different clean tones if you use the "twang" switch and mess with the EQ). The drive is good for anything up to hair metal. It doesn't do any modern tones though. Not a problem if you want some modern rock tones, as that's a genre that's relatively forgiving tone-wise, but if you want modern metal tones, it's not the amp for you.
It's a relatively bright amp and though I have not had the chance to use it in a band-situation, I imagine it would cut pretty well. It's not as ballsy as other amps that are made for more contemporary tones around it's wattage, not to speak of bigger amps.
They've been great value in Europe ever since the price dropped, though there may be better options at the same price in other places.

That's the gist of it. Anything specific you want to know?
I've had one for a couple of years. It's a nice amp, seems very reliable - I've never had any problems. Sounds pretty good at low volumes and, as you'd expect, better when you turn it up.

It seems pretty good for what I play - blues, classic rock, hard rock - but I don't know how it would cope with anything higher gain. Saying that, I never have really turned the gain up past about 10-11 o'clock and normally keep it down about 9-10 and get a nice overdriven tone. The boost function on the drive channel is awesome as well, gives a nice solo boost with a bit more 'cut' to it.

The 'cleans' are pretty nice too. Not pristine, and, as you may expect, limited headroom, but the break up is really nice when you get to it, and at lower volumes it does sound really good clean.

I play a MIM strat & RG1570 (w/BKP Abraxas & IT) and it takes both equally well. It's not particularly noisy. If I'm playing with my Strat I don't even notice the noise. Unsurprisingly, there is a noticeable difference switching H to S on my RG, but it's not bad.

The only pedal I use is a MXR carbon copy in the effects loop. Nothing to compare it to, but the loop seems to do the job perfectly well.

I used to own a line6 Flextone III XL - which was a 120w (solid state) amp (IIRC), don't be fooled, this thing can get pretty loud. It can shake my house. Literally.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a great amp, and I can't recommend it more highly, but - as always - try it out yourself first.
Adam
Oh sorry guys I forgot to mention, i play blues ( rory gallagher, muddy waters...that type). I've only seen it in a catalogue and listened to some demos, but it didn't give me a full picture of the amp. So far i heard that it's really nice amp. I like warm cleans, and sometimes with a bit of overdrive. Don't go into metal stuff. Well, i'm all set to buy one, after i heard your reviews. Thanks a lot!
Yeah, seems like you might like it. Check out the Dual 6L6, it's my favourite of the Statesman models. For low gain tones it beats the EL84 models imo, though it is a bit dearer. All of these are rather bright and jangly btw, so if you want something that's really really warm, you might have to get used to them first.
A single coil guitar and a Statesman should get you reasonably close.
EDIT: I still think the 6L6 is better, but the EL84 will do in a pinch... which one you'd like better I don't know, it's basically just two different flavours.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 23, 2011,
aren't there some solid state shenanigans in those?

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade or anything, but we give blackstar a hard enough time for doing that, so I like to be consistent in my trolling...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I never knew that. Not complaining really, still sounds good - but I've owned the amp for about 3 - 4 years now and was under the impression it was all tube. Strange.
Adam
It's hard to get any real info on it, since H&K just refuses to say anything too specific about it. They know the amp would lose some appeal if they slapped "hybrid" on it. But agreed, the amps sound very nice, so whatever.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 24, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, the preamp's most likely hybrid. H&K isn't outright bullshitting people about it, so I'm not complaining.

well, i'd agree it's not quite as bad as BS, but it's not exactly ideal either...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, the preamp's most likely hybrid. H&K isn't outright bullshitting people about it, so I'm not complaining.

It never occured to me that there could be hybrids. Ah well