can somebody please tell me:
if a gibson SG, Les Paul, firebird, flying V and explorer standards
had the same pickups and were played through the same amp, what would be the difference in sound?
The LP would be thicker sounding, the Explorer would be shredding sounding, the SG would sound crunchy and the Flying V would SCREAM IN YOUR FACE WITH METAL !!!!!!!
They have their own characteristics, which are simply not easy to explain. Lord_Doku gave it a good try though.
Tell me who's that writin'...
check out the wood's and weight
then research the effect they have on sound

that'd be the best way to understand it... other than actually going in and testing them
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
The biggest difference would be between the Les Paul and the other ones, since the LP has a maple top.
as far as telling you in objective terms what the difference would be, it's pretty hard.

however, there is a difference in the natural tones of all the gibson models, as a result of different construction (the les paul has a maple top, firebird is neck-thru, etc), different shapes (single cut, double-cut, offset body etc - this affects the way the vibrations travel through the wood and influence the string vibrations), etc etc.

there are a lot of factors that are difficult to explain, but there definitely is a difference.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I tried that once - going to Guitar Center and running them all through one amp - and found that yes, the Les Paul sounded a bit more dimensional and defined with more low end, the SG sounded messier and wilder with more high-mids and highs, and the V and Explorer were fairly even response-wise.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I just spent 5 mins trying to rack my brain for the most appropriate adjectives to describe the tonal differences between the LP and the SG. Having vomited out a few vacuous descriptions that probably won't mean anything to you I deleted all and thought, this guy should just watch some videos.

See if on youtube you can find someone playing with the same setup each of the guitars you want to compare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YVB_6SBjBA

maybe something like that
All the same pick-ups played with the same setting on the guitar and the amp...you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The tone woods make a slight difference, but it is not THAT pronounced.. I'd wager 7 outta 10 players wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind listening test.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by Lord_Doku
The LP would be thicker sounding, the Explorer would be shredding sounding, the SG would sound crunchy and the Flying V would SCREAM IN YOUR FACE WITH METAL !!!!!!!

A fine example of someone that has never touched a Gibson guitar in their life. Yes they would sound different because of different construction and overall body mass.Even 2 of the exact same guitar will sound different.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Lord_Doku

Yes, because that's exactly what they had in mind when they released the V and Explorer back in the 50's...genres that hadn't been invented yet.

SG's tend to sound a bit raunchier and less refined than Les Pauls, also tonally they're less rounded as they lack the maple cap.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
put it this way..... no two guitars will ever sound exactly the same.....because no two guitars are made with the same piece of wood.
Well, they use the same woods (mostly) and hardware. The main difference would be mass, and the les paul's maple top.

There would be a difference in sound, but I think it would be fairly subtle.
i have three somewhat matching sets of gibsons. 2 LP's, 2 SG's, and 2x 1980 Sonex's.

the LP's are more refined and fat and have a little more sustain than the SG's, while the SG's are a little almost twangier acoustically, but nastier than the LP's amplified and seem to be more dominent in the mid high -mid range. the Sonex's are obviuosly out of production, but they are 100% identical, same color, and manufactured less than a month apart according to serials. the sonex's are a whole different animal and i cannot explain them at all, and they also sound totally different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have three somewhat matching sets of gibsons. 2 LP's, 2 SG's, and 2x 1980 Sonex's.

the LP's are more refined and fat and have a little more sustain than the SG's, while the SG's are a little almost twangier acoustically, but nastier than the LP's amplified and seem to be more dominent in the mid high -mid range. the Sonex's are obviuosly out of production, but they are 100% identical, same color, and manufactured less than a month apart according to serials. the sonex's are a whole different animal and i cannot explain them at all, and they also sound totally different.

this is the only accurate description of an SG sound i've read on UG for a long time.

for some reason people always seem to assume that angus young's tone is a typical SG tone - it really isn't. it's a typical vintage marshall crunch tone, where certain nuances of the guitar's tone are being covered up by the very strong characteristics of the amp - although you can still hear certain distinct SG character in his tone, i think people mistake a lot of the amp's sound for how the guitar sounds.

SGs are very mid-rangey guitars, and those raunchy high frequencies are actually high mids, and that's where that aggressive biting tone comes from - it's not treble. SGs only have very a subtle shimmer in the treble register that you can only really hear on bright clean settings, and the bass is much more of a foundation than a distinct feature of the sound - it's mostly mids.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.