Page 1 of 3
I have been recently been getting into a lot of new thrash bands, and would like to recommend some bands as well as ask for recommendations for more. The bands I have been getting into are:
Evile - You should be familiar with them. Slayer with less controversial lyrics and much better solos.
Hexen
Hypnosia - Last album was in 2000, not sure if they are still together.
Lich King - Great sound, great comedy. Ignore the name.
Municipal Waste - You should be familiar with them. I would consider them crossover thrash.
Violator
Vektor - Very technical with a progressive sound, could use a better singer.
Warbringer - Their most recent album was produced by Gary Holt.
Warpath

Any more modern thrash bands that you would recommend? Also some bands like Heathen have been making new material but since they were formed in the 80's I will not include them.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
Thrash stopped being relevant once the Cold War ended imo.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by s31770
check Sylosis out

This. This. This.

The other bands you mentioned need not be listened to after this.
Top lel.
Quote by Riffmast
Thrash stopped being relevant once the Cold War ended imo.

Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
i'm being serious
Quote by Steve08

Quote by Riffmast
i'm being serious

I wasn't laughing at you, I just found the statement amusing, as it pokes fun at thrash's pseudo-political lyrics. If it means anything, I agree with the statement, because death metal had totally outdone thrash by '91.
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
hahah i know, just was being a goof. Yeah that's the whole thing, it just evolved, it was an 80's thing, but i can't seem to find any purpose of it thees days other than being retro. Where as you said albums like AoM and such are just timeless.
Quote by Steve08

Outdone by death metal in what way? By 1993 it was clearly the forefront of technical music and definitely had more creative viability, but I don't know in which ways you're trying to compare them, unless you're one of those falses that thinks thrash is merely an outdated form of extreme metal better done later. Anacrusis, Believer, Coroner, Depressive Age, Forbidden, Obliveon, and others were still producing creative thrash metal up to 1993.

Quote by cgmetallica1981
...could use a better singer.

Blasphemy, his vocals are probably their most unique quality.
Last edited by HamburgerBoy at May 23, 2011,
More so the composition and power/social relevance of the music, tech thrash wankery was one of the reasons why Swedish death metal started the way it was and went for a more bare bone sound. Also bands like Demilich,Atheist and Morbid Angel(just to give a few examples) were all far more creative then any thrash band by the early 90's.
Quote by Steve08

Obliveon and Coroner, among others, deserve a little more credit then you're giving them.

As does Thrash in general for a few regulars. None Shall Defy, R.I.P., From This Day Forward, Spectrum of Death, Pagan Reality, The Day of Wrath, First Depression, Evil Invaders, Southern Cross Ripper, and Terrorstorm call your name.

Now go!

And even Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel for shits.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I never really liked Thrash other than crossover, i dunno it just doesn't appeal to me, never could put my finger on it.
Quote by Steve08

My like for thrash is overshadowed by death, black, and doom metal but any metal fan should like thrash and at least listen to it occasionally.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
One day i'll give it another chance, for now i'm putting the new Kerasphorus on repeat.

Actually come to think of it i do like a few thrash bands: Just never really feel the need to put them on nor remember that they are any good.
Quote by Steve08

Last edited by Riffmast at May 24, 2011,
Quote by cgmetallica1981
This doesn't fit any of those categories, and I never understood the appeal of having one thread for multiple discussions.

It's not supposed to be appealing. It's supposed to be practical.
The thread you were directed to was a thread for recommendations in general. When people post their, other people go in ready to be of assistance.

The thrash thread is for thrash discussion. If i have to elaborate, I don't see our relationship turning out well.

Never understood people who are dismissing thrash because it has since evolved to something else. Isn't that like saying you don't want to play Quake when Bulletstorm is around?
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Last edited by Senor Kristian at May 24, 2011,
I don't think a sound really just stops being relevant. The message, if there is one, might, but a sound might go out of fashion. But only poseur phaggats care about that lol.
My comment was based more around the fact that every modern Thrash band sucks. You can't deny that it was important in the 80's and that there were quality bands( Dark Angel kicked ass), but i just don't see a point in it in theese days, i feel the same about speed/heavy metal more or less, there are some great old releases, but new bands trying to rehash theese styles are usually terrible. I never got huge into any of that stuff so that could just be my bias.
Quote by Steve08

Quote by VampireGoldfish

And even Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel for shits.

Awesome album, sounds like Bathory on quaaludes
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Mantic Ritual, anyone? They're not the best of the new thrashers (my vote goes to either Gama Bomb or Municipal Waste) but they have a surprising sense of melody for a thrash band.

Also, I'm a big Revocation fan, although they have a lot of techy, proggy influence, and some death metal tendencies, I tend to think of them as a thrash band. Their solos are amazing, and very classic rock, with a lot of jazz too. Check 'em out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vXCUTab4Ow
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 24, 2011,
Why do ssome people come to a thread that in the title let's you know its going to be about thrash metal if you don't like it? That just doesn't make since to me.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by Riffmast
My comment was based more around the fact that every modern Thrash band sucks. You can't deny that it was important in the 80's and that there were quality bands( Dark Angel kicked ass), but i just don't see a point in it in theese days, i feel the same about speed/heavy metal more or less, there are some great old releases, but new bands trying to rehash theese styles are usually terrible. I never got huge into any of that stuff so that could just be my bias.

What about new death metal bands playing in the "old school" style?
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
What about new death metal bands playing in the "old school" style?

A lot of them are nothing new, but there are bands like Cruciamentum, Disma, Swallowed, and Excoriate that are pushing the genre in a new direction.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Death Metal is timeless. And most of these bands play the style because it is dark as **** and has great composition unlike most brutal and technical death metal that is popular these days, it doesn't just seem like retro worship, the ones who do seem like that i generally avoid anyways.

Disma,Cruciamentum,Grave Miasma,Dead Congregation,etc all have their own twist on the old dark dm sound and don't really sound quite like the bands from the early 90's. They just based their music off the old style and rolled with it and are slowly helping develope something totally new.
Quote by Steve08

That's what I figured. And Grave Miasma is one I have not heard so I'll have to check it out.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by Riffmast

What do you mean you don't see a point... that doesn't even mean anything. You don't see a point into listening to a music because it is "irrelevant"? You really take forms of entertainment way too seriously. What are you doing in a metal forum anyway?
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Last edited by cgmetallica1981 at May 24, 2011,
thrash is long gone man, let it go.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
thrash is long gone man, let it go.

Is that why theres a huge thrash community and theres a lot of thrash bands making new material, with a whole new wave of bands? Hendrix was long gone before thrash even started, just gonna let you know buddy.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Quote by cgmetallica1981
Is that why theres a huge thrash community and theres a lot of thrash bands making new material, with a whole new wave of bands? Hendrix was long gone before thrash even started, just gonna let you know buddy.

but with hendrix, everyone knows he is gone and no one is trying to be him. besides a genre is different from a person, just gonna let you know buddy. and yes there are still artists creating "thrash" but that doesn't mean its popular.

EDIT: besides, the modern thrash bands aren't doing it right. they are ruining the genre in some instances.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Last edited by jimihendrix6699 at May 24, 2011,
Who cares about popularity.
Who gives a fuck about Hendrix and his overblown crap.
Who cares about modern thrash.

Why this is the direction a thrash thread is going is beyond me.

Thrash is such a buzzword for all the twats and dingledicks on these forums to gather, it's a damn shame and is why I avoid most thrash discussion.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by cgmetallica1981
What do you mean you don't see a point... that doesn't even mean anything. You don't see a point into listening to a music because it is "irrelevant"? You really take forms of entertainment way too seriously. What are you doing in a metal forum anyway?

The message of the music and the form was something that was relevant in the Cold War age and the threat of nuclear annihilation etc, it was a very sheltered and propaganda filled time, and the most reflected a need to rebel against that.Not all Metal is just entertainment, it can also be art with allot of meaning(see: Most good Metal). Also what are YOU doing in this forum? I've been hear since 04 biznatch

Also sonically i don't see much reason to listen to it when i could just listen to crossover or death thrash, straight up thrash stands in the middle ground were it usually is just boring to me. If I'm in a "retro" mood or whatever I'll maybe go throw on Dark Angel or something.Not to say that there were'nt good thrash bands with high quality albums, but it isn't happening these days, i know i have more of a subjective bias against it anyways, but nothing worthwhile in thrash has happened for a long time.
Quote by Steve08

Wehrmacht is pretty damn awesome and not new or irrelevant guys.

Riffmast is correct for the most part, but awesome Thrash is exceedingly awesome and definitely worth your time.

See?

Looky here!

And even has awesome vocalist
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Thanks for the songs, VG, haven't heard Obliveon before.
Quote by severed-metal

last.fm
Buy From This Day Forward.

It's like witnessing the ebb and flow of some alien river
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by sg_man08
Thanks for the songs, VG, haven't heard Obliveon before.

Obliveon, Inquisitor, and Acid Witch?!?

You're missing out man!
Just because its not relevant to you doesn't mean its not to somebody else and not every thrash song is about the cold war. And if you don't like something don't listen to it. Don't look down on people that like it because your an elitist and think death metal is what everybody should listen too..
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 24, 2011,
Page 1 of 3