Hey dudes, I'm in the process of building an online system that can

1. Create loops of sections of songs
2. Display the tabs for those sections
3. And coolest, slow down the song without changing the pitch

Part 3, slowing down the song is a BITCH to figure out how to code. So I'm wondering... does anyone here see the value in slowing down a song to learn it? I know it works super well for me, but curious what ya'll think....
Try Guitar Pro, or a free, less advanced Power Tab.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Gabriel Fauré

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
I just play the song slower till I can get it up to speed. Why do you need to play along with the track?
garage band for does it. and some other program (that I spent forever looking for a year or two ago when I didn't have mac)

but I love doing that. it helps so much. especially with solos and trying to figure out chords. especially when playing piano.
Quote by xposed
3. And coolest, slow down the song without changing the pitch

Amazing Slow Downer.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Nope, i'm actually good
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Erik_Aero
I just play the song slower till I can get it up to speed. Why do you need to play along with the track?

Timing and whatnot. I'd rather play to a track of the song I'm learning than to a metronome.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Quote by Erik_Aero

This is what I do, it's better technique and you can stop and start again any time.

This afternoon I was trying to get the legato lines in Waiting For An Alibi up to speed.
i do it using quicktime. well, the old quicktime. for some reason, quicktime 10 doesn't seem to have the eq inside it where you can slow it down without modifying pitch.

i did it once to learn holy mountains by system of a down, it helps a lot, and i found myself hearing really obscure ghost notes that nobody plays on the covers, and you can tell what string is being plucked better etc.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by GezzyDiversion
This is what I do, it's better technique and you can stop and start again any time.

How is playing slower with the slower track worse technique than playing the same thing slower without the track?

It sounds like the same thing as far as playing goes. You're just playing along with the track in one, and not the other. Unless I'm missing something entirely, technique shouldn't be better or worse in either scenario assuming you're using a metronome when not playing along with the track.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess playing along with the track could lead to sloppiness. Just ignore this. Didn't put much thought into it when I posted it.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at May 27, 2011,
Quote by 3074326

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess playing along with the track could lead to sloppiness. Just ignore this. Didn't put much thought into it when I posted it.

If you're playing by yourself, you can focus 100% on the guitar part and not try and hide mistakes with the track. People can do what they feel is best, but that's just my opinion.
Usually when theres a decent guitar pro 5 tab I use that. Other times I just drag the track in VLC media player and slow the song down there. Works for me.
I, like, use the metronome, yo. Before, I would record myself (this is great, seriously), but I don't have the tools any more.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
slowing it down doesn't
work for me, because its not
going fast enough
what really work is speed songs up
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Quote by tortilla
slowing it down doesn't
work for me, because its not
going fast enough
what really work is speed songs up

Amazing post, for some reason
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
I used the guitar trainer from tascam. Just pop the cd in and slow it down. Recently I've been doing it along with the song at the regular speed just repeating that part till I get it somewhere decent. Then I fix my errors over time.
talk to me
and i better not hear a word
do me baby
i better not feel it girl
i still got one bullet left in my nine
finna do a love crime
love crime
finna do a love crime

lovecrimes -- frank ocean

Tumblr
I do that with TuxGuitar a lot. It usually helps.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
ctrl + shift + s in Windows Media Player slows a track down without changing pitch. ctrl + shift + n reverts it back to regular speed. I pretty much never use the feature though.