Page 1 of 302
Been watching this religiously, seeing Lost got its own thread I don't see why this can't.

I think this'll be to the fantasy genre what Battlestar Galactica was to sci-fi. It's got the depth that us nerds love, with the action and drama that everyone loves! Unless you have a phobia of boobs, gore or Sean Bean being awesome, I see no reason why somebody wouldn't like this.

Also, killed by having melted gold poured on your head, that would be pretty brutal.

Here's a trailer for you guys that haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PxLidxnAE8

No idea why Rebecca Black is the top of 'suggestions' though.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
I just watched the first two episodes yesterday, and was not disappointed. They seem very accurate to the books so far - At least, I couldn't find anything to complain about.
Quote by eldanny

I think this'll be to the fantasy genre what Battlestar Galactica was to sci-fi.

You mean... not as good as Babylon 5?

More seriously though, Game of Thrones is so fucking awesome. I'm definitely going to get hold of the books after the first season has finished.
Yeah, it is really true to the books so far (at least for the first three episodes, which is what I've seen). The casting was remarkably well done (especially Tyrion, Arya, Dany, and Jamie Lannister). Not a fan of the way Cersei is being played, though.

Also, I wish I could watch this forever.
i dont watch tv much but some people have told me too watch it. so i might check it out

PS. why the **** would anyone read a book of something when its on tv. tv is better than books cause it has visuals, books do not have visuals. go ahead and try to argue. you can't.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto
i dont watch tv much but some people have told me too watch it. so i might check it out

PS. why the **** would anyone read a book of something when its on tv. tv is better than books cause it has visuals, books do not have visuals. go ahead and try to argue. you can't.

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
...and why the **** does this forum censor swear words. CMON!!

fuckin trololololol

(or 10 years old, could be either)

I'm definitely going to keep following the TV series. Hopefully they don't stray too far from the books in the future. I really like the way it's turning out.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at May 23, 2011,
Quote by RedDeath9
fuckin trololololol

(or 10 years old, could be either)

I'm definitely going to keep following the TV series. Hopefully they don't stray too far from the books in the future. I really like the way it's turning out.

if you are going to insult me, at least provide a counter argument.
I am not trolling, i just prefer tv cause its too hard to stick my hands down my trousers when i'm holding a friggin book.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto
I am not trolling, i just prefer tv cause its too hard to stick my hands down my trousers when i'm holding a friggin book.

You sound like a wonderfully intelligent person.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto

Key.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto

Books are better cos it makes me more intelligent, innit blud? You getting me man? I hope so.
I caught up on the show this past weekend and love it so far
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Game of Thrones is the balls. First new TV show I've gotten into for a while (well, I'm waiting on new Walking Dead)
Peace Out, Party On!

Amp fund: £200 and counting =0
Quote by creelers
Books are better cos it makes me more intelligent, innit blud? You getting me man? I hope so.

depends what you read and what you watch. reading books might make you look more intelligent, but you could be reading the bible for christ sake. that might even make you stupid.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto
depends what you read and what you watch. reading books might make you look more intelligent, but you could be reading the bible for christ sake. that might even make you stupid.

If reading anything has an adverse effect on the brain, it's your posts.
Quote by Tragic Mulatto

Naw man, you wrong.

Don't matter what you read, all reading makes your smarter. They've done studies and other scientific stuff, so it must be right.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
If reading anything has an adverse effect on the brain, it's your posts.

tell me whats wrong with what i said. unless you are a bible freak i think it makes perfect sense. the act of reading does not necessarily make you smarter, which is what that guy said. a documentary on tv about 3 toed sloths will probably be better for me than the autobiography of geri halliwell, just as a book about chemistry will be more beneficial for your brain than a tv show about tits. Tell me thats wrong!!
Quote by creelers
Naw man, you wrong.

Don't matter what you read, all reading makes your smarter. They've done studies and other scientific stuff, so it must be right.

oh! i didn't know! forgive my ignorance
The reason books are better than TV is because the medium is much better for telling stories. The production of a storyline akin to that of a book would need to have an astronomical budget to be any good. Game of Thrones is doing a pretty good job as far as I've heard, haven't watched it yet.

Talk about cliff hangers...
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
I don't understand how Ned can act so foolishly for the sake of maintaining the rightful line of succession. What did that matter when he helped Robert win the throne from the Targaryens in the first place? He should've listened to Renly.
Quote by blackflag49
I don't understand how Ned can act so foolishly for the sake of maintaining the rightful line of succession. What did that matter when he helped Robert win the throne from the Targaryens in the first place? He should've listened to Renly.

I think his real reason hasn't got anything to do with maintaining the rightful line of sucession... he just wants to exclude the Lannisters from that line, for obvious reasons.
Love this show!

I thoroughly enjoyed Boardwalk Empire so I was disappointed when it ended but Game of Thrones is probably better.

Bit disappointed that I didn't apply to be an extra in it when they filmed it over here. Maybe the second series....
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Glad to see that theres finally a show sticking to the source material.

Quote by Tragic Mulatto

Reading books takes the capacity for thought. Something you're possibly lacking.

Books offer far more than tv or film. You develop more intimate relationships with the characters, seeing not just their actions but what they see, how they react internally to different actions, how they feel. You become an active participant, rather than just a passive viewer, when you read, and you experience the depth of the worlds and the depth of the people within them, and you can learn things about yourself.

But it's more than that. You can only cram so much into a tv show or a movie. Entire chapters might be omitted, or condensed to 15 seconds of dialogue, it takes away all the finesse of a real story and makes it crude and sloppy and rough around the edges. Characters become caricatures on the screen, when any good writer can craft characters so real you'd think you could step into a parallel world and meet them.

Then there are other benefits, like developing your ability for critical thought, or improving your literacy, or forcing you to think in new ways and empathise and learn new things about yourself. I'd rather sit down for 10 hours with a good book than spend a slack-jawed half hour staring at a screen watching something that's only purpose is immediate entertainment with no depth beyond the cardboard cut outs, thankyou very much.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Love the books, am about to watch in 5 minutes.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by dann_blood
Books offer far more than tv or film. You develop more intimate relationships with the characters, seeing not just their actions but what they see, how they react internally to different actions, how they feel. You become an active participant, rather than just a passive viewer, when you read, and you experience the depth of the worlds and the depth of the people within them, and you can learn things about yourself.
The books are also more rape-y
I'm on a feast for crows.
The name annoys the shit out of me.

Having said that though, I've never seen the show, so I don't have an opinion on it.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
The name annoys the shit out of me.

Having said that though, I've never seen the show, so I don't have an opinion on it.

The name is starting to annoy me too, though possibly for different reasons. I'm getting annoyed because people are using 'Game of Thrones' to refer to the entire book series, because it's the name they're using across all the seasons of the TV series.

Stop that! It's A Song of Ice and Fire, n00bs. And what did the 'A' do wrong, hmm? "A Game of Thrones." Which is book one. It is not the entire series!

[/nerdrage]

I've been very pleased with the adaptation overall. Of course you can't get all the character development and nuance that there is in the book, but they've done a pretty good job, I think.

My main annoyance is in the way they've messed with Renly's character. They've turned him into a pussy, and shoved it down our throats that he's gay. I much prefer the way GRRM did it in the book. First off, he's a tall, strong, handsome, charismatic knight in the book, rather different from the TV portrayal, and his relationship with Loras is only hinted at. The sort of hints where it is easy for people to miss them if they're not paying attention, but once you know they're there they seem obvious. To me, the fact that he's gay is irrelevant, so it's not shown. the TV producers just thought, "ooh, a gay character! Yay!", and started plotting the shaving scene...

Also, who the hell is Ros? Stop inventing characters, HBO.

Having said that, in general I like it!

Now I really ought to re-read the series in time for A Dance With Dragons, but I've got to finish Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God before I start that.

( Also, for anyone who's interested, Leigh Butler is doing a readthrough of AGOT over on tor.com, summarising each chapter and posting her comments. It's fascinating seeing the reactions of an ASOIAF n00b reading the series for the first time.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/a-read-of-ice-and-fire )
Don't think I can avoid reading the books now, I'm too involved in the story. Thing is, I usually hate fantasy, but Game of Thrones/ASOIAF seems like it's more about high-level political intrigue than the usual fantasy rubbish with elves and wizards and made-up languages.
Quote by blackflag49
Don't think I can avoid reading the books now, I'm too involved in the story. Thing is, I usually hate fantasy, but Game of Thrones/ASOIAF seems like it's more about high-level political intrigue than the usual fantasy rubbish with elves and wizards and made-up languages.

Don't you go insulting my genre!

But yeah, the fantasy elements are more of a background thing in this series. Mostly anyway. When GRRM started writing it, he didn't plan on putting the fantasy stuff in it at all, the only fantasy connection that it would have had was the fictional setting. One of his friends got him to put the magical elements into it.

In fact, I think he sat down and wrote 100 pages before he stopped to actually figure out what the story was going to be.
Quote by sugar_daddy
Absolutely loving it so far, still getting confused with all the names and the back story

Joffrey is a cunt.

There's even more to come! They're currently casting all of the new characters who show up in A Clash of Kings...
The funny thing is, the less he relies on fantastical stuff, the more you look forward to what fantasy there is.

Daenerys's dragons.

How they'll pull that off without making it seem corny will be quite interesting.
Quote by goest
Damn TV not having Sci-Fi....

Watchseries.eu

Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
My main annoyance is in the way they've messed with Renly's character. They've turned him into a pussy, and shoved it down our throats that he's gay. I much prefer the way GRRM did it in the book. First off, he's a tall, strong, handsome, charismatic knight in the book, rather different from the TV portrayal, and his relationship with Loras is only hinted at. The sort of hints where it is easy for people to miss them if they're not paying attention, but once you know they're there they seem obvious. To me, the fact that he's gay is irrelevant, so it's not shown. the TV producers just thought, "ooh, a gay character! Yay!", and started plotting the shaving scene...

It's HBO. I don't think they have ever done something that didn't include a bit of homosexuality.