Page 1 of 2
Woohooo, I finally got my Flying V. It has a really ugly gold finish, like a goldtop Les Paul. I took it to a shop to get some saddles (which i got for free thanks to the awesome people who work at guitar shops ) and they identified it as an Epiphone. Anyway, this is going to be picture heavy and all that, although if someone could show me how to put pictures on the posts instead of in links, that would help. I could probably search it but I'm very lazy. ANYWAY, I've started sanding it today at school and found a real nice looking flamed maple top. I'm going to document it here so feel free to watch and comment as needed.
What it needs:
Nut
Truss rod cover
Electronics (Have electronics from an Jackson strat and an Epiphone Les Paul that i might throw in)
Pickups (Have Epiphone zebra pups from a smashed Les Paul that i might put in)
Tremolo arm
Strap locks
Jack plate (Ordered one from ebay)
Tremolo cover
Control panel cover
A decent finish

What it has:
One of the nicest necks I've ever seen on a guitar
Yamaha Tuners
Binding on the head and body
A god-awful gold "finish"
A vintage fender-style tremolo bridge
Straplocks that need to be replaced
Chips and scratches galore
Set neck
Holes for a weird-shaped pickguard?
Star logo covered by black paint on the head
A really nice flamed maple top

P.S. His name's Bob the Flyin' V
Attachments:
Flyin V.jpg
V bridge.jpg
V front.jpg
V headstock.jpg
Last edited by NorthAfrican38 at May 23, 2011,
I'd like to finish it by the end of school (2 and a half weeks) for a presentation, what do you all think about that time limit? haha
Ooh, that's nice once you got that horrible gold off of it. You totally need to put transparent finish on it. A bright colour like blue or green would look nice I reckon.
You still have alot of work to do, in quite a short time. Good luck!
So, question time. Do I sand down through the stain and get to the wood, then stain, or do I stain over the current stain?

By the way, nice Dewgong, robhc
Quote by NorthAfrican38
So, question time. Do I sand down through the stain and get to the wood, then stain, or do I stain over the current stain?

By the way, nice Dewgong, robhc

Sand it, then stain again or else the stains will merge together and probably make a weird color.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Why all the gold hate? I think the goldtop color is beautiful...

EDIT: oops..saw pics, saw flamed maple...you did the right thing son...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Almost done sanding, would be done right now if my industrial-grade sander didn't shred up my sandpaper every 4 minutes lmao.

Also, some emailed me saying he's selling EMG HZ's. How much are they worth and are they any good?
Attachments:
BOBALMOSTDONESANDING!.jpg
I personally love gold-tops, but a gold-top Explorer? That's just plain ugly. Gold-tops are meant for guitars with class.

With those EMG HZ's:
I do hope you know those really aren't the EMG's that you've heard of. Those are passive pickups. I've never tried any of EMG's passive pickups but I can tell you when most people hear EMG, they think active.

You have to sand the old stain off. Putting stain on top of that will just mix the two colours together and depending on your tastes, it'll most likely be ugly.

Good luck on your project!
..I was watching my death.
Lookin good man, keep at it! Not a fan of the emg hz pickups. What kind of music are you into?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
i play pretty much everything. Rock, metal, blues. I dont really want active pickups cuz i'm cheap and i hate using 9v batteries. It's really between these and some zebra pickups i got off of a smashed Les Paul special, unless something better comes up. by the way, timbit, it's a flying v. ;D
Last edited by NorthAfrican38 at May 25, 2011,
Quote by NorthAfrican38
i play pretty much everything. Rock, metal, blues. I dont really want active pickups cuz i'm cheap and i hate using 9v batteries. It's really between these and some zebra pickups i got off of a smashed Les Paul special, unless something better comes up. by the way, timbit, it's a flying v. ;D

Right, not sure why I said Explorer. I guess the word Explorer is in my mind because I'm currently building one.

With actives, you only ever need to change the battery once a year or twice depending on how much you play the guitar.
I would look around for a jb/59 combo from seymour duncan...or super distortion/paf pro combo from dimarzio
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
What's the advantage of having active pickups? Do they sound noticeably better? I would buy "good" pickups but i dont have that much money right now haha
Actives emgs can handle very high gain, and in some cases they have really nice cleans. Tube amps are where actives seem to shine. I would go with passives as they tend to be cheaper, and can sound just as amazing.

I'm no expert, but this is just my experience.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
I've played passive in my ibanez and my custom double neck and all my other guitars, they play really well. Of course, I have no experience with actives, so that doesnt say much. This is probably going to be passive unless i can get some cheap EMG's on craislist. What do you guys think about a stained wood back versus a straight black back on the guitar?
Quote by NorthAfrican38
What's the advantage of having active pickups? Do they sound noticeably better? I would buy "good" pickups but i dont have that much money right now haha

I think the real advantage is that because they are powered, it gives you a higher output with less string pull.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by NorthAfrican38
I've played passive in my ibanez and my custom double neck and all my other guitars, they play really well. Of course, I have no experience with actives, so that doesnt say much. This is probably going to be passive unless i can get some cheap EMG's on craislist. What do you guys think about a stained wood back versus a straight black back on the guitar?

I'd stain it the same colour as the top personally.
Quote by robhc
I'd stain it the same colour as the top personally.

Me too

Nice to see the pictures of this project coming together. I think it's going to look really cool once it's finished, and a flying V with a tremolo is really unique
How do i do a sunburst? and yeah, if i stain it the top and bottom will be the same. Also, does anyone know where i can get the back plate for the electronics and where i can get a cheap, quality nut?
Got Bob all put together for an engineering conference presentation. Thought i'd do a "what it needs" type thing again, and throw in some pictures of the top. He's looking really pretty Oh, and so is Bob. (Lame joke that im too ugly to make). By the way, should i have a les paul-style truss rod cover or a huge flying v type cover?

What it needs:
New nut
Truss rod cover
Pickup rings
Tremolo arm
Tremolo cover
Control panel cover
A stain
Attachments:
sandingbob.jpg
bobsanded.jpg
bobsanded2.jpg
as per the question to the control cavity cover plate,

I think the best way to be sure would be to make one yourself. There probably are ready made "Flying V" control plates. But where yours was most likely an import it may not fit correctly. Size wouldn't be the biggest issue, since you could just re-shape it. But if the pre-drilled holes don't line up, it might look ugly.

A blank sheet of matte plastic at a hardware store would work, and it's easy to shape yourself
Quote by NorthAfrican38
Almost done sanding, would be done right now if my industrial-grade sander didn't shred up my sandpaper every 4 minutes lmao.

Maybe you should invest in industrial-grade sandpaper too?
I should invest in better sandpaper, but i just got the sander from my teacher. And since i have access to a bandsaw now, i can make a custom plate
Quote by NorthAfrican38
I should invest in better sandpaper, but i just got the sander from my teacher. And since i have access to a bandsaw now, i can make a custom plate

Are you specifically using a blade designed for plastic or is it just a general purpose blade?
If it's general purpose I reccomend you tape the plastic for the cover onto a piece of scrap wood. Then you cut both at the same time. This makes for a cleaner cut with very little risk of the plastic breaking. It helped my band-saw make cleaner cuts on plastic, I don't know if this applies to all bandsaws though.
Hey, sorry for not responding for a few days. I think im getting sick lol. Anyway, there's half of the last layer of stain left on the back. Just got some black stain today, thinking of doing it like this

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.deanguitars.com/images/summer05/bgv.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D987383&usg=__gU0BvzR0Ck4k1VU1XLqU3oJoYn0=&h=192&w=479&sz=56&hl=en&start=25&sig2=3-LdPx-ZBMcKEdMbbubYxA&zoom=1&tbnid=w3vX0H9W8fibBM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=207&ei=N6DlTfPDGYKusAPdt8iEBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bflamed%2Bmaple%2Bflying%2Bv%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26biw%3D1563%26bih%3D838%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=238&vpy=366&dur=3571&hovh=142&hovw=355&tx=261&ty=74&page=2&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:25&biw=1563&bih=838

I got some laquer thinner, laquer stripper, and all-purpose stripper also today to try on my almost-sanded down strat body, and none of the 3 worked at all, except on a little bit of paint and clear coat in the tremolo cavity. I would try it on my Flying V but i'm reluctant to try it since it didnt work on my lower-quality guitar. I found the parts i want that i don't already have: Some fancy tremolo nut with "roller bearing technology" (lol), a shadow kill pot, the output jack (already came in), and new straplocks (current ones cant hold on a strap for their life), . And some aviator shades cuz my old ones got stolen. Anyone know where i can get a custom-engraved fancy lookin tremolo cover for not that much? Other than that all it needs is the control panel cover, and, in regards to timbit's previous post, I believe it's an all-purpose blade of the saw because everyone in my class is using it on wood and crap. My engineering class is full of animals, and even more savage beasts during lunch (when i work through lunch) cuz of the freshmen.

On other news, I got some wanted ads up on craigslist for some parts (and pedals ) i want, along with some things I'm selling (Ibanez Tube Screamer and crappy behringer pedals and 2 amps), so if anyone in cali (san diego) wants to see them, pm me or post on here. In OTHER news, I got me a sexy Fender studio 85 at the swap meet for 80 bucks. Sounds amazing. If anyone wants to be a troll and be like "that's random though!", I'll be like "Well get the [fudge] (yes i censored that myself) out of my thread and they relate to it cuz i spend budget money on a new amp"

Anyway, If you got through that massive wall of text, congratulations! I would show you a picture of a monkey but I'm too lazy to find one. I could show you a Les Paul i duct taped and made into a forever alone face on paint, if anyone really wants me to.
Last edited by NorthAfrican38 at May 31, 2011,
I liked the gold finish.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
If you're still wanting some pickups, GFS pickups are good budget ones. I have a guitar from their with GFS pickups and I put one in a friend's guitar once. They're cheap but don't sound quite as cheap as they really are. The high output one sounded better than my HZ and was $30.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
as per the engraving question, It would most likely be cheaper to take a stock tremolo cover to someone around town, like someone who does engraving anyway (like a trophy shop, or a store that engraves rings)
Do you really need a truss rod cover?
I think they look ugly and have taken them off almost all my guitars.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Page 1 of 2