There's no other place to put this....so I guess I will post this in the beloved Pit

Ok....I am planning to buy a $230 acoustic-electric guitar and a $100 amp(maybe $200). How much do you think I should ask them to take off?

Also, do you think they would throw in a free setup and string change if I paid full price??

P.S: I bought a $300 Fender Mustang iii not too long ago from them
You can't. They're a corporation. Those prices are tied to inventory movements. It's like haggling at Wal-mart.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Dude, you can barter? I could've gotten my amp cheaper...
you're a stone fox
Sometimes they throw in a "setup" which consists of a tuning and a quick wipe-down. If you manage to get free strings out of them, they're not putting them on for free. They also don't really care a whole lot what you've bought from them.

As far as asking them to take money off, don't bother.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Used to be able to haggle a bit at the Guitar Center near me... now they have a "no haggle" policy
Quote by sadSTATUE
Sometimes they throw in a "setup" which consists of a tuning and a quick wipe-down. If you manage to get free strings out of them, they're not putting them on for free. They also don't really care a whole lot what you've bought from them.

As far as asking them to take money off, don't bother.

So many people have posted (on this site) that they usually take some off the price.

+ I was planning on paying for the strings. I just want a neat job which I fail to do most of the time. Lol, I'm exaggerating. All the time
I bought my Epi LP + SD pickup for $450, when the guitar alone was $400... so yeah, you can barter. At least you could not long ago.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
you're better off waiting for a coupon or something. if you sign up or something they let you fill out surveys or whatever and they e-mail you coupons for like 15% off of $300 or more or $20 off a purchase of $200 or something like that. and they have coupons around all the holidays, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, the 4th of July, etc.

you could bargain with them, but you don't always know how successful you'll be.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've haggled at guitar Center and other guitar stores tons of times. You guys must just suck.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
You can probably barter with used stuff. Idk about new, I've never actually haggled there before
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
If an ass brain can haggle, surely others can?
Smile when you say that.
Quote by theogonia777
you're better off waiting for a coupon or something. if you sign up or something they let you fill out surveys or whatever and they e-mail you coupons for like 15% off of $300 or more or $20 off a purchase of $200 or something like that. and they have coupons around all the holidays, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, the 4th of July, etc.

you could bargain with them, but you don't always know how successful you'll be.

But unfortunately the coupons don't qualify for most things one would want.
Obviously Fassa.
Quote by JKHC
So many people have posted (on this site) that they usually take some off the price.

+ I was planning on paying for the strings. I just want a neat job which I fail to do most of the time. Lol, I'm exaggerating. All the time

I'm only speaking from experience, anyone who's had better luck, well, good on them. I also imagine it depends on the sales-person. If I remember right, they're all on straight commission, so any haggling they do is taking away from them directly. And to whoever mentioned used, that's actually probably the best bet if you want to do any kind of haggling. At minimum, they have to double what they paid for those items, so only they will actually know how much of a discount they CAN give.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
You guys are n00bs if you think you can't haggle at Guitar Center. It helps if you buy more than one thing at a time, though. I've saved hundreds through haggling. At those low prices you probably can't do it, though. If you buy multiple things, especially when dealing with a manager, you can get prices lowered because they will basically sell something without their commission added, I think. As recently as march I talked my way into the manager taking 200 dollars off an AC30.

I would try to get a free set of strings out of it, TS. Maybe a set up.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at May 23, 2011,
I got the price of my Alexi 600 lowered almost $200 when I bought it a few years ago (I don't own it anymore). My mom helped though, she's an expert at bargaining at stuff. I go with her whenever I want to buy something expensive
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by JKHC
There's no other place to put this....so I guess I will post this in the beloved Pit

Ok....I am planning to buy a $230 acoustic-electric guitar and a $100 amp(maybe $200). How much do you think I should ask them to take off?

Also, do you think they would throw in a free setup and string change if I paid full price??

P.S: I bought a $300 Fender Mustang iii not too long ago from them

Can you find either product cheaper somewhere else? Or do you just expect want a "discount" on absolutely no basis besides that fact that you have spent an amazing "300" dollars on a Fender Mustang?
Nope, nowhere cheaper. I doubt the mustang will do anything because I used a coupon on it
Quote by JKHC
Nope, nowhere cheaper. I doubt the mustang will do anything because I used a coupon on it

So you can't find a lower price anywhere but yet you want them to lower the price...for what reason again?
Well, my Barter skill is not the highest (a mere 65) but for those prices and if you pay in cash, you should be able to haggle them down to $280
Quote by Spartan101400
Well, my Barter skill is not the highest (a mere 65) but for those prices and if you pay in cash, you should be able to haggle them down to $280

There is absolutely no difference if you pay in cash or a card....
Quote by JKHC

Get on Guitar Center's website. Go to their used section. Get your mind blown.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

Paying in credit costs a business more money because they get charged to use a credit system. Cash is cheaper on a business.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at May 23, 2011,
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

Trust me, it makes a difference. Anyone who's worked in retail will tell you why they prefer cash to a card.
Last edited by Spartan101400 at May 23, 2011,
I suppose at some GCs they still let people negotiate, but a couple of years ago the entire company changed owners, and for the most part the haggling was supposed to end, but coupons became more common. Guess it just depends on your location
NOPE
Quote by Spartan101400
Trust me, it makes a difference. Anyone who's worked in retail will tell you why they prefer cash to a card.

I work at Guitar Center...
While we are on this topic (its a good transition statement even though we are not on said topic ) What do you think of the Mitchell MD100SCE Acoustic-electric and the Acoustic AG 30w amp?? Any other recommendations for an acoustic-electric under $200 and an acoustic amp under $200
Quote by JKHC
While we are on this topic (its a good transition statement even though we are not on said topic ) What do you think of the Mitchell MD100SCE Acoustic-electric and the Acoustic AG 30w amp?? Any other recommendations for an acoustic-electric under $200 and an acoustic amp under $200

I think the AG30 is good for small venue/bedroom stuff ; it's a killer little amp. Yamaha makes the 335 which I think feels better over the Mitchell. Try those both out and see which one comes out better to your ear.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I think the AG30 is good for small venue/bedroom stuff ; it's a killer little amp. Yamaha makes the 335 which I think feels better over the Mitchell. Try those both out and see which one comes out better to your ear.

The 335 isn't at my local GC or any music stores nearby.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Yeah but only if you get your Speechcraft skill up

I need to train that? Talking to myself in the mirror should give around 200 experience. Yeah, I'll train like that then train charisma to make it even more effective.
I don't know about other Guitar Centers but the one here where my friend worked had a "5 up" discount...