ok so i just got a sexy new BC rich JRV standard which i love to death for its metal tone, pantera slayer etc. but im also a blues player, what should i do to acheive a blues tone? just deal with only metal for a couple years till i can afford another guitar? thinking of working on a Agile al-2000 for my blues guitar. but seeing as i just got the JRV im flat broke. i play the softest blues to the heaviest metal. and money just wont come to me for a few years.
Bestow upon me magic
Wizard, all knowing, all wise (solo)
I want to rule this kingdom
Make sweet the breeze now defiled (solo)
Dethrone the evil prince's iron fists
In velvet gloves of sin (solo)
You probably should have bought a guitar that was a little more versatile, not sure what your price range was, though.

Anyway, I would suggest using the neck pickup for a warmer tone, don't go real extreme with the distortion. What other gear do you own?
im the same as you man, heaviest metal to the softest blues. well not really the softest blues, i mainly stick to stevie ray vaughan/david gilmour type blues. i know gilmour isnt blues, but he has a very bluesy style.

i have a jackson rhodes model with emg pickups. for my metal tones, i use the second overdrive channel on my marshall with full gains, bass & mid at 3 o'clock, and treble at 9 o'clock with a smidge of delay and reverbe in the 7 or 8 o'clock position. for my blues tones, i either switch to the first overdrive channel or the crunch channel. on first overdrive i lower the gain to about 12 o'clock, on the crunch channel its not on 10 but its either 8 or 9. from there i mess with the tone knob on my guitar for the perfect blend of what i want at that time.

thats what i do, hope i at least gave you something to think about brah.
just a marshall mg30, i like it alot, i want a metal muff and a crybaby soon though
Bestow upon me magic
Quote by Mujibabajaba
im the same as you man, heaviest metal to the softest blues. well not really the softest blues, i mainly stick to stevie ray vaughan/david gilmour type blues. i know gilmour isnt blues, but he has a very bluesy style.

i have a jackson rhodes model with emg pickups. for my metal tones, i use the second overdrive channel on my marshall with full gains, bass & mid at 3 o'clock, and treble at 9 o'clock with a smidge of delay and reverbe in the 7 or 8 o'clock position. for my blues tones, i either switch to the first overdrive channel or the crunch channel. on first overdrive i lower the gain to about 12 o'clock, on the crunch channel its not on 10 but its either 8 or 9. from there i mess with the tone knob on my guitar for the perfect blend of what i want at that time.

thats what i do, hope i at least gave you something to think about brah.

oh, and in terms of what pickups i use, it depends on what i feel like. if i want a warmer tone or something a little twangier. be creative a little bit.
not really relevant, but ive wanted to know what that chorus meant for years haha. Too laxy to look it up i guess
you dont know what the effect chorus is? or are you asking something else?
Bestow upon me magic
Quote by thrashmetalhed
you dont know what the effect chorus is? or are you asking something else?

He's talking about the Megadeth lyrics in your sig.

(Nice choice, BTW.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you're ambitious enough, and come into the money for it, you could change your pickups. Stick a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer in the neck and you'll have bluesy-est tone you could ask for and keep your stock humbucker in the bridge for your metal.

A good guitar for both would have been something like the Ibanez Prestige RG3550, although the stock pickups arent the best. It's a super-strat type with a single coil in middle position, so you've got that bluesy twang, but you can also thrash out on it.
Quote by thrashmetalhed
just a marshall mg30, i like it alot, i want a metal muff and a crybaby soon though

i don't really wanna be 'that guy', but with that amp, buying a different guitar for blues isn't really gonna get you a better blues tone.

the MG's distortion is just very rough around the edges no matter what guitar you use with it, no matter what settings you use, etc. that's just the way that amp is. there's no reason why your BC rich shouldn't be able to handle blues tones, so i'm 99% sure the issue you're having is your amp lacking versatility, not your guitar.

obviously, if you're happy with the way the amp sounds for metal then i'm not gonna suggest a new amp (even though everyone else probably will), so what i suggest is getting some kind of overdrive pedal (ibanez TS7 perhaps?) to run into the clean channel of the amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.