I was practicing on my fender t-bucket 300ce (it's an acoustic-electric) today and suddenly there was a rattling when I played between the F-F#-G frequencies on the lower strings. What's the problem?

I thought it was the strings at first but it was still there after I changed them...? I don't think theres any loose wiring and the truss rod seems fine. Any suggestions?
Check the nuts that fasten the tuning posts to the surface of the headstock. They'll have washers underneath them. If you touch the washer and it moves, you need to tighten that nut. This is the most common problem I see with other people's guitars besides truss rod issues.
Acoustics:
1994 Seagull SM6
2007 Takamine G5013SVFT

Electrics:
2008 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top (Cherryburst)
1964 Gibson Melody Maker D (DC)

Amps:
Traynor YGL-1

Pedals
MXR Distortion III (C4 Modded)
Quote by RockinSince1993
Check the nuts that fasten the tuning posts to the surface of the headstock. They'll have washers underneath them. If you touch the washer and it moves, you need to tighten that nut. This is the most common problem I see with other people's guitars besides truss rod issues.

thanks for the response. all the nuts are tight, but there's a lot of wires for the preamp and 1/4 output since it's acoustic-electric. is there any way to test if this is reason, since it's sympathetic buzz (only happens on some frequencies/notes). i want to try to figure it out before i bring it into the shop. cheers
are you sure you've seated the ball ends correctly? that can cause buzzing, and sometimes only for certain notes.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
are you sure you've seated the ball ends correctly? that can cause buzzing, and sometimes only for certain notes.

thanks for the help! it was sympathetic buzzing so it couldn't have been the ball ends, because it did it for the all of the EADG strings on the same notes. i figured it out though. i've spent all day turning this damned guitar inside out looking for problems. i went through three sets of d'addarios, tightened every nut and bolt and rod, and rewired everything inside. then i had the crazy idea to take the batteries out. problem fixed.

problem is, i can't put the batteries in or the buzzing comes back, so i can't amp it up :/
Last edited by shimeister at May 24, 2011,
can't you just tuck a piece of a sock or a small part of a paper towel next to the side of the batter?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
can't you just tuck a piece of a sock or a small part of a paper towel next to the side of the batter?

it worked! i love you.

i have a square shaped hole in the inner layer of my middle school gym shorts now though..
yay!

(hopefully the hole isn't anywhere that might be embarrassing )
Quote by Skeet UK
ok i'm having the same problem rattling with my LTD EC-50 on the 1st and 2nd strings on the first two frets...
Quote by johnrossb
ok i'm having the same problem rattling with my LTD EC-50 on the 1st and 2nd strings on the first two frets...

Isn't it fret buzz?
you can hold all those frets down as hard as you can right in the middle and it still rattles around
Fretbuzz means the strings buzz against the frets, not that the frets buzz themselves.
took it in to the shop and the action was too low so the guy just raised it up for me. i feel smart now...
Yeah, you got lucky it wasn't the nut slot being too low for those two strings, lol. Glad it works now.
Last edited by Tinderwet at May 28, 2011,