I realised the other day that in the 6 years or so that I've been playing on and off I've learned around 10 songs.
I mean I haven't ever played with a band or with other guitarists or had a lesson in about 3 years but I still thought I'd have done better. I know riffs from a few songs that I started learning but never finished.
At the end of last year I bought a delay pedal to try and reinvigorate my interest, but uni kicked it away again for a while.
The other day I did ask a friend for some songs to learn though, so I've started on tool's lateralus which sounds fine enough. Sort of branching away from heavy metal now, since that also seems to have been quite limiting.

Still, it's kind of hard to find the motivation to do it.

Sort of a rant here I guess, but how do you guys deal with trying to get better when you don't feel like there's any point?
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
I used to start and start all the time, and it seemed every time I restarted I'd forget part of my technique, songs and so on next time you lose motivation still atsleast pick it up once a day.
That really helped me keep motivated.

EDIT: and when you finish a song or get bored with it, get another song to try and learn.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 24, 2011,
I guess my lack of actual music doesn't really help either. I don't download music if i can help it but nor do I buy it, so sucks to get new influences.

edit - any suggestions on how I could get ideas on songs to learn? Like, go to a music shop and buy random cd's or something? I'm not sure how shit like that works anymore, I haven't bought a CD since eiffel 65 were popular when I was like, 8.

edit 2 - wait, not a cd. it was a tape. fukken cassettes were still popular back then.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Last edited by 8footsativaist at May 24, 2011,
i think that there's a difference between wanting to 'get' better and wanting to 'be' better - that whole "i wish i was better without having to put the work in" thing. i think the best way to do it is to set goals - nail this song or this technique, and then achieve them and set more goals.

it really comes down to knowing where you want to take your playing, and why you want to take it there, and your willingness to put the effort in.

i dont know, 'meditate' on it for a while. do you want to get better? do you think that it will be worth the effort when you get where you're wanting to go?

not sure if it will work for you, but it works for me, so good luck either way!
I'd absolutely love to get better, but I just can't seem to find the motivation to do so.
I mean if I had performances to look forward to like I did during school, I'd try learning new stuff. Last one I did 8footsativa's 'we the termites' (minus the solo, I can't solo for shit) and the pirates of the Caribbean theme song.

I guess I'll have to make a point of practicing after exams are over in a few weeks and seeing if the motivation to look super awesome and cool comes back. (plus I really want to work some songs out on guitar but got frustrated at not being able to, I think if I practice up that should eventually come too)
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
You could try some guitar magazines. In the UK we have a monthly mag called 'Guitar Techniques' which has loads of cool stuff to play and backing tracks etc. You learn lots of stuff which you probably wouldn't otherwise.
Another thing would be get in a band. Nothing more fun than rocking out with a group of friends!
You know, in all honesty, it really comes down to whether or not you want to be able to play what you hear in your head.

What has worked for me, so far, is keeping a journal of what I've done. Looking back on the first one tends to inspire me to continue, and as it stands, I've improved in spades. When I'm ready, I'm planning on changing the style of journal to a page by page chronicle of a good fake book.

But really, it's all you. Do you want to play guitar like you do when you're dreaming, or are you content to just dream it?
Hey if you can I'd download spotify and branch out your musical output like I got bored of guitar a few years ago but then I really got into song writers mainly Dylan, Springsteen Cash etc and the guitar work on their albums especially by al the session guys is immense it's not flashy but more difficult to do properly than 5 finger tapping etc

This reinvigorated me a little I stopped seeing myself as a guitarist but a songwriter that uses guitar as a tool, In saying that I have got back into riffing again I go between both personalities in my band which gives us better song writing I guess

So yeah find influences use spotify you can get a free account with 20 hours free a month and just listen to other folks playlists and you'll find something that you dig.

Thats all I can suggest
1972 Telecaster Custom (My Baby)
Just listen to your favorite band of something and then the first song you want to learn, learn it.

And you should want to get better, but if all you do is practicing it becomes more like work than something fun. And since your problem is staying interested, I'd say first priority is to make guitar a habit for you. By playing your favorite song and having a lot of fun with it.

What I mean by that is I've looked down more then a couple of time and wondered when the hell I picked up my guitar, I just can't help but play it.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at May 24, 2011,
alright, I'll keep these ideas in mind.
Thanks very much guys, I'll let you know how I get on.
Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez RG 320 FM
ESP LTD AX-50
Boss MT-2
Boss CH-1
Belcat Delay
Digitech Jamman Solo
Maybe you should find some other to jam with. Not necessarily guitar players but drummers and bass players too.
Quote by 8footsativaist
edit 2 - wait, not a cd. it was a tape. fukken cassettes were still popular back then.

Wow NZ must be behind the times! Is the internet relatively new there too?

It's good you've realised you should learn songs. Now learn songs. You could pick up one of those cheap compilation CDs of pub songs and learn them all. You could start learning some open chord songs and plug through them.

If broadband internet is available in the NZ yet you could learn from youtube videos of the songs too, I do, and have for many years. It's understandable though if your internet consists of little more than a couple of cups with strings between them...it must have taken you a day to morse code out that message above. Props!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Das Turnip
You could try some guitar magazines. In the UK we have a monthly mag called 'Guitar Techniques' which has loads of cool stuff to play and backing tracks etc. You learn lots of stuff which you probably wouldn't otherwise.
Another thing would be get in a band. Nothing more fun than rocking out with a group of friends!

"Guitar Techniques" is an excellent magazine, perhaps the best one extant at the moment in the genres it primarily represents.

Highly recommended.
Yes, you are retarded at guitar.

^thats supposed to be a joke.

If you arent interested in a band setting, or writing your own music, then its fine that you are learning songs, at a slow pace. Dont say you suck, when your unmotivated, just play and learn when and what you want. also where. learn where you want, like if you want to learn in walmart, then learn in walmart.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by 8footsativaist
I realised the other day that in the 6 years or so that I've been playing on and off I've learned around 10 songs.
I mean I haven't ever played with a band or with other guitarists or had a lesson in about 3 years but I still thought I'd have done better. I know riffs from a few songs that I started learning but never finished.
At the end of last year I bought a delay pedal to try and reinvigorate my interest, but uni kicked it away again for a while.
The other day I did ask a friend for some songs to learn though, so I've started on tool's lateralus which sounds fine enough. Sort of branching away from heavy metal now, since that also seems to have been quite limiting.

Sort of a rant here I guess, but how do you guys deal with trying to get better when you don't feel like there's any point?

Well, if the issue as that you've played 3 years and only know "around" 10 songs, why not just learn some more songs? Also you complained that you know just "parts" and haven't finished alot of those songs....... so now pick one you like, and learn the whole thing.....then play the shit out of it & enjoy it.
shred is gaudy music
Listen to more music - if you find more songs you'd like to play, logically you'll want to pick up the guitar again.
Try to broaden your musical repertoire - sticking with heavy metal will get boring quick, but then so will strictly playing jazz, blues, classical or what-have-you.

Also, instead of learning one or two parts per song and saying "fudge it", try playing the entire thing.
If you're into improvising, try downloading the backing track for a song you like and noodling around over it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Listen to new kinds of music.
If you have trouble remembering long songs, pick some simpler songs (like most of the Offspring) that aren't difficult, but have parts that repeat. Play along with the original song, and then without it, on your own, without skipping anything. You'll learn a full song, and that'll motivate you to learn more.
Btw, thread title made me lol
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by 8footsativaist

I wouldn't say you're retarded at guitar, you just seem to be ambivalent about it. Unless you have some driving desire, just do it casually, but use it in a way that you enjoy. Who cares if its limiting, you'll get what you put into it, and if the motivation isn't strong enough to learn more or work at it much, then it is what it is.

Just enjoy it when you do play. I always tell my students that when the discomfort of not having something exceeds the inconvenience of the work that is required to get that thing, that's when someone will do something about it.

Good luck,

Sean
My expierence is that learning from tabs is like the most annoying thing ever.
That's why I hopped over on my ears, an important part of the guitar is your ears.
I'm going to sig that sentence hihi.
But the thing with tabs is that you need to go over it more then one time, with ears it's mostly instant memory.
Quote by liampje
My expierence is that learning from tabs is like the most annoying thing ever.
That's why I hopped over on my ears, an important part of the guitar is your ears.
I'm going to sig that sentence hihi.
But the thing with tabs is that you need to go over it more then one time, with ears it's mostly instant memory.

Well at 1st people don't usually have the ability to learn by ear. In that case learn it however you can.... tabs are fine. The key is to listen and memorize the song. don't rely on the tab. If you listen, your ears will develop over time, and you'll be more and more able to pick things about by ear.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 24, 2011,
As far as I know, there is really a gene in your body that says you're gonna suck. If you don't like where you're at then play more. If you don't wanna play more, then be happy with where you're at. it's really that simple.
i don't know why i feel so dry
About 1 and a half months ago I was nearly in the EXACT same position as you. I had played for about 4 or 5 years and I sat their and thought "I can not do ANYTHING on guitar, i suck. What's the point". I played on and off for that 4 or 5 year period.

The way I got round it was I started to not worry about "getting better" I thought to myself "Why do I want to be better? I don't play guitar to be amazing, I play it to have fun making music and learning music".... so that is how I Overcame it.. I just played for fun, I just learnt songs that I love and I played along to them for fun. By having fun you will play for Hours on end every day and eventually your technique will naturally improve, and then at that point you will have fun learning new techniques and gaining speed etc..

ALSO, another point to make... If you think your crap, go find someone who cant play guitar (a family member or friend) and show them yourself playing guitar, they are likely to be impressed and praise you for your skill... The problem arrises because you probably (maybe sub consiencly) compare yourself to the best players in the world (Van Halen, Brian May, gary moore) and in comparison to them you probably feel useles....
Great thoughts Darren...I find that examining one's motivations and needs in playing can be a very cathartic thing. Many players will discover things that were provoking harmful results, and once they realize the "trap" they can free themselves from it, and then they really are renewed when approaching their craft, their love of music and what makes THEM happy when they play!

Best,

Sean