Page 1 of 2
I just won fifty bucks in a contest on a paper on the evolution of Heavy Metal. I'd like to use this money to buy or contribute to my first overdrive/distortion pedal.

You wouldn't guess this, judging from my previous two senteces but I'm a player of mainly blues rock. I play anywhere from Electric Blues like Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, and Gary Moore, 60's Rock and Roll like the Kinks, The Who, Cream, Hendrix and Stones, to Late 70's Early 80's blues/hard rock, like Zepp, ACDC, Gary Moore, and Aerosmith, to name a few. I occasionaly play Nirvana era music as well.

Based on my prefence for bluesy classic/hard rock, could anyone reccomend a good OD/DS pedal. My budget is up to probably $80. Help would be appreciated.

Jedi Rabbit

P.S. I've only been playing 2 1/2 yrs, so when I said what I play, I meant music influenced like that. I can actually play some of those songs, but that's the kind of music I like.

P.S.S. Please dont call me a noob for this being my first distortion pedal or anything like that,
do you have a tube amp or solid state? different types of amps respond very differently to different pedals.
Is your budget only the $50?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Tube Screamer. Go used and you should find something under budget. Also maybe look at a Digitech Bad Monkey for cheaper. Also maybe look at a Big Muff PI, its a fuzz but gets great sounds. If you look hard enough used, you might score a Bad Monkey and a Big Muff for $80-100.

All this is assuming you are in the US because you didn't specify otherwise and put $$$ as your currency.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Big Muff Pi is always a valid choice. It's a fuzz but it's more than a fuzz, y'know? The controls do a lot and your guitar volume does a lot and there is a lot you can do etc etc.
Quote by JediRabbit
I play anywhere from Electric Blues like Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, B.B. King, and Gary Moore, 60's Rock and Roll like the Kinks, The Who, Cream, Hendrix and Stones, to Late 70's Early 80's blues/hard rock, like Zepp, ACDC, Gary Moore, and Aerosmith, to name a few. I occasionaly play Nirvana era music as well.

Quote by Sir Anonymous
Big Muff Pi is always a valid choice.

I ****ing hate this forum.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If your budget is only $80 then I'd recommend getting a used Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I prefer an 808 modded tube screamer, or an actual 808 if you've got tons of cash, but the Blues Driver is nearly just as good. It's got a different tone though, should try them out and compare.

If you want to do Hendrix type distortion your gonna need to get a fuzz pedal too. I'd recommend a Big Muff (just not the black russian one) or a fuzz face. Doubt you'll be able to afford both a good fuzz and overdrive for $80 though.

Another key to getting nice bluesy distortion is being modest with the controls on overdrive pedals. I prefer to keep the drive/dirt/gain setting on my 808 around 10 o clock, and the amp cranked, though I'm using a tube amp, would probably sound a lot different on a solid state
Last edited by danleary at May 23, 2011,
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Imho you shouldn't get a fuzz face or a big muff pi, they are just too noisy for what you play (though a fuzz can help you through some Hendrix songs).
Anyway i suggest you an Ibanez Tubescreamer, maybe it's a bit over your budget but it's worth it. If you don't want that, get a Boss Blues Driver or Power Stack (depending on how hard you want to rock).
get a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube overdrive. i think $20 over your budget but it's worth it. dont get the Big muff pi. It's good but not suited for u.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Thanks for the help.
I have a Fender Mustang, an awesome solid state amp which has plenty of different presets. My budget isn't just that fifty dollars, I'd be willing to use some more of my money to buy the pedal, but I thought since I've got 50 extra bucks, I thought I'd buy a pedal.
It's all just a thought, I might not even buy a distortion pedal. I just want to have an idea of what I'm going to test.
Thanks again.
Quote by JediRabbit
Thanks for the help.
I have a Fender Mustang, an awesome solid state amp which has plenty of different presets. My budget isn't just that fifty dollars, I'd be willing to use some more of my money to buy the pedal, but I thought since I've got 50 extra bucks, I thought I'd buy a pedal.
It's all just a thought, I might not even buy a distortion pedal. I just want to have an idea of what I'm going to test.
Thanks again.

this doesn't have the makings of a great blues rock set up sorry. an overdrive will be useless with what you have so skip those. if you can't get a good blues sound out of just your amp then that would be the place to start. i love the older blues based rock stuff (being an old guy myself) and i can tell you from experience that a tube amp is what you really need. something like a Peavey Valveking will get you in the neiborhood of most of the players you mentioned (for hendrix you need a fuzz to nail his tone).
^Or a peavey Classic 30 would be great aswell.

But outside of that you should be able to get something decent with the Mustang for now, a pedal isn't going to help that much.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
An 18W Marshall clone would be perfect for teh blooz.

There's loads of cheap ones around.

^True. Also meant to suggest, I actually quite enjoyed the clean channel on the Crate V18 I had a couple years ago. Pushed a bit it was perfect for that kind of stuff and when boosted sounded pretty damn good for the $125 price I paid. I think they normally go for under $200.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by JediRabbit
Thanks for the help.
Thanks again.

use the preset channels. the top 4 should work fine, just don't use much more gain than volume.

add a touch of reverb.

read the manual, it's a pretty decent starter amp honestly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
My amp really does have good settings, but I would like a distortion pedal so I can get the same great blues/rock tone with a different amp, cuz there's a good chance I'll be getting a new one within the next few months.
Thanks again guys. I have plenty of options now.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I ****ing hate this forum.

I get hella Cream, Stones, blues/hard rock and Zep tones out of my BMP. I've never tried for the others but I don't have any doubts in it.

What's your problem man?
Nothing, other than I think very little of EHX and don't believe you about getting what I would consider acceptable tone cops from that pedal.

Ha, I love how in the first page of a pedal thread it immediately turned to, "What you really need is a new amp." Gotta love UG
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Nothing, other than I think very little of EHX and don't believe you about getting what I would consider acceptable tone cops from that pedal.

I'll maybe get some clips down this week or next. Though your mind already seems to be made up.

Mind if I ask what's soured you to the whole company?
I use my big muff when I feel like doing fuzzed-out, art rock or the like. And for Pink Floyd covers. Never have I ever found it very good for doing stuff like Hendrix, Clapton or Page.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I'll maybe get some clips down this week or next. Though your mind already seems to be made up.

Mind if I ask what's soured you to the whole company?

The company. There's nothing they do that somebody else doesn't do better, plus most of their designs weren't impressive to begin with, even if Gilmour used a bunch of them.

Quote by al112987
I use my big muff when I feel like doing fuzzed-out, art rock or the like. And for Pink Floyd covers. Never have I ever found it very good for doing stuff like Hendrix, Clapton or Page.

And this.

Get some proper overdrive for those artists and use a fuzz face-style pedal for Hendrix.

Sorted.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 25, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs

By all means feel free to make suggestions for him. I suggested a BMP along WITH a boost to get him some good tones that will work for budget. They aren't the greatest pedals in the work and I myself don't use many pedals but when I do they are usually too expensive for my own good. You are more than titled to your opinion and I don't completely disagree with you but if you don't have any better suggestions then don't police everyone else's responses.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Its better than alot of other stuff out there. But feel free to suggest other things to get him those tones for 80 bucks. I never said EHX are awesome or anything like that, Im saying they are ok and will get him close enough to those tones FOR NOW. Also feel free to let TS know where he can get a meathead for $80.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bogg808
from japan.

Boss > EHX

"from Japan"? Care to be more vague? Send me a link to one for $80 this week and Ill buy it.

Im only suggesting a BIG MUFF not their other bs effects, I would suggest a Musket but doubt he could afford one of those either. Plus a fuzz is only a plus, I actually suggested a boost FIRST with a big muff being helpful if he had extra cash after.
Course that was also when he hadn't given any info on his amp. Still, not much he is going to get for his budget.

Boss > EHX? Probably. Still doesnt help him in any way. Care to suggest him some good Boss pedals to get him what he wants for his budget?

Easy to bash brands especially mass produced pedals who put out crap, which boss and ehx do quite extensively, but putting that aside can you give options instead of general remarks? Im well aware you know your pedals, most likely better than me, but on a $80 budget there isn't much room for any good suggestions but throwing out things that aren't going to do everything he wants AND are out of his budget isn't helping him a bit.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I don't think the big muff sucks. It's sort of a one-trick-pony I suppose but it does what it does reasonably well.

However, it sounds awful through solid state amps. It sounded awful through my SS Marshalls, and it sounds awful through my Fender Superchamp with a modeling front end. It also does not sound very good at low volumes. Now, it DOES sound pretty good through my Metro 45 when the amp is already on the verge of break up. It also sounds very good when the amp is overdriven, however it will feed back like a demon. I don't really like suggesting it to people with solid state amps, but that's just me. Unless the can full of bees sound is what you are after.
Nothing wrong with the Big Muff. They're just not for anything pre-'70s/'80s, and EHX is a great company. I can't think of a product they've put out that I'd outright call terrible, and they're better than a lot of other effects companies out there by a very, very long shot.

Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin, you're gonna want a Fuzz Face, Tonebender or a Maestro fuzz.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at May 26, 2011,
Quote by JediRabbit
I just won fifty bucks in a contest on a paper on the evolution of Heavy Metal.

Wow... that sounds interesting.... any chance you'd like to share the paper?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by al112987
I don't think the big muff sucks. It's sort of a one-trick-pony I suppose but it does what it does reasonably well.

this. it kind of sums up most of EHX's product range tbh.

most of their pedals just have that one thing they do that they are good at but usually it's an aquired taste that you either love or hate.

however i wouldn't recommend a big muff for what the TS plays, at all. that's exactly the kind of music i play and my big muff rarely gets used.

@Raijouta: uhm - big muff not for anything pre-'70s/'80s? i'm pretty sure they've been making big muffs in one form or another since at least the very early '70s

edit: although i must say, i do feel like EHX has gone downhill an awful lot in the last few years. i have a few of the older sheet-metal chassis pedals and they are pretty well built, but these small die-cast chassis versions are just junky in comparison.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at May 26, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Wow... that sounds interesting.... any chance you'd like to share the paper?

I'd love to share it. My teacher said I had to limit it to a couple paragraphs, so I think I'll look over it and add a bit more detail.
Quote by JediRabbit
Thanks for the help.
Thanks again.

Something like the Boss Blues Driver or Digitech Screaming blues is probably the way to go, an overdrive like a Tubescreamer probably isn't going to be quite gainy enough to use as a stand-alone dirt pedal and it'll sound shit if you try to run it on any of the distortion channels.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've made some progress on my pedal. I've thrown the fifty bucks into an amp and pedal fund, which I plan to use to get a Fender Blues Junior and either a Boss SD 1, Boss Blues Driver or Tube Screamer, which, together with my crybaby and hopeful Fender Blues Junior, will complete my dream rig. Does anyone have any thoughts? It should be em
Quote by JediRabbit
I've made some progress on my pedal. I've thrown the fifty bucks into an amp and pedal fund, which I plan to use to get a Fender Blues Junior and either a Boss SD 1, Boss Blues Driver or Tube Screamer, which, together with my crybaby and hopeful Fender Blues Junior, will complete my dream rig. Does anyone have any thoughts? It should be em

that would work fine.

but you should be able to get a good blues tone straight from the mustang.

did you read the manual and my post above?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by JediRabbit
My amp really does have good settings, but I would like a distortion pedal so I can get the same great blues/rock tone with a different amp, cuz there's a good chance I'll be getting a new one within the next few months.
Thanks again guys. I have plenty of options now.

i'd wait until i had my next amp. until you know what the strengths and weaknesses of you next amp are you won't know what pedal to get. pedals do not react the same across the board so some might work better than others with any given amp.

gregs1020 is right you should be able to get some decent blues sounds from your current amp. will you nail the tones you mentioned well probably not. they all use tube amps and play a variety of different guitars. experiment and realize that you have limited experience with tone shaping. by experimenting you will learn a lot. no pedal will give you instant great blues rock tone.
Page 1 of 2