I just got a new reissue fender twin. One problem I've had with it is it will randomly create this static sound, it starts out real quiet, gradually get's loud, then get's quiet again before going away, kind of sounds like an ocean wave coming in and receeding on the beach. This usually happens over the course of 10-20 seconds. Sometimes after it goes away, it's followed by a pop noise that comes out of the speakers. It seems to come randomly, only a couple times a day, but it does worry me. Has anyone heard of this before?

Also, when I turn the tremolo on using the footswitch, it creates the exact same pop noise. It also occasionally does it when I turn the standby off and the power off.
Last edited by danleary at May 23, 2011,
Make sure you have clean power. My house was great, had no problems, and then my Blue Voodoo started making these whooshing static noises once I moved into my apartment, and it came because the wiring in my complex is a piece of shit. I invested in a power conditioner, and that seemed to more or less solve the problem. Still occasionally had whooshes, but not nearly as frequently. That's what did it for me anyways
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
^ interesting. Could you link me to a power conditioner? I think my apartment might have shit wiring too.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just discovered something new, if I adjust the reverb control on my amp as it happens, I can control the volume of the static and the popping noises. If I got it on 1 it's just a quiet little muffle. I'm starting to doubt that it's the power supply, I think there's something wrong with my amp.
Is it tube driven reverb? I'd double check the preamp tube that powers the reverb if so.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
It's a fender twin, so I think so. Would that be an expensive fix?
Last edited by danleary at May 24, 2011,
Quote by danleary
It's a fender twin, so I think so. Would that be an expensive fix?

Generally its a 12at7 tube which aren't too expensive ($10 or so). I could be totally wrong on my diagnosis but its a thought. Bad preamp tubes can emit a lot of different noises when going bad, and can also amplify other in amp sounds when they are microphonic.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
You can get a kind of bacon sizzling noise if the pins on the tubes or the sockets are dirty. I had an amp brought into me with this and used some alcohol to clean the tube pins and sockets. Clean the pins and while wet stick them in and out of the sockets. Do this a couple of times.

Do this with the power off and amp discharged! Wait for the alcohol to dry and then power it up.