i guess this is known as being "hot" or something and the only was for me to turn my amp up is if i turn down my actual guitars volume switch almost all the way down, which really dampens the sound making my guitar just sound weak.

my guitar- Epiphone SG EX Prophecy

http://www.epiphone.com/prophecy/default.html

I feel like the squealing has something to do with the EMG's or something.. or maybe my guitar amp?

amp- peavey vypyr 30 (30 watt)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Vypyr30/

anyone else had this annoying squealing noise that makes it almost impossible to play live? also after like every note a slight squeal occurs even if i turn down my guitar.
Microphonic feedback
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Feedback mate. Turn down your pre and/or post gain. Or just mute the strings when you stop playing
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by gwitersnamps
Microphonic feedback

+1

if it's squealing uncontrollably, there's something wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cables can go bad and cause feedback. If you are close to the amp that can cause the problem as can cranking up gain.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
either too much disto, bad cables, or back up from the amp a little more, this usually happens to me with full gain and 50% volume with my Epiphone Les paul special and Randall RG75, it's AKA FEEDBACK, but it can get annoying, especially in jam sessions/Band Practice.
Quote by captainsnazz
For lots of people that is a desired effect.
I've never heard of anyone using that as a desired effect.
Quote by al112987
I've never heard of anyone using that as a desired effect.

Then you're not listening to the right type of music, my friend.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Then you're not listening to the right type of music, my friend.
There is controlled musical feedback (a la Hendrix and Clapton) that you get when you turn a tube amp up to the point of melt down and the notes decay into feedback creating essentially endless sustain.

And then there is microphonic squealing. Two completely different things.
^^^ that.

Feedback only begins to be bad when you can't control it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
So it feedbacks even when you roll your volume all the way down?

Sounds like some amp frazzling going on.

That shouldnt be happening. Have you got another amp to try? Probably worth trying another cable too.

Feedback is caused when the air from the speakers causes the strings to vibrate even more which is picked up again through the pickups and back into the amp, if it was guitar related, turning the volume down on the guitar would eliminate it.
Last edited by beckyjc at May 24, 2011,
The first thing to try would be lowering the gain.
Active pickups have a tendency to mess with amps that expect a passive signal, especially on high gain settings.

Higher-output amps may have a second, lower-gain input for this very reason.

If lowering the gain doesn't work, try a different cable.

PS. If you use a guitar with passive pickups, does it hum while you're not playing? Just curious.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by al112987
There is controlled musical feedback (a la Hendrix and Clapton) that you get when you turn a tube amp up to the point of melt down and the notes decay into feedback creating essentially endless sustain.

I'm sorry, I have been mislead by another reply. I thought we were talking about feedback, but this seems different.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by beckyjc
So it feedbacks even when you roll your volume all the way down?

Sounds like some amp frazzling going on.

That shouldnt be happening. Have you got another amp to try? Probably worth trying another cable too.

Feedback is caused when the air from the speakers causes the strings to vibrate even more which is picked up again through the pickups and back into the amp, if it was guitar related, turning the volume down on the guitar would eliminate it.

What i think is happening here is that the sound from the speakers is causing something in the pickup (or the whole pickup itself) to vibrate, causing the same sound but without any control that eventually cascades into a high frequency squeal. Aka, microphonic feedback.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by al112987

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well actually my only cable is kinda half broken and only works if its in the right position, so i may want to look into trying a new cable.. too bad i didn't save my receipt for the life time guarantee on it.

i'm not totally sure what passive pickups are.. does that mean pickups without batteries? if so, the squealing still exists on if i turn up my amp loud enough to play with drums but if i remember correctly it seemed like i didn't have as much of a problem before with my other guitar.

maybe i will try turning down the post gain a bit and getting a new cable. for now, as long as i palm mute whenever im not playing, the squealing only occurs slightly between chords and i will have to deal with that
Quote by firebird1993

i'm not totally sure what passive pickups are.. does that mean pickups without batteries?

yeah, basically
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a problem like this, im pretty sure its because my cable jack keeps coming loose.