Quote by DiminishedFifth
A5(#11) says I.

Name that chord thread next time.

I would argue that it's an Asus#4 chord, but I guess it would depend on the context.
Quote by canvasDude
I would argue that it's an Asus#4 chord, but I guess it would depend on the context.

Well, with JUST this chord and this chord alone I think it'd be definitely an A5(#11) because sus chords DO need that context.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Well, with JUST this chord and this chord alone I think it'd be definitely an A5(#11) because sus chords DO need that context.

as opposed to other chords that don't need context?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
As opposed to a name that requires no context.

They all require context.

Anyway, I'm just giving you a hard time, I'm not actually looking for the semantics argument.

The truth is, that chord could be called either. I most often come across that particular voicing in a context were it resolves to an A chord.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
They all require context.

Anyway, I'm just giving you a hard time, I'm not actually looking for the semantics argument.

The truth is, that chord could be called either. I most often come across that particular voicing in a context were it resolves to an A chord.

Oh, I understood what you were doing, don't worry

And yeah, that's the main place I see it. Other than in some jazzy dissonant stuff where they like starting and ending on chords like that...