Now, I don't want to offend any of you metal heads here, but I don't really get how metal falls into regular music. Theres basically no singing imo, I basically here some guy scream for 4,5 minutes long. i don't get how that is appealing, or understandable. I don't necessarily hate metal. I just don't get it. I get screamo and hard rock, because sometimes they have their"yelling" solo. But all i want to know is how you guys enjoy metal and if someone can explain their musical meaning.
Again, I'm NOT here to offend or upset anyone, i just want to see if any of you guys can explain to me more about metal and it's musical meaning.
Metal bands arent just shouting and killing, they help out sick kids from time to time as well, see here for evidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNApZRy3wk

You'll have to watch it till the end though.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Might want to narrow down to "death metal" or "black metal" because Dio, Judas Priest, UFO, and countless other bands are considered metal. But I think the prime reason that others like "metal" is because they don't know what actual music is, nor do they care. They just want something that sounds intense.
Cause, ya know, Satan and stuff.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Metals Ist Goods

EDIT: Stupid cap filter
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Last edited by Crazed Shredder at May 23, 2011,
Quote by GimmeRock
Theres basically no singing imo, I basically here some guy scream for 4,5 minutes long. i don't get how that is appealing, or understandable. I don't necessarily hate metal. I just don't get it. I get screamo and hard rock, because sometimes they have their"yelling" solo.

Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
You're genrealizing on a very broad genre of rock. What metal bands have you listened to? If you think there is no singing, go listen to Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson's voice is incredible. On the other end of the spectrum, there is Cannibal Corpse....pretty much all heavily distorted screaming. Peter Steele from Type O Negative is another metal singer who had an amazing vocal style.

Also, metal isn't just about vocals. Some people like dual guitar harmonies, shredding, blast beats, super fast double kick, etc. I couldn't stand Cradle of Filth at first because of the vocals, so I tuned them out and listened to the music, eventually I got used to the vocals. It all depends on your personal likes/dislikes. But basically, if you don't like something you hear, don't listen to it.
Extreme Metal is not regular music, it has no singing, these are good things to us.Expand your perspective, and learn to appreciate music for what it is, not what your pre-determined expectations limit you too.Then you may understand.Until then just go listen to Saint Vitus and Sabbath and let your taste build from there.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Well, it's not just screaming for 5 minutes long. If thats all you hear, I would suggest checking out some less extreme metal, and if you can work your way up to it, you may be able to appreciate whatever you have in mind. If you could post a link to whatever song(s) you have in mind, someone may be able to analyze it for you. Honestly, if you don't like it, then you don't like it, but if you want to understand it, try giving it a few more listens.
In the works.
I sincerely hope nobody takes this thread seriously.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Honestly, im going to be straight up, the metal now, n rock etc., just aint the f***in anymore, everyone is over doin it with screamo nowadays, certain metal bands now are too much the same, i aint sure if this answers the question but yea. But I get what you're sayin dude.
Quote by Stranglehold
I sincerely hope nobody takes this thread seriously.

too late
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
As neversleeps84 said, it's not all about the vocals. Even if you despise the vocals, you can still probably find something good, musically. Seriously, look up Melodic Death Metal bands like Kalmah, Amon Amarth, In Flames, etc.
If you're basing whether or not you like metal on vocals alone you need to listen to some more bands. There's lots of metal with no vocals at all, and plenty with singing instead of screaming.
2009 Ibanez RG3EXFM1
2003 Ibanez RG220B
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by GimmeRock
I'm NOT here to offend or upset anyone

Yes you are, don't lie to yourself.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
It is what it is and that becomes a preference. Gotta figure it out for yourself bub, you can't just ask questions and think you got it. If you enjoy it you enjoy it, if not, then its not your cup of tea.

Read the rec thread. Metal falls into numerous genres. Just ask for something that you know in terms of music and try to ask for a comparison to see if you find something you like.

Im gonna close this before it gets out of hand.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all