Hey guys,

Check out a piece I wrote a little while ago and just recently recorded. I'll crit anything you send my way as well.

http://soundcloud.com/fichtezc/solus-original-fingerstyle

Edit:

Here's the video! Finally got it uploaded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35bQbWKc54
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at May 30, 2011,
First of all well done... Very nicely done. I have nothing to bad to say about it really. I really loved it... Very andy mckee style. The hitting the body of the guitar and the use of pinch harmonics (i think thats what they are called) is very good and very similar to andy... Good job!

here is mine:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27250592&posted=1#post27250592

Oh another question... What mic's are you using? I am looking for some good ones and I live in the UK. IF you listen to my recording, you will see why I need mic's (As well as work on my actual playing :p )
Quote by DarrenReeder
First of all well done... Very nicely done. I have nothing to bad to say about it really. I really loved it... Very andy mckee style. The hitting the body of the guitar and the use of pinch harmonics (i think thats what they are called) is very good and very similar to andy... Good job!

here is mine:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27250592&posted=1#post27250592

Oh another question... What mic's are you using? I am looking for some good ones and I live in the UK. IF you listen to my recording, you will see why I need mic's (As well as work on my actual playing :p )

I used no pinches, but where did you hear what you thought they were? I can tell ya what they actually are!

I'll crit yours in a second.

As for mics: I take it you have no gear other than the PC mic? I've been there, I started with a $5 mic from walmart. To be honest, that's probably the worst recording quality I have turned out in a while. Listen to the Everytime We Touch arrangement on my page and you'll hear a better one. HOWEVER, I would suggest you get a 2 channel, USB interface and some sort of condenser microphone. How much are you willing to spend? I can give you more personal ideas of what to get after you tell me that.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I didn't mean pinch harmonic, I mean just normal harmonics... (Like, where you slightly touch a string over the 12th fret to get the harmonic sound)..

And I have no budget as I am going to get a job as soon as I am able to and I will save all my money to buy equipment. Although realalisticly I want to get the cheapest possible but one that will last me quite a while and that can record Guitar, bass, electric drums and maybe even a voice....
Quote by DarrenReeder
I didn't mean pinch harmonic, I mean just normal harmonics... (Like, where you slightly touch a string over the 12th fret to get the harmonic sound)..

And I have no budget as I am going to get a job as soon as I am able to and I will save all my money to buy equipment. Although realalisticly I want to get the cheapest possible but one that will last me quite a while and that can record Guitar, bass, electric drums and maybe even a voice....

Yeah, I use natural harmonics everywhere.

As for what you said, I would get an M-Audio fast track which is a little more than $100USD and a Golden Age Project FC1 mk.ii condenser mic for the same price. It will do both acoustic and electric guitars as well as voice. For electric drums...I don't know. I usually just mic a set. Those two would last you a long, long time though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
WOW!!!!! That is all I can say. Excellent job man. Its just such a good mix. You have so many factors playing in, interesting melodies, natural harmonics, slapping, and it all combines to form a interesting and highly enjoyable listen. Are those hand drums I hear in the background as well? Excellent job man.
Quote by Thricerocks
WOW!!!!! That is all I can say. Excellent job man. Its just such a good mix. You have so many factors playing in, interesting melodies, natural harmonics, slapping, and it all combines to form a interesting and highly enjoyable listen. Are those hand drums I hear in the background as well? Excellent job man.

Thanks so much! As for the hand drums, that's actually me drumming on the guitar while I'm playing. My left hand is tapping the notes out while my right is drumming.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
This is great man, really relaxing and melodically interesting. Reminiscent of John Butler in parts. Out of interest, what tuning are you using? Everything sounds clear, and every note can be heard, which shows your obvious clear understanding of dynamics.

I really like the difference in timbre of the percussion on the guitar, well thought out and well executed too.

Overall, great job man, I really enjoyed it. If you wanted to return the crit, I've got a few acoustic/vocal covers in my profile you could look at if you like.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
This is great man, really relaxing and melodically interesting. Reminiscent of John Butler in parts. Out of interest, what tuning are you using? Everything sounds clear, and every note can be heard, which shows your obvious clear understanding of dynamics.

I really like the difference in timbre of the percussion on the guitar, well thought out and well executed too.

Overall, great job man, I really enjoyed it. If you wanted to return the crit, I've got a few acoustic/vocal covers in my profile you could look at if you like.

It's a variation of DADGAD. You drop the high D to a C so it's like DADGAC. Very beautiful tuning. I picked it up from Katoro Oshio. I'm so glad you noticed the dynamics, that's what I spent the most time on with this song.

I'll definitely return a crit to ya, I'm about to play a show so it'll probably come around later tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks so much.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Hey, if you're interested I just picked up a new set of small diaphragm condenser mics and really improved the recording quality.

http://soundcloud.com/fichtezc/solus-original-fingerstyle-1

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Again, beautifully played, but now with a much better sound quality, condensers are the only way IMHO to record acoustic guitars, and the more you have, for this type of music, the better, I find. How have you placed yours, out of interest?

Percussion and harmonics sound much clearer, and defined, and the bright, sweet Taylor sound really comes out with the condensers. Hope to hear more from you man, keep it up
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Again, beautifully played, but now with a much better sound quality, condensers are the only way IMHO to record acoustic guitars, and the more you have, for this type of music, the better, I find. How have you placed yours, out of interest?

Percussion and harmonics sound much clearer, and defined, and the bright, sweet Taylor sound really comes out with the condensers. Hope to hear more from you man, keep it up

Yeah, I've done some good stuff with two SM57s in the past but it's significantly easier with the condensers. They sound a lot better right off the bat. I have these ones placed with one pointing at the body joint and one over my shoulder. Not to push this too hard, but I just uploaded the video of the new recording so you can see exactly how I set it up. It's the same recording though so no need to listen to it all.

Yeah, the Taylor tone REALLY comes through these mics. If ya wanna hear more there's a demo on my channel called "Greenwood Station" which is the beginning of a new song in that style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35bQbWKc54

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thats an amazing track man! Loved how you played the bass and the melody together. I wish I could do that thumb independence thing you seem to have done throughout this track!

Great percussion all through as well. Specially during the latter stages of the track, I loved the feel you got going. Great, great track over all.

Check out my track on:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446946
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Quote by hitman_47
Thats an amazing track man! Loved how you played the bass and the melody together. I wish I could do that thumb independence thing you seem to have done throughout this track!

Great percussion all through as well. Specially during the latter stages of the track, I loved the feel you got going. Great, great track over all.

Check out my track on:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446946

Thanks! Most people don't notice that I'm playing it ALL until they see the video. All it takes is a ton of practice, I'm sure you could figure it out!

Thanks very much! I'll crit yours momentarily.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
that was a great sounding piece. the dynamics made all the difference. you have great control on producing those harmonics. if i had to make a suggestion, it would be to cut some of the repeated riffs out to make the song shorter, and thats only because imo the bass F-G-A progression goes on a bit too long. either that or change up the chord progression. other than that very minor suggestion that was well written song.

C4C? check out my prog metal instrumental
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446935
Quote by drunken ninja
that was a great sounding piece. the dynamics made all the difference. you have great control on producing those harmonics. if i had to make a suggestion, it would be to cut some of the repeated riffs out to make the song shorter, and thats only because imo the bass F-G-A progression goes on a bit too long. either that or change up the chord progression. other than that very minor suggestion that was well written song.

C4C? check out my prog metal instrumental
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446935

Yeah, you're right about the ascending bass line. I used to develop it more but a couple people commented that it wasn't coherent enough. To each his own I guess haha.

I'll crit yours by the end of the night! Even though I play primarily acoustic, I know my piece about metal and rock and the like.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Dude, definitely getting the Andy vibes in that piece, in the best possible way

The two percussive parts had Andy written all over them, especially the second one, with the finger rolls. Very impressive

I gotta say those long pauses caught me off guard, I thought you were gonna switch to a new song or something

Brilliant and tasteful

The next part you went into with the hammer/pulloffs reminded me of Buckethead's acoustic stuff. awesome

And then you killed it with those harp harmonics on the outro. That had Andy written all over it

Dude to be honest, that song was prettier than a lot of Andy's songs, which is saying a lot

I think you could tackle some Bob Zabek if you wanna get crazy with the legato. Check him out on youtube, he is not well known but he may be one of the best touchstyle players, hands down.

When you get a chance check out the song in my profile I'd love to hear your criticism
Quote by bitterend85
Dude, definitely getting the Andy vibes in that piece, in the best possible way

The two percussive parts had Andy written all over them, especially the second one, with the finger rolls. Very impressive

I gotta say those long pauses caught me off guard, I thought you were gonna switch to a new song or something

Brilliant and tasteful

The next part you went into with the hammer/pulloffs reminded me of Buckethead's acoustic stuff. awesome

And then you killed it with those harp harmonics on the outro. That had Andy written all over it

Dude to be honest, that song was prettier than a lot of Andy's songs, which is saying a lot

I think you could tackle some Bob Zabek if you wanna get crazy with the legato. Check him out on youtube, he is not well known but he may be one of the best touchstyle players, hands down.

When you get a chance check out the song in my profile I'd love to hear your criticism

Yeah, McKee is one of my great influences though honestly I didn't even think of him when I wrote this, it just came out that way. Thank you for your comments though, they really mean a lot.

If you like those hammer/pull offs check out Trace Bundy's song Dueling Ninjas. Very similar idea executed masterfully.

I'll check out Bob on youtube and drop you a comment on your profile! Thank you!

Quote by aaron aardvark
Artemis,
Guitar playing is nice! Nice melodies! Very nice song. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446711

I'm on it!

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Wow... I haven't anything negative to say. I mean, I was mesmerized watching your video. You had this real "one-man band" feel.

The natural harmonics were very classy and really added to your song. They were used a lot, however, you did an excellent job of making sure that they didn't get annoying or overused.

The tapping the the body of the acoustic was amazing. The fact that you also maintained the actual playing (as opposed to only doing the percussion) was awesome. Laso, the complexity of it was great. You kept away from the annoying "metronome" feel.

I honestly was amazed. I thought, at multiple points, that I was hearing a second guitar. You interweaved the bass parts and high parts wonderfully.

Overall, excellent piece of work. I'm definately going to show your video around. Simply awesome.

C4C:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446426
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Quote by DaysofGrace
Wow... I haven't anything negative to say. I mean, I was mesmerized watching your video. You had this real "one-man band" feel.

The natural harmonics were very classy and really added to your song. They were used a lot, however, you did an excellent job of making sure that they didn't get annoying or overused.

The tapping the the body of the acoustic was amazing. The fact that you also maintained the actual playing (as opposed to only doing the percussion) was awesome. Laso, the complexity of it was great. You kept away from the annoying "metronome" feel.

I honestly was amazed. I thought, at multiple points, that I was hearing a second guitar. You interweaved the bass parts and high parts wonderfully.

Overall, excellent piece of work. I'm definately going to show your video around. Simply awesome.

C4C:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446426

Man, what a comment, you guys are really getting me with these. Thanks so much. And thanks so much for spreading my stuff. I can't thank people like you guys enough.

I'll crit yours ASAP!

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712