I have a kind of confusing question. I really like chords that I can go up and down the neck with and have open strings ringing out somewhere, like C#5, B5 and A5 with the B and high E strings ringing out. Are there any other tunings/ chords like this? I mean, I know there are obviously, but how do I figure them out? Just by experimenting?
love is love // return to dust
try dadgad, i don't use it much, but every second chord i hear from a guitar using it is some type of open/suspended shape moved up and down the neck.
Well the stuff you're referring to can be used in standard (or any derivative of it), but like gavk, I like DADGAD. I'm sure other open tunings will work just as well.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Yeah, I really like DADGAD. Is there like any websites where I can just look up open/suspended chords for that tuning though? I just really like messing around with chords like that lol
love is love // return to dust
There are hundreds of different tunings. Figure out the notes to a chord, tune your strings up/down to them (within reason). That's all.

For example you could say that E standard is actually an open Em7bb5 (or whatever the correct terminology is, I'm not very good with that ).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
For example you could say that E standard is actually an open Em7bb5 (or whatever the correct terminology is, I'm not very good with that ).

I'm gonna call it that now

"Hey guys, I'm actually in Em7doubleflat5"

I'm pretty sure it's Em7add11, though
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I'm gonna call it that now

"Hey guys, I'm actually in Em7doubleflat5"

I'm pretty sure it's Em7add11, though

My version is more complex = better.

Whilst I've got you here, can you explain why it's the add11 rather than bb5 or add4?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
My version is more complex = better.

Whilst I've got you here, can you explain why it's the add11 rather than bb5 or add4?

Well, it's not bb5 cause it's not a Bbb And, typically with chord names, you use the octave above (like add9 for a second, or add13 for a 6th) because it tells you a couple things about the chord (in a general sense, mind you):

It tells you the note and it tells you the octave it's in, kinda like if you were reading a lead sheet. It's not so much that way anymore, but it's stuck and it is what it is. Your way isn't technically wrong, it's just not right. Y'know?

BUT

If it's a suspension you use sus4 or sus2 since it actually functions as a 2nd or a 4th to lead to the chord tones.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Well, it's not bb5 cause it's not a Bbb And, typically with chord names, you use the octave above (like add9 for a second, or add13 for a 6th) because it tells you a couple things about the chord (in a general sense, mind you):

It tells you the note and it tells you the octave it's in, kinda like if you were reading a lead sheet. It's not so much that way anymore, but it's stuck and it is what it is. Your way isn't technically wrong, it's just not right. Y'know?

BUT

If it's a suspension you use sus4 or sus2 since it actually functions as a 2nd or a 4th to lead to the chord tones.

Oh I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong. I just clicked that there's a fifth existing in the rest of the "E standard chord" which I guess would function as part of that chord once you stacked it up. So we have the 7th in addition to the root and the 11 comes in on the second string acting as the A note, but is not replacing the 5th but acting as an extension to the chord as the 5th is still present on the B string.

Something like that?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Oh I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong. I just clicked that there's a fifth existing in the rest of the "E standard chord" which I guess would function as part of that chord once you stacked it up. So we have the 7th in addition to the root and the 11 comes in on the second string acting as the A note, but is not replacing the 5th but acting as an extension to the chord as the 5th is still present on the B string.

Something like that?

Precisely!
Quote by tancanada
Yeah, I really like DADGAD. Is there like any websites where I can just look up open/suspended chords for that tuning though? I just really like messing around with chords like that lol

find a chord that you like and tune your guitar to that. I personally love using open C (CGCGCE) and open Cminor (CGCGCEb) and open G (DGDGBD) and open E (EGBGBE).... of course all of these have other ways to tune it, like you could tune open C like EGCGCE or open G could be BGDGGB... in case you couldn't tell all the open tunings are based off the chords, open C = Cmajor (CEG) etc. as long as you have all the right notes go for it.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Precisely!

That's great but I'm still going to use the bb5 because it's more awesome and suggests modality which makes me a better player.

Thanks for trying but I'm not up for noob stuff, I'm a brutalz lead player. Chordz are for the noobier person in my band anyways (rhythm guitarist).

Soundcloud