Page 1 of 2
All you metalheads out there, what effect (excluding distortion/OD/boosting) do you use the most? Ie simply cannot imagine going to a gig without?

If you were to build a barebones rig consisting of an amp and one pedal, what would be your picl?
I use all the effects on my pedalboard all the time. As in, I never turn them off. They're part of my sound. Tuner, compressor, tubescreamer, noise oppressor, EQ.

If I could only choose one pedal, realistically it would have to be my tuner. The ability to tune, and the fact that it mutes my signal when its on are too valuable.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at May 23, 2011,
My EQ for the most part.

But in terms of a real effect, I use my Delay for cleans, and sometimes a very little bit for some lead stuff.

Those are my only effects I own. I don't like pedals that much.. I would have never gotten a delay had I not received it for free.
Quote by Offworld92
I use all the effects on my pedalboard all the time. As in, I never turn them off. They're part of my sound. Tuner, compressor, tubescreamer, noise oppressor, EQ.

If I could only choose one pedal, realistically it would have to be my tuner. The ability to tune, and the fact that it mutes my signal when its on are too valuable.

Wont your 5150's lead channel compress the sound enough already?
Delay

It's really the only effect I even use. I put some very subtle chorus on the distortions I use on my POD to give it a kind of stereo effect.. but I don't record with it. Other than those.. I don't even use any effects.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Wont your 5150's lead channel compress the sound enough already?

The sound is relatively compressed yeah, but I use the compressor to equalize my volume levels between single notes and chords, rather than to get a "compressed" tone. It's pretty essential for me to have that because I switch between rhythm and leads as often as every 20 seconds in my bands songs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Reverb. Can't play in my room without it. So dry.

Absolutely hate hate hate it when people put chorus on all their cleans.
an overdrive pedal. a boss super overdrive to be exact. i love mine.

oooppppss.....sry i cant read.

ummmm a sonic stomp (if that counts) if it doesn't count a chorus pedal.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Last edited by iheartgun at May 23, 2011,
Delay or Reverb
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
does EQ count? i almost cannot play any amp without an eq in the loop. some amps sound decent without one, but with one they really shine.

if we do not count EQ, i would say reverb. everything sounds better with reverb.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
err... tuner. Although I have non-pedal tuners.

So failing that... Delay. As long as my amp has enough gain and reacts well with the guitar's volume pot.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
For me it would be delay since what's doom metal without it.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Digital digitally recreates exact replicas of the note/s played whereas analogue would give slight variance in the sound and not be so clinical offering a more "authentic" and "natural" sound. More akin to the multi-head tape delays first recorded years ago.

It comes down to taste and personal preference. I use digital and am happy with that for the most part. Although I'm an effects junkie so will inevitably wind up with an analgue delay at some point.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Slap-happy
Digital digitally recreates exact replicas of the note/s played whereas analogue would give slight variance in the sound and not be so clinical offering a more "authentic" and "natural" sound. More akin to the multi-head tape delays first recorded years ago.

My digital delay sound more like a tape delay than my analog delay
Quote by WtrPlyr
My digital delay sound more like a tape delay than my analog delay

Nothing sounds like Binson Echorec with an old tape.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Well I only have delay and chorus. And since I don't have people to play with delay I guess. Unless I had another amp for stereo chorus. Then chorus.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
i tend to go for a very raw, un-polished sound, but i do sometimes use phaser, set to a very fast rate, to give a sort of warbling fast-leslie type sound. that's really the only "effect" in my pedalboard. other than that i have a compressor, and overdrive pedal (for a boost) and a distortion pedal for a bit more of an edgy boost
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
mine would be noise gate if that counts?

if not id doubt id live without echo/delay
Definitely chorus. I love my Boss CE-5. I wouldn't say that I over use it, I sometimes use it to give my cleans that atmospheric kind of sound. I'll occasionally use it to give my distortion a bit of a kick, too.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I'll jump on the bandwagon and say delay, since it's really the only effect I ever use.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I only like a tiny bit of chorus in my cleans, a bit of delay/verb, maybe some phaser/flanger, yeah, im not really sure.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Delay.

Keep in mind for analog vs. digital, digital can replicate analog too.

On a whole, a digital delay can be far more versatile than an analog simply because you can have more parameters to change, you can change the type of delay, the frequency response, etc.

Whereas with an analog you typically only have one type of sound to work with, digital can utilize a variety of them, and the better digital delays can do it very well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Delay and reverb, Reverb if I only had 1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Chorus. I like the cleans of my MkV with chorus... it just makes it shimmer that much more prominently IMO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Chorus pedal
and the Goatkeeper
(if you havnt heard of a goatkeeper please search it, it ****ing rules)
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Page 1 of 2