I have been advised that building my own cable will lead to a longer lasting, higher quality cable at a better price. Alot of my favourite artists use planet waves so how would they compare.
oh ill be playing metal with an ibanez s470 through a 333xl if that makes a difference.
Is this true and if so where do i start and how do i go about doing it. Im based in UK if that affects equipment, supplies ect,
thanks in advance
The main difference I see between my cables and Planet Waves: Mine are made in Canada by someone I know and trust, me.
Planet Waves are hard and sometimes impossible to fix when they break. Their molded plastic 1/4" male connectors cannot be opened, unless I'm missing something. Majority of (my)cable breaks are in the connector. It's a very simple repair, just desolder the old solder on the terminal and solder your cable back on.

As for supplies in the UK, I am at a loss for answers.
I do know I can get speaker cable for 50 cents/foot so I'd imagine balanced instrument cable is a bit more or a bit less in price. I do buy wholesale though.

Don't buy from a guitar store or anywhere of the like. Get it from an electronics shop. It will most likely be cheaper.

By the way, just because someone else endorses it, doesn't mean it's good.

--timbit
..I was watching my death.
Cables are cheap and plentiful. I'm not sure why you would want to make your own other than just for fun. Try making some out of shielded cat5 network cable.
Quote by samhell
Cables are cheap and plentiful. I'm not sure why you would want to make your own other than just for fun. Try making some out of shielded cat5 network cable.

I cannot disagree more.
You can make good quality cables much cheaper than a pre-made cable that you'd buy at a guitar store.
I made a 50 foot speaker cable for 30 dollars and it works great. Try finding a 50 foot speaker cable at a store for that much.... You can't. You may be able to find one that is lower quality for that price, but I doubt it. This example is with speaker cable but it pertains to instrument cable as well.

I can see making your own cable rather than buying it as a problem if the cable maker sucks at making cables.
Quote by timbit2006
I cannot disagree more.
You can make good quality cables much cheaper than a pre-made cable that you'd buy at a guitar store.
I made a 50 foot speaker cable for 30 dollars and it works great. Try finding a 50 foot speaker cable at a store for that much.... You can't. You may be able to find one that is lower quality for that price, but I doubt it. This example is with speaker cable but it pertains to instrument cable as well.

I can see making your own cable rather than buying it as a problem if the cable maker sucks at making cables.

ok so it can be done and better given the cable maker does a good job.

could you run through what i would need (soldering iron ect), type of cable, and a quick how to do it properly.
alternativly a link to a site explaining all of it thouroughly would suffice
thanks man
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by timbit2006
I cannot disagree more.

Yeah but given his description it sounds like he's just using it to plug a guitar into an amp... I don't see the point in that. With his equipment do you really think he'd see an increase in sound quality? I don't.... And I am a major DIY freak. I build and mod damn near everything myself (effects, guitars, amps, etc). Cables I don't waste my time with unless I need a custom length or something.
Quote by stig354
ok so it can be done and better given the cable maker does a good job.

could you run through what i would need (soldering iron ect), type of cable, and a quick how to do it properly.
alternativly a link to a site explaining all of it thouroughly would suffice
thanks man

Yeah, go to the essentials thread at the top of the gear building forum and theres a cable making guide in there.

edit: Heres the link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730505

Yeah but given his description it sounds like he's just using it to plug a guitar into an amp... I don't see the point in that. With his equipment do you really think he'd see an increase in sound quality? I don't.... And I am a major DIY freak. I build and mod damn near everything myself (effects, guitars, amps, etc). Cables I don't waste my time with unless I need a custom length or something.

Its because its much much cheaper than buying them, the mark up on cables is ridiculous. So it might not be easier or quicker but its way cheaper and not everyone can afford 50 bucks a cable.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Last edited by grungebaby at May 25, 2011,
Quote by grungebaby
Its because its much much cheaper than buying them, the mark up on cables is ridiculous. So it might not be easier or quicker but its way cheaper and not everyone can afford 50 bucks a cable.

50 bucks? I grabbed a handful of Hosa 10' cables from a local place for like 5 bucks a piece. Unless you mean your longer length cable, which I suppose I can't argue with...
when it comes to making your own cables, i think it's a better option just because it gives you an easier ability to do repairs if something breaks..you put it together so you know what's up

tube depot has some good videos on their youtube channel.. this one shows an instrument cable, and this one's a speaker cable tutorial
Thanks guys, ill try it out over the next week or so, if all goes well ill upload some picks.
Cheers again for the help
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by stig354
Thanks guys, ill try it out over the next week or so, if all goes well ill upload some picks.
Cheers again for the help

Free E-Picks? My favorite!

If you're making cables, there's one thing that will save you a lot of frustration.
Buy a third hand. It may feel wierd at first but eventually you'll get used to it.
Found Here

Good luck!