Short and sweet, my Carvin has nowhere near the sustain my understanding is it should. Yes it has a bolt-on neck, but it also has a hardtail, humbuckers, and a heavier body, yet my stratocaster can hold a note much longer. I got this new, while the strat was used, so I'm thinking there's something that was done to improve the sustain I could do to this thing?

And since I can see it coming since I ask about it when people ask about this, the action isn't set super-low - I like it a little high, both for the feel, and so I can play slide without sounding awful if I want.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
take a picture of it so I can see the string length.

I had this problem with my jazzmaster so I got a buzzstop. improved a lot.
Quote by X&Y
take a picture of it so I can see the string length.

I had this problem with my jazzmaster so I got a buzzstop. improved a lot.

A bit busy at the moment, but will-do tonight.

Quote by Pac_man0123
How's the setup? My RG2120X needs a truss rod adjustment because there's a bit too much relief, and it doesn't sustain very well.

Fairly good. Action's on the low side, but I had it ratcheted up a little, as I don't like super-low action. That said, it could probably go up a little more, though I mainly use my tele for slide, so I'd like to keep from going too high. Intonation I believe is pretty much spot-on, though it's been a little while since I had it checked.

Quote by Delboyuk_01
How close are the pickups to the strings? You could try lowering them if they're too close.

I actually lowered them for tonal reasons a little while back. It helped, but it's still a problem.

Quote by Beauty/Broken

play with the pickup hight. having them either too high or too low will cause you to get really poor sustain. just adjust them in small increments. you mentioned that you've already lowered them, which leads me to suspect that you now have them too low
Quote by krehzeekid
play with the pickup hight. having them either too high or too low will cause you to get really poor sustain. just adjust them in small increments. you mentioned that you've already lowered them, which leads me to suspect that you now have them too low

I was unaware that lowering them too much could be a problem, so that may effect it. It still had this problem before. That said, being too high also effects it, so that may have been it. Will play with it later tonight.

Messed with raising the pickups, no luck. Also got those pictures of the action, at frets 3, 12, and 21. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a ruler, so I had to improvise something we all know the size of to show the relative spacing instead. Will try to find one, and if I can, retake the pictures.

dude, your truss rod needs to be adjusted, your neck is bowed backwards so you're fretting out
Quote by TheAbsentOne
You don't call that low action?

Disturbingly enough, it was a lot lower when I got it. It's worked fine, so I haven't bothered to raise it since. If that may be the cause of it though, I'll have it raised at a shop next week.

Quote by krehzeekid
dude, your truss rod needs to be adjusted, your neck is bowed backwards so you're fretting out

This is one thing I've never understood with the setup. Is the neck supposed to be going inward so it's slanted up at the center, out so it's like a valley, or is it supposed to be dead flat? I always hear different terms that're all ambiguous, so I've never known what it's supposed to be.

The problem here isn't your string height and what not, it's your saddles and nut. Those are the two pivot points by which the strings derives it's pitch by length. Everything else is immaterial to the actual wave that reverberates through the string.

Maybe your nut is loose and it's letting a lot of motion around in there, causing you to lose sustain. Otherwise, maybe it's your bridge? Can I get pics of each?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
The problem here isn't your string height and what not, it's your saddles and nut. Those are the two pivot points by which the strings derives it's pitch by length. Everything else is immaterial to the actual wave that reverberates through the string.

Maybe your nut is loose and it's letting a lot of motion around in there, causing you to lose sustain. Otherwise, maybe it's your bridge? Can I get pics of each?

Uploading the photos now, will edit them in once photobucket finishes. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the nute, as I've used .11's as long as I've owned this thing, and as I sent in a specific set of strings, Carvin cut the nut to fit them, but it may be the saddles. Both are graphite if that makes any difference.

Edit: I'm aware the photo quality, especially the nut, is fairly low, but I don't have access to anything more than a camera phone at the moment. Will try to get some with a DSLR later.

Above the nut

In front of the nut

Behind the nut

Above the bridge

Side of the bridge

Last edited by necrosis1193 at May 25, 2011,
I don't want to be "that guy", but it could be you just do not have very resonant wood in your Carvin, or you could have really resonant wood in you Stratocaster
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
I don't want to be "that guy", but it could be you just do not have very resonant wood in your Carvin, or you could have really resonant wood in you Stratocaster

As it sustains just as long acoustically, I don't think that's it.

What material are those saddles? I bought graphtech saddles for my Strat one time, and they destroyed my sustain.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by necrosis1193
As it sustains just as long acoustically, I don't think that's it.

Well, that's a good sign, then. What do we know is not the problem? You've said you've played with pickup height, it might be the nut/saddles, the bridge is hardtail (top loader or string thru?), it's made of heavier wood and acoustically, it has roughly the same amount of sustain as the stratocaster. But this makes me think that the problem is with the electronics because both guitars have the same sustain acoustically, but not amplified. Okay, so then besides that we have the pickups themselves. Humbuckers, but how are they mounted? Mounting directly to the body can increase sustain.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by JustRooster
What material are those saddles? I bought graphtech saddles for my Strat one time, and they destroyed my sustain.

That could well be it then - They're Graphtech.

Quote by kangaxxter
Well, that's a good sign, then. What do we know is not the problem? You've said you've played with pickup height, it might be the nut/saddles, the bridge is hardtail (top loader or string thru?), it's made of heavier wood and acoustically, it has roughly the same amount of sustain as the stratocaster. But this makes me think that the problem is with the electronics because both guitars have the same sustain acoustically, but not amplified. Okay, so then besides that we have the pickups themselves. Humbuckers, but how are they mounted? Mounting directly to the body can increase sustain.

String-thru, and I'd agree it's probably an electronics problem, but I'm not really sure, though it's looking now like it may be the saddles. And they're direct-mounted already.

Alright, just to see if we can cross any electronics issues off before buying the saddles, I took the control plate off and took a bunch of photos of the guitar's innards. Here's the gallery, can someone who understands the nitty-gritty about the wiring look it over for anything that may inhibit the sustain?

Also, could it be my amp? I've been meaning to replace it for a bit, but I'm not sure if it's contributing to the sustain, or if it's just an output source in regards to note length?

Shell out the 40 bucks and have it set up really well by someone experienced, it makes a huge difference. action(string height)/intonation(string length)/truss rod, and they should clean it up.