One thing is for sure I need to know time signatures and bpm's and even then there are a lot of other things to consider to see what can be done. An mp3 of the actual song would help tremendously to see what loops I have, or create to make work with the song. All things are not created equal when dealing with midi. If the drum map is different what drums your triggering could be different from what my midi map is setup for, Plus depending on the kit (electronic) you recorded with, some sounds may not be identified the same. Its not so easy to swap midi files like that unless you are looking for some unexpected chance thing to work out, but I am no midi xpert. I just have toontrack superior drummer with every possible expansion, so I thought I'd plug it in. Message me and I can see If the basic 4/4 beat I got from it, sounds anything like what the song requires.
I just listened to a song on your site. When were those drums done? If you need help with that you need a professional the drums sounded pretty good to me.
^What the hell are you talking about?

Merging source tracks will set all of the time signatures up automatically. And in fact, most things are created equal with MIDI. Generally the drum mapping is pretty standard (kick on 36, etc...) so it's pretty much just importing the MIDI file into your DAW and hitting render once you're happy with the drum sound.

The real problem here is dynamics, as guitar pro has none.
Quote by pushingthrough
I just listened to a song on your site. When were those drums done? If you need help with that you need a professional the drums sounded pretty good to me.

Our drummer who recently left the band recorded those and then we edited the tracks a little in the studio.
Quote by enselmis
^What the hell are you talking about?

Merging source tracks will set all of the time signatures up automatically. And in fact, most things are created equal with MIDI. Generally the drum mapping is pretty standard (kick on 36, etc...) so it's pretty much just importing the MIDI file into your DAW and hitting render once you're happy with the drum sound.

The real problem here is dynamics, as guitar pro has none.

The lack of dynamics kind of sucks but I've heard some pretty decent tracks that were created starting with guitar pro.
okay enselmis like i said I'm no expert I only just got into this midi shit, settle down I offered a disclaimer.
now I know source tracks set up time signatures. wasn't sure. Then I guess what I listened to in my toontrack was right then. I wasnt sure, I've never had anyone send me a midi source file and cue it right up. I wasnt sure as to whether there were some kind of standards to mapping. I love this crap I'm constantly learning.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I thought it sounded kinda funny. Whats the original time sig and tempo, I'll redo it for ya.

I don't think the song repeats a time signature twice for two parts. Maybe it does a couple times. It starts in 3/4 and the goes to 7/8 to 4/4 to 15/16 and so on. Tempo is 222 bpm.
Quote by hazarmaveth
I don't think the song repeats a time signature twice for two parts. Maybe it does a couple times. It starts in 3/4 and the goes to 7/8 to 4/4 to 15/16 and so on. Tempo is 222 bpm.

Geeze! What's wrong with you man? I knew metal was about being complex but that's just nuts.

Ok, this one should be with all the correct time sigs, if your GP5 was correct.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Some%20dudes%20metal%20drums%20take%20two.mp3
All I know Is I was criticized when I said its not so easy sharing one to the other and here now everyone is saying things dont sound right etc.. I dont know crap but I didnt think it would be so easy.
haz, let me know how my drum track sounds, I'm really curious now. By the way am running toontrack supeior drummer 2.0
Last edited by pushingthrough at May 24, 2011,
Quote by pushingthrough
All I know Is I was criticized when I said its not so easy sharing one to the other and here now everyone is saying things dont sound right etc.. I dont know crap but I didnt think it would be so easy.

Well, when it comes to MIDI, if there's no change in the song tempo setting then it works just fine, but if your like this guy and have about 5 different song changes in the drums, that you can't account for when preloading the MIDI into a drum machine, it throws everything off.

But MIDI'ing your drums is a fairly easy thing.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Geeze! What's wrong with you man? I knew metal was about being complex but that's just nuts.

Ok, this one should be with all the correct time sigs, if your GP5 was correct.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Some%20dudes%20metal%20drums%20take%20two.mp3

Yep that's right time wise. The sound doesn't fit the style of music really well but thanks for taking the time.

Anyone have software more geared to metal? For example a tighter bass drum and cymbals that fit the genre?
Quote by pushingthrough
Here's what mine put out just plug and play.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30195172/Some%20guys%20drums%20take%202.mp3

Sounds a little better. The tempo is high though. We play it at 222 bpm. Does the program load it to that tempo?

On the sound, the cymbals are kinda bad. And the bass drum is low in the mix. Again thanks for the effort though.
If you still need someone to do this in a few days I may have the patience to do so through piano roll and some samples, but for now I'm sorry but can't really be arsed at 6:30am Unless there's some kind of reward...

But yeah, you're asking a lot of people's good will I think, if you want people to get you great-sounding drums from just a Guitar Pro MIDI export, which essentially means they'll have to know all the time sig./tempo data and then go through and humanize everything, as well as any changes that need to be done to allow the cymbals to sound more natural...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by hazarmaveth
Anyone else want to give it a try with their software?

What's stopping you from grabbing a copy of Reaper and giving it a whirl yourself? It's free, and I wrote two tutorials on doing drums in the MIDI editor. Check the R&R sticky for a link.
Quote by CarsonStevens
What's stopping you from grabbing a copy of Reaper and giving it a whirl yourself? It's free, and I wrote two tutorials on doing drums in the MIDI editor. Check the R&R sticky for a link.

Did you really? I might check that out, since I cannot for the life of me get the MIDI drum machines to work in Reaper, like, it uploads the MIDI track, and the Drum VSTI, and I hit play, and nothing happens. The MIDI track is sounding off, but there is no noise from the VSTI. Grrrr
Quote by ethan_hanus
Holy crap!!! 95 megs?!? What did you do to it?

rendered at 98000kbs i think wanted him to have max quality
Quote by ethan_hanus
Did you really? I might check that out, since I cannot for the life of me get the MIDI drum machines to work in Reaper, like, it uploads the MIDI track, and the Drum VSTI, and I hit play, and nothing happens. The MIDI track is sounding off, but there is no noise from the VSTI. Grrrr

I had trouble with it at first, too. If the tutorials don't help, send me a PM and I'll see if I can't work it out.
Quote by wozzsta
rendered at 98000kbs i think wanted him to have max quality

Lol, yeah it took a while for me to check it out, but the sound was pretty kickin' IMHO.
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
Quote by datgnat
Lol, yeah it took a while for me to check it out, but the sound was pretty kickin' IMHO.

thanks, i used superior drummer 2 with Ola Englunds Feared preset. and did a bit of playing with the snare and kick with drumagog 5
Quote by CarsonStevens

Will do!