Well due to a really busy life I wasn't able to play guitar/keyboard at all really. I also forgot the email I used for my previous account here at UG so made a new one. (Hey Mr. Seagull and Sean =P)

MT was my favorite forum because I was addicted to learning music theory. Probably a bit too much - as I never really applied any of the theory and some people started to wonder if I even played an instrument.

So here I am with my fragmented memory of theory - posing the question... "Should I even bother relearning most of it?"

I've never had any plans to play professionally, I'm not much of a shredder, and I find it hard to take only a "part" of an idea at a time. If I go learn something - I want to learn everything about it before moving on.

So if my only goal is to be able to play songs with my cousin, and perhaps jam with him a bit - while it may help being able to figure out what key we're in and what notes would sound best... I wonder if I'd be better off just training my ear and going by that when we jam, rather than worrying about any theory.

For keyboard however... my only real plans is to commit to sight reading. I've tried before but after struggling to find time (as I only got my keyboard about the time I quit playing music) I never really got past finding C, F, A, and E. Would anyone say its a (bit) more important to at least know the basics (EG: Finding the key of a song) or should I not bother? Unlike guitar - I don't really plan to write any of my own music for keyboard. My goal is just to learn songs I find pleasing such as - no plans to play any Chopin.

Things that I have a good enough memory of that a quick recap would bring me up to speed again:
How to construct major/minor scales.
Chord Construction and Chord Progressions
Key Signatures (C = No flats/sharps, F = 1 flat, E = 4 sharps, A = 3 sharps etc.)
I probably know other stuff but would have to read it to actually remember it.

I think I more-or-less ranted at myself in this thread. Probably look like an idiot. So here's a tl;dr:

Don't plan to play professionally, just want to play music and jam with my cousin. Should I bother with any theory again or just start playing?
Quote by WTC117
Well due to a really busy life I wasn't able to play guitar/keyboard at all really. I also forgot the email I used for my previous account here at UG so made a new one. (Hey Mr. Seagull and Sean =P)

Lol.

*Closed* *Banned*
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud