Evening chaps

So recently i acquired a 2 channel Recto and to all intents and purposes it the best amp out there for metal IMO.

The thing is that im now thinking about getting rid of my other 3 channel recto and replacing it with something that does everything else that the 2 channel cant do. i like the 3 channel but i keep feeling like i could possibly get something that does what i want it to better

im just curious as to what amps you guys think i should maybe look into as possible alternatives. i'd be wanting to basically not churn out any more cash than what i could get for the 3 channel used which is probs around £1400-£1500. needs to have good cleans and low gain tones, high gain too but not necessarily be able to do metal but deffo be able to do it with a boost.

also bear in mind that im in the UK so i cant get a used Roadking for $1500 im afraid

anyways, any help appreciated

cheers, Ed
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Help us out here. Give us some bands or tones you want to go for with this new amp. Cleans and low gain doesn't give us alot to go on.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Maybe check out some Oranges though since you're in the UK but like I said, it kinda depends on what your going for.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
If you don't know what you want, it usually means you don't really need it.

Dozens of good amps out there... would need more details
i was thinking as far as mid gain goes like a slightly gainier AC/DCish tone and Joe Bonamassa, but i'd like to get to kinda Guthrie Govan or Paul Gilbert lead types of gain

cleans, well i always think of trying to get my cleans like Steve Vai's or John Petrucci's

Quote by Business
If you don't know what you want, it usually means you don't really need it.

Dozens of good amps out there... would need more details

i didn't say i didn't know what i wanted
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at May 23, 2011,
Yeah I was just messing with you a bit

How about trying out different preamps? They're less expensive than heads and offer a vast palette of tones.

When you mentionned Paul Gilbert I thought of ADA MP-1
When you mentionned Petrucci I thought of Triaxis
Quote by Business
Yeah I was just messing with you a bit

How about trying out different preamps? They're less expensive than heads and offer a vast palette of tones.

When you mentionned Paul Gilbert I thought of ADA MP-1
When you mentionned Petrucci I thought of Triaxis

possibly, i've never really thought of preamps vs heads. what are the pros and cons of having a preamp?? i know you can hook it up to whatever poweramp you like which is cool but other than that what else??

the more suggestions the merrier guys
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
cornford? soldano? those are the two that'd spring to mind at your kind of budget for those type of tones.

other options- brunetti xlr-evo, vht/fryette, bogner etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i havent got much knowledge on Soldano really apart from the SLO being awesome

Cornford i like the sound of though, perhaps the Roadhouse 30??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
i've only tried the handwired ones

that's not me being corksniffery, there aren't any dealers here and i haven't been near a dealer since the pcb ones were released
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i've heard that the Roadhouse is pretty good and its fairly affordable

what Soldano models would you recommend?? although i have no idea where the nearest dealer is
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
i really liked the avenger i tried, but being single channel it might not have the versatility you need... that's the only one i've tried, though. something like the hot rod, maybe? Don't quote me, though, as i said the avenger is the only one i've tried.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredftw
possibly, i've never really thought of preamps vs heads. what are the pros and cons of having a preamp?? i know you can hook it up to whatever poweramp you like which is cool but other than that what else??

You don't even need a power amp, you could just run one in your Dual Rectifier's FX Loop, you just won't get stereo.

Pros:
- Lightweight (without power amp)
- Less expensive
- Great for live playing (if MIDI)

Cons:
- More cables
- More fiddling around to find a good tone
- Going rack crazy (feeling the urge to buy a power conditioner, multi-effect and other stuff that aren't really needed, but are real cool)
fiddly and me dont work particularly well

im not overly keen on the idea tbh, i think i'll stick to head and cab for the time being
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
one soldano ( dunno which one ) is great for bluesrock or smth like that

a good preamp is also great, as you have a good poweramp ( ur recto ) and a cab..

i would like to know if it's possible to have it like this:

guitar -> preamp -> fx loop return of recto -> poweramp of recto -> cab

+1 for a preamp
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Try and find an ENGL Steve Morse.

Nicest cleans and crunch I have ever heard and it will rip your face off when you want it to.

Plus its blue.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Try and find an ENGL Steve Morse.

Nicest cleans and crunch I have ever heard and it will rip your face off when you want it to.

Plus its blue.

only cuz you had it..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250

i would like to know if it's possible to have it like this:

guitar -> preamp -> fx loop return of recto -> poweramp of recto -> cab

That's the way to do it

For Vai or Petrucci cleans I'd look into a good multi effect and EQ first.
For AC/DC or anything crunchy, old school Marshall or Orange
You're in Europe, take advantage of buying European brands for cheap(er)
Thunderverb definitely has my attention, havent tried that ENGL yet but sounds good to me so i'll see if i can find anywhere nearby with one
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by Tunder250
only cuz you had it..

No.

Only because other than the vastly more expense SE's the SM is the most versatile ENGL.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by shredftw
what Soldano models would you recommend?? although i have no idea where the nearest dealer is

Well, SLO if you can afford it (could probably find it used for pretty cheap).

Though if you can't, the Hot Rod is a good alternative. The Decatone is really good if you would prefer to have 3 channels, but it costs more.

Soldano is a great choice if you want something that sounds different from the typical Recto/6505 sound. If I could afford one, I'd get one, but instead I'm stuck with their Chinese-made equivalent, Jet City (which is still good, but not a Soldano).
i don't know if you can find them, but i was set on a dual rec, until i got into listening to splawn clips. recently played one of the older 2 ch recs, and am so glad i went with Splawn. i have the Nitro and the Promod and run them in stereo. the nitro in stereo with your rec would give you a good kick in the pants, but the cleans and low gain aren't top notch, but a PM/QR can do really good mid/upper mid gain tones and has some pretty nice cleans (not the best but def passable), as well as quite a bit of balls and bite.

i am planning on picking up a 2ch to have as a backup for my stereo rig. and i like rec sag.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't know if you can find them, but i was set on a dual rec, until i got into listening to splawn clips. recently played one of the older 2 ch recs, and am so glad i went with Splawn. i have the Nitro and the Promod and run them in stereo. the nitro in stereo with your rec would give you a good kick in the pants, but the cleans and low gain aren't top notch, but a PM/QR can do really good mid/upper mid gain tones and has some pretty nice cleans (not the best but def passable), as well as quite a bit of balls and bite.

i am planning on picking up a 2ch to have as a backup for my stereo rig. and i like rec sag.

He's gonna need some luck to find a Splawn in the UK but with a 1.5k pound budget he could probably swing one...

I second everything Dave_MC has said in this thread, but will also recommend a Rockerverb of some sort. It'll do your low gain and high gain tones well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you are going to be A/B/Y'ing them then maybe go for something that really contrasts against the dual rec, you did say you want something different. Maybe something completely different like a Marshall Vintage Modern? Or maybe do it properly and get a Plexi?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification