Page 1 of 2
It hit me just recently how controlled women's voices have to be in music. On a further scale of looking at it, let's take Ian Gillan from Deep Purple for instance (live), his voice may not be exactly controlled, he does plenty of free singing between those notes performed by John Lord and Richie Blackmore. Same with Rob Halford, Dio, and many other contributing male singers to the genre, it has been like that with live performances up to today with guttural vocals, yet I've noticed that female singers like Angela Gossow from Arch enemy could do that free style of singing in and between notes keeping the energy of the live performance pretty high.

But that is growling, I've been observing female vocalists such as Tarja Turrunen from Nightwish, Simone from Epica, or Liv Kristine from Theater of Tragedy, it's just the live performances are great, but you would never find the time where they would do something stunning with their voices, apart from the studio recording (Cheering on with the audience doesn't count), the last time something really blew my mind when listening to a female voice within Rock/Metal was the intro to FN The Great Gig in the Sky, and I am a frequent Pink Floyd listener, that intro always gives me chills down my spine. Another great example of a female vocalist would be Janis Joplin, but that's rock. I also listen to Doro, and I still find the lack in going beyond, it's just female vocalists, the majority leave a feeling of conservatism in their voices.

I'm not trying to leave a sexist impression, and in many ways, these female vocalists are forced to stay on note all the time and stick with how the song is supposed to be, leaving little excitement for ones self, and it's usually some crazy melancholic keyboardist that's preventing them from doing so, point is, that listening to female vocalists these days; sure they can sing, they might growl, they might even go for operatic, but eventually it's all going to get boring, and I see it's slowly happening to male vocalists, where they stick to (THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE) kinda thing.

I practice many vocal styles, my favorite would the banshee Falsetto technique performed by singers such as Ian Gillan, Rob Halford, or Robert Plant, I teach myself I never really had lessons, and when performing in a live show given that technique I would alter it to my own use and not let the books and music control me, such as would be hitting a high range during a solo and let it fluxsuate and grab a hold of the audience.
Last edited by Laprevraven at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Butt Rayge
I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here, so listen to this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TN7earYLig

I was focusing on Live shows, artists, could do pretty much what they want in studio, bottom line, live shows with female vocalists seem conserved, so conserved that they can't explore their potentials and that there is always something holding them back, and this discludes growling
I kind of get what you mean...but not really, haha. If you need some examples of women going nuts on the vocals, you could do a lot worse than to check out Diamanda Galas, Adorior, and Détente, just to name a few.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
I kind of get what you mean...but not really, haha. If you need some examples of women going nuts on the vocals, you could do a lot worse than to check out Diamanda Galas, Adorior, and Détente, just to name a few.

All good, it's hard for me to explain what i legitimately see, but I always noticed that no body really cares on how male singers in bands sings, it's all based on opinion, yet it's more criticized for women, it is always brought up on how a woman SHOULD SOUND it just kinda pisses me off.
I think it really has to do with metal being traditionally thought of as a Male genre. Women are eeking their way into prominence, but like any new adherent to an established mode of thinking they will have to prove themselves before being accepted. One of the ways they will have to do this is in technical proficiency. I am sure as women in metal begin to become more accepted you will see them starting to be able to act out more.
Quote by MoogleRancha

Controlled voice? All I see is cleavage

Calm down, beasts are only breasts, if guys can take their shirt off so can women, but that doesn't happen too often does it? Cleavage has nothing to do with talent, good sir, therefore you fail.
Quote by Laprevraven
Calm down, beasts are only breasts, if guys can take their shirt off so can women, but that doesn't happen too often does it? Cleavage has nothing to do with talent, good sir, therefore you fail.

I disagree, and with this offhand dismissal of boobs, I call you a homosexual.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Look, I could come up with something of my own to defend the breast while not saying anything in regard to the musical ability but quoting this is more than adequate.

Quote by dead-fish
Quote by dead-fish

No I just hate women, but I respect them more then men, therefore men are primitive in my world, and I wish women would be in more control of things some times.
Quote by Laprevraven
No I just hate women, but I respect them more then men, therefore men are primitive in my world, and I wish women would be in more control of things some times.

I think the album you're looking for is this:

Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by Stranglehold
I think the album you're looking for is this:

Ohh yeah that's got awesome vocals :P

Yeh, Melissa Gluz or whatever the hell her name is from the Agonist.
Epic Female Vocals.
The Agonist has a pretty technical guitarist and drummer, and her vocals range from absolutely heavenly (An A Cappella version of Swan lake, and she has great melodic chorouses) to absolute brutal death growling and screaming, screeches, BRUTAL INAUDIABLE NOISE, she does deeper growling than most guys in the metal genre.
She is also a bitch ass wildlife activist and protestor.
Awesome. She doesnt look too ugly either
METAL!
Um........... What about Astrid van der Veen?

Even at 13 years old, she has one of the best pro voices I've ever heard. Rubs elbows with the greats, especially in terms of originality. Listen to her...

Sweet Little Brother!
Ashes!
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at May 28, 2011,
I don't understand the point you are trying to make, but I think the best Female vocalist in a metal band would have to be Angela in Archenemy.

ron666
Quote by AllJudasPriest
Um........... What about Astrid van der Veen?

Even at 13 years old, she has one of the best pro voices I've ever heard. Rubs elbows with the greats, especially in terms of originality. Listen to her...

Sweet Little Brother!
Ashes!

Seems doable.
She in a band?
Youtube's not working for me.
Describe her voice to me...

EDIT POST:

I don't think she's metal.
Sorry, doesn't count, moving on now.
Looked her up, quoting facebook:

"Easy listening piano music".

And on that bombshell...

GOODNIGHT!

*Topgear Theme Music Plays*
METAL!
Last edited by Ultraussie at May 31, 2011,
To be honest, I only prefer female singers in metal when they're a pretty sight, like the aforementioned Simone Simmons. Before the feminists tear me apart: I do prefer women in pop music.
Before the feminists tear me apart: I do prefer women in pop music.

Nah mate, before the metalheads tear you apart....
Pop music sucks.

On an unrelated note, my mate is obsessed with ****ing beyonce.
I showed him a picture of Allisa White-Gluz (Agonist vocalist) and he cummed his pants.
Would you rather fudge a 50 year old chick or an acutal metalhead chick?
METAL!
To be honest, when it's about women I tend to go for the one I think is the most attractive and the most compatible with me.
I don't think I listen to a single band where there is a female vocalist. In any genre.
Power is a major defining feature of both the content and aesthetic of metal, and for the most part, female voices simply do not convey the same sense of power that male voices can communicate. Neither the biology nor the social conditioning of women are really conducive to producing great metal voices.
Quote by AzureNight
I don't think I listen to a single band where there is a female vocalist. In any genre.

Have you ever checked out the bands Mythic or Nuclear Death?
Quote by Dylar
Power is a major defining feature of both the content and aesthetic of metal, and for the most part, female voices simply do not convey the same sense of power that male voices can communicate. Neither the biology nor the social conditioning of women are really conducive to producing great metal voices.

Have you ever heard your mother nag at you?
Now that's power!

Nah in all seriousness though, chicks can have just as powerful voices as guys.
But then again, the ratio of girls listening to metal compared to guys isnt that high, to those to sing, to those who play instruments etc...
Typically, girls have a higher voice, but they can go as low as **** if they want to, with nice, brootal death growls. Clean vocals don't have to change really, alittle less poppy, alittle more "**** yeah epic" style, or alittle more "**** you mofo" agressiveness.
METAL!
Quote by Dylar

Yes, I agree with your point concerning power, but a lot of guys scream at really high pitches (like Axl Rose and Robert Plant) and so do the girls.

I guess it all really depends on what message the song intends to portray. Some messages that have to portray power will be best sung by a male, while other messages might be better portrayed by a female singer.

ron666
Quote by ron666
I don't understand the point you are trying to make, but I think the best Female vocalist in a metal band would have to be Angela in Archenemy.

ron666

Oh you.
Quote by AzureNight
Oh true, I forgot about Mythic - they are pretty good, but she also sings in a "male" style if you know what I mean. Haven't heard Nuclear Death though.

Still, that's a grand total of one female singer I've listened to and enjoyed. Not exactly a large number.

I've no idea if Quebec is anywhere near where you're from, but Cauchemar hail from there...killer female-fronted heavy metal, Pagan Altar worship!
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Female's in metal are often used as sex objects, therefore ruining the music because the guys in the band will be wearing all their metal shit and then WTF, random girl in a satin cinderella dress or tiara (In this Moment, anyone?).
Ruins it. People obviously dont dress like that.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Female's in metal are often used as sex objects, therefore ruining the music because the guys in the band will be wearing all their metal shit and then WTF, random girl in a satin cinderella dress or tiara (In this Moment, anyone?).
Ruins it. People obviously dont dress like that.

Bolt Thrower, bitch.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Right, is there anything in his post that would pertain to exclusively female-fronted bands? Don't think so.

But anyway, Christian Mistress, Ice Age, Original Sin.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
How ****ing big is her mouth?
Screw it, I'd rather have female singers be sex objects after I've seen this.
She deserves to have that collar attached by a 10 meter chain to a pickup truck then have the pickup truck drive very quickyly along a dirt road. In the woods.
METAL!
Page 1 of 2