im selling my marshall to get a heavier amp. my price range would be around 450 to 500. what would u guys recomend? thnx ion advanced
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
Used 6505 112. 5150/6505 is the only way to go for deathcore imo. Well, in the lower budget range anyway.
WTLTL 2011
well i was planning on getting a 6505 later on as a half stack but i dont have the money, soo i wanted to settle for a combo. but ow much would the 112 6505 cost new and used?
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
either a new 6505 combo, or a used 5150/6505 stack/combo. It really is the perfect deathcore amp in the price range.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Not sure about the cost...but if you can work up the patience you should get either the 6505 212 or the a used head + 2x12.

I'm not a fan of 1x12, always sounds a little boxy (pun intended).
WTLTL 2011
you can get a 6505+combo 112 new for 599$. idk about used tho. I just ordered mine today.
it'll be plenty loud. i used to have a 5150 and i played shows with it on 2 or 3 AT MOST
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
A 5150/6505 won't sound modern enough for deathcore. They do death metal very well, but not deathcore by themselves. So I'll also have to give a vote for the 6505+ 112, as much as I dislike that amp.

A Peavey XXX might also be an option to look into. I know Suffocation uses them for death metal, and I think they have really good tone on their Blood Oath album. But again, that's death metal, so I'm not sure how it would hold up for deathcore.

Either one should be in your budget used. The only thing is that XXX combos are a pretty rare sight, at least where I am.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
would the 112 be loud enough to gig? cuz its only 60W

Plenty loud. Wattage beyond 60 is mostly for headroom, not so much added volume.
WTLTL 2011
the + has separate EQ for both channels. The best way I can explain it is this: Buy the + if you really want some extra control over your clean channel. You'll be able to get roughly the same tones out of each one. If I were you, I would just get whatever I could find cheaper

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
how much $ do you think i can get if i sell my marshall 102fx and my roland cube 30x?
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
how much $ do you think i can get if i sell my marshall 102fx and my roland cube 30x?

Possibly about $200 for both. Probably less though.

As for the 6505+ vs 6505, there are some tonal differences. The 6505 is a lot more raw, aggressive and in your face. The 6505+ doesn't really have the same kind of balls, but has a more modern and compressed tone. The compromise is that you have much more control over the 6505+, as it has separate EQ's, which gives you more control over the clean/crunch aspects of the amp. The 6505 has a simple 3 band EQ that governs the clean, crunch and lead channels.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A 5150/6505 won't sound modern enough for deathcore. They do death metal very well, but not deathcore by themselves. So I'll also have to give a vote for the 6505+ 112, as much as I dislike that amp.

A Peavey XXX might also be an option to look into. I know Suffocation uses them for death metal, and I think they have really good tone on their Blood Oath album. But again, that's death metal, so I'm not sure how it would hold up for deathcore.

Either one should be in your budget used. The only thing is that XXX combos are a pretty rare sight, at least where I am.

A 5150/6505 wont be modern enough for deathcore tell that to chelsea grin who use 6505s ive worked there shows, whitechapel used to use 6505s before going to evh 5150 IIIs, theres too many deathcore bands who use 5150/6505s to name but those are 2 of the bigger more know names in dc who use 6505s or have used them.

ts- I personally love the sound of rectifiers for deathcore but there out of your budget, Id look for used 5150/6505s the xxx isnt a bad choice either id rather have a 5150/6505 for deathcore than a xxx thats my personal preference though.
60 watts is plenty for gigging I gig a 50 watt recto-verb no problem.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at May 23, 2011,
triple recto the guitarist of suicide silence uses em
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Like I've mentionned, used 6505 in OP's area goes for at least 700$

Brand new 6505+ 112 is 600$ + taxes
Blues Jr.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by slipknot_420
A 5150/6505 wont be modern enough for deathcore tell that to chelsea grin who use 6505s ive worked there shows, whitechapel used to use 6505s before going to evh 5150 IIIs, theres too many deathcore bands who use 5150/6505s to name but those are 2 of the bigger more know names in dc who use 6505s or have used them.

All of those bands use the 6505+, and/or tubescreamers.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The +'s aren't THAT different. If a band uses a +, you can get the same sound without one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by slipknot_420

Just to add; both also, as well as every other "heavy" band who uses 5150/6505, have Sonic Maxs running through the effects loop. That helps a lot.

I was in a somewhat known band and everyone we toured with, played with and hung out with, including Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin, talked about how surprisingly good my tone was.

Sure, I have my Mesa Dual Rec with me at every show, but it's for back up.
I mainly use a Peavey Ultra Plus (which is pretty much the same thing as a XXX) that I bought used for 300 bucks. Then I swapped out all the tubes for Mesa tubes. I do have a BBE Sonic Max in my rack, but I only used it when I was playing with one of my 2x12 / 1x15 cabs.
I mainly used my Vaders and didn't really need it with that amp.

Which, brings me to my next part.
For "deathcore" and a lot of deathmetal, oomph, bass and bass response is vital.
Sure, you're going to get a high gain sound and distortion, but the 1x12 isn't going to put out a lot of "oomph".

You are on a budget and looking for just a head, but, always remember your cabinet and speakers makes up for a good bit of your tone as well.

So, in conclusion; yes, 5150/6505 and a XXX/Ultra Plus is great for deathcore.
Awesome!
Quote by Offworld92

/rig
Quote by InanezGuitars44
The +'s aren't THAT different. If a band uses a +, you can get the same sound without one.

They sound pretty different to me. Tubes and cabs might have a bit to do with that though, I'll admit.

Quote by sheaaa
Just to add; both also, as well as every other "heavy" band who uses 5150/6505, have Sonic Maxs running through the effects loop. That helps a lot.

I was in a somewhat known band and everyone we toured with, played with and hung out with, including Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin, talked about how surprisingly good my tone was.

Is there a stompbox version of that?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
All of those bands use the 6505+, and/or tubescreamers.

Chelsea grin was using 6505s on the welcome to hell tour, along with half the other bands
Anyways theres not that much difference sound wise between them.
Either one would suit deathcore well.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
They sound pretty different to me. Tubes and cabs might have a bit to do with that though, I'll admit.

Is there a stompbox version of that?

Yes, sir. There is.

Click me! I take you somewhere cool! Here is the Musicians Friend page for it.
Awesome!
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
would the 112 be loud enough to gig? cuz its only 60W

It's only a tiny bit quieter than a 100W.
It will be more than loud enough
Quote by InanezGuitars44

The standard 6505 is much more aggressive and has more gain overall.
the + is a bit tamer and has slightly less gain, but better cleans.
Both have more gain than you could ever use.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 24, 2011,
Quote by sheaaa
Yes, sir. There is.

Click me! I take you somewhere cool! Here is the Musicians Friend page for it.

Oh wow, that's really cool. I'm assuming it goes in the loop?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah.. I mean, it CAN go in front, but in most cases it just sounds like poop then.. When it's in the loop it can tighten up and clarify a lot.
Plus, a lot of people say it makes their tone worse. That's because they're using it wrong.
In 99% of the cases, very minimal application of both knobs are needed. Not just turning both all the way up and turning it on.
Awesome!
as a note if you run the sonic stomp in your loop make sure it is the LAST pedal in your loop.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
As another note, stay clear of the BBE sonic maximizer (any version) before you have tried 5150/6505 + TS + Noise supressor. THIS is the setup everyone uses.

Start with a barebone 6505 setup, and add as you feel is needed. Please, don't buy pedals just because others use it or recommend it. Buy pedals because you hear that you're missing something that needs fixing.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at May 24, 2011,
I can agree. I only put it there because I have seen both of the fore mentioned band's rigs and they have or have had the BBE set up, as well as A LOT of the larger "deathcore" bands.
But, yes. Only buy something if you are unhappy with the bare sound and think or know that it will help you achieve your desired sound.
Awesome!
Last edited by sheaaa at May 24, 2011,