Hey everyone, I've had a lack of direction in my guitar playing lately and I've decided to kick it into gear and really commit to a set regimen of practice. So far I've created a schedule where I run through my daily exercises and them delve into two songs by a particular band to break down and practice. The last day is where I learn some new music theory and use it to try and make my own music/improvise over a backing track. This is my rough draft of what it would possibly look like.

Day 1 (Dream Theater):

Exercises
Innocence Faded & Peruvian Skies

Day 2(Trivium):

Exercises
Dying In Your Arms & Like Light to Flies

Day 3(Death):

Exercises
Trapped in A Corner & The Philosopher

Day 4(Megadeth):

Exercises
Symphony of Destruction & Tornado of Souls

Day 5(Metallica):

Exercises
Fade To Black & One

Day 6(Joe Satriani):

Exercises
Always With me, Always With You & Cryin'

Day 7(Music Theory):

Exercises
Music Theory
Improvisation with theory

Any thoughts/suggestions for it?
Last edited by InertSolo at May 23, 2011,
That is the WEIRDEST practice schedule I've ever seen

I'm assuming you've got these organized by the techniques they use yes? It seems like it anyway.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
That is the WEIRDEST practice schedule I've ever seen

I'm assuming you've got these organized by the techniques they use yes? It seems like it anyway.

Pretty much yes sir One thing I was wondering though, should I change the exercises day by day to cater to the particular skill set I might use during the songs (such as tapping for the Death songs since they both feature sections that incorporate the technique etc.)
I have never been able to really stick to a schedule.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I think you should place songs over 2 days instead of one, but thats just my 2 cents. It helped me alot more to practice the same 2 songs monday and tuesday or monday and wednesday to keep my fingers used to the song. but as said, my opinion
If that practice schedule works for you then go for it. Theres no right or wrong way.

I plan my next practice session at the end of my last one...it'll be "continue learning this song"...or... "chord construction"...or... "get the fingering of that scale down" or whatever. That way you're always looking forward to the next practice, because its something you really want to do.

Avoiding the scenario where practice becomes boredom is imortant. If I'm really unmotivated...I acknowledge it... dont practice at all... just crank the amp up and play riffs by Iggy Pop and The Stooges. Works every time!
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by Sickz
I think you should place songs over 2 days instead of one, but thats just my 2 cents. It helped me alot more to practice the same 2 songs monday and tuesday or monday and wednesday to keep my fingers used to the song. but as said, my opinion

I was thinking about going this route as well, it certainly does have it's share of merits. But I figure since I have plenty of time (anywhere from 2 hours+) to practice I should be able to make steady gains either way. I'll probably end up trying both.

Thanks for the advice to you and the poster above me, that certainly makes sense to me to sometimes just take a break and do a jam on a song I like to break up the monotony.
wait are you talking about playing songs you already know, or are you going to try to learn these songs so you can learn to apply certian techniques?

if you are just practicing songs you already know, then this should be fine, however if you are trying to learn these songs you may want to spend more time on each to perfect it......
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Interesting schedule, I'm surprised how many people on this forum practice songs--not saying that's a bad thing. Myself, working on pure technique, I do about an hour and a half Monday through Friday doing alternate picking exercises, then on Sat and Sun I work on songs.
I'd have a warm up peroid of about 15-20 minutes in which you can warm your muscles up for playing - It'll make practice and playing afterwards much more comfortable. Stretching and some small massages beforehand (just rubbing your hands and arms really, nothing fancy) can really help. (inb4inuendo)

I'd have the same familiar warm up exercises (just some chromatics and finger stretches really, and some picking to get your hands warmed up) and have different exercises every week for a specific technique - If you practice one single exercise for ages you tend not to benefit as much as practicing multiple exercises for shorter amounts of time (generally I tend to find, as well as a lot of people according to these forums, that after 10-15 minutes you should stop playing a single exercise/lick and move onto another one).
Quote by afrika18
Interesting schedule, I'm surprised how many people on this forum practice songs--not saying that's a bad thing. Myself, working on pure technique, I do about an hour and a half Monday through Friday doing alternate picking exercises, then on Sat and Sun I work on songs.

As said everyone is diffrent

I did what you do for a while (but purely technique, no songs) and now i can learn many songs alot faster.
needs moar theory tbh, that is if you plan on writing your own songs. anyway, i dont recommend schedules unless you can easily keep to it. Like, you dont wanna be picking up the guitar and thinking "OH great i have to do X today, my least favourite". you'll become unfocused.

what i recommend is knowing what you should and want to do in your head, spread it out a bit and do what you want to do, whilst keeping everything in mind. e.g. i'll think "right, did that and that already this week but none of this, so i'll do this now"

but ultimately everyone has different mindsets so its about finding your method