Page 1 of 2
Other the four years (jeez, that long?!) that I've dabbled in and out of the pit, I've seen a plethora of different people, different personalities, different outlooks on life. But the single most recurring personality trait that I seem to see in the pit are 'social recluses' and people who claim to hate social situations.

So my question for you pit dwellers: Are you comfortable with who you are, be it what lifestyle you lead, what other people may or may not think of you, how confident you are in your abilities both in your hobbies and your social endeavours?

"But what about you, oh thoughtful will123456789, are you confident in yourself?!" I hear you ask. Well, yes and no. I am in a kind of transition zone. I'm confident in certain aspects, such as making people laugh and what not, but I don't really have any decent hobbies at the moment, or any goals I'm in pursuit of. I've just finished my first year of uni, and this summer is going to be a game changer for me.

More importantly though UG, what about you?!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

same as you.

edit: apart from the fact that i have my dreams pretty much set; i want to be a doctor and i want to make solo albums on the side.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Yeah I am confident in my abilities, I'll do anything I put my mind to and I love social situations...... maybe I'm weird for the pit.......
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
No poll?
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
I am not a social recluse. And I can guarantee that the vast majority of the pit is not a social recluse either, much like the vast majority of the pit seems to think they're an intellectual.

I'm comfortable in myself, yes, but I always feel there's room for improvement. My confidence isn't always what it could be, but it's getting better and I'm trying to overcome it. If there's something about me that I feel needs changing, I'll try and change it.

Quote by PotBellyShogun
oh god, here we go with another ****ing self-pity thread

take it to the hugging shit

And your threads are so darned fascinating.
What crawled up your arse today?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by PotBellyShogun

this thread is better than all of your pathetic attempts at gaining approval

i would normally not make you feel like shit, but your hypocrisy is astounding, i could actually pass this as sarcasm
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by PotBellyShogun

Well, I personally.... *clears throat* FUC K Bitches, Get Money.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I have fairly bad anxiety and in social situation I freeze up and I just can barely say anything. My ability to hold a conversation is awful. Although since I've gotten a job where I have to be friendly to people non-stop, I've gotten a lot better. Still a lot of awkward silences though.

My confidence is... I don't know. Sometimes I feel I'm above, sometimes I feel I'm below. Most of the time I don't have much confidence. My answers to things are usually along the line so "I guess.." or "I'll try..." but depending on the situation I might be like "hell yeah I can do this." but that's rare.

edit:
I seemed to have missed the point a little.

As for being comfortable with who I am and where I'm heading, no. At least not the last part. I'm not confident at all about the future, I have no idea what I'm going to. But I am who I am, and I don't want to be anybody else. I just wish life was a bit easier and I was into more things, then maybe I'd have a grasp on where I'm going.
Last edited by Ignite at May 24, 2011,
I am. I just accept the fact that I don't like going to parties or going out or whatever. Quite happy to just chill in my room and do music stuff.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
To be completely honest, yes i am confident and comfortable with myself. There comes a time in a man's life when he realizes that the vast majority of the world's opinion is entirely irrelevant to him and that the only people he should bother listening to or taking advice from are the people he loves and cares about. Considering that those people in my life don't really have anything negative to say about me (and they would tell me to my face if there was a problem), then i can rest easy in my confidence and comfort in personality. I'm not the best looking person, but i know how to feel good. And feeling good is 90% of confidence.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I have always been confident in my ability, whether it be in a sporting, academic or social context. I have the best friends (albeit they are in a different country now) and family one could ever ask for. I had some pretty rough patches growing up but only in a medical sense, I've always had the most loving support from those around me and I've always been well aware how incredibly lucky I am.
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Yes, yes I am!
There are a lot of youngsters on here, but it is the best part of getting older.
I think it ebbs and flows for everyone depending on what's happening to them currently.

Personally, i'm always comfortable in myself, which began when i was 16 when i started learning guitar. I believe i can do anything i want, primarily because i've shown myself that i'm capable of that.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I don't like going to friend's houses or whatever. Or like going out with friends. I'm much more content to chill all alone.
Quote by PotBellyShogun

You're just butthurt from all the times you *****d yourself out to "Submit Thread" button.

On topic: Yes, I feel confident in myself and my abilities.
I'm only confident in 3 things, everything else about me, I hate, and that tends to make me very antisocial, I hate meeting people I don't know
I think I said it before, I think I have avoidant personality disorder, but I've started trying to get rid of it. Whenever I'm around people, especially if I'm talking to them, I analyze literally everything I say/do and how I'm being perceived by everyone around me. I also have all the other symptoms on wikipedia but anyway it sucks; I'm 21 and I've never had a job, I lie to get out of going places and doing things with most of my friends, etc. In addition to that I have an even harder time talking to girls and I think naked women and the idea of sex are disgusting, so that's probably a problem as well (not AvPD though) lol. Anyway it's not like I can just man up or anything, it's as natural to me as breathing. As of yesterday though I think I found a thought process that allows me to not be self-critical of my actions. I haven't had a chance to try it when dealing with other people so I'm not sure yet. I'm also not sure if that makes sense lol, I've never really read about psychology or anything so I'm no expert on that.
sunbather is shit
I like being alone because I suck at conversations with people I don't know too well, but if I get comfortable around the people I'm with I tend to go overboards and get annoying. I'm also happy with my lifestyle.
Quote by PotBellyShogun

Shut up you annoying ass.

And i'm very social. I love to talk to new people and i like making friends. I'm very confident in everything I do, not cocky, but confident.
I'm confident in myself. Not really sure what else to say with regards to this....

EDIT: With regards to the future and where I am going, I honestly have no idea what the future holds. But I like this; it makes things exciting. It would be awful to have things mapped out for you by the age of 21!

All I know is later I am going to pick fruit on the east of Australia with a couple of mates, and I am going to do some organic farming in Italy some time next year.

Just need to work my socks off and get some serious cash behind me first!
Last edited by fender_696 at May 24, 2011,
Yes, very much so. I value confidence and self-respect pretty highly and think that it's imperative to a healthy/successful person
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm confident because I feel I need to be. Shyness and self depreciation are things that 1) irritate me in other people (excessive amounts of them) and 2) they really don't get you anywhere. Wherever you are in life, people look for confident people, so yeah, I'm confident. Whether I actually believe in myself...not really, from an objective POV. I don't believe I'm good at many things, but I sell myself as such
Not really. I only have myself to blame however.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
My confidence is designed by my apathy. I am confident in the sense that other people's perceptions of me doesn't matter, but not confident in my abilities.
I'm moderately socially awkward, but I'm fine with that because I don't feel like I need a huge group of friends to be happy. Absolutely shit all ideas as to my future, but I have a job now (albeit one that a monkey could do) and I'm doing okay at school, so the future's probably not too bleak.

Life is fine, thanks
In a way yes.

I don't get as much appreciation from others as I'd like though, if you know what I mean.
Yarp. I have a high self esteem and am fairly confident in most situations. I'm a very sociable person and have lots of really great friends. I'm pretty lucky I guess.
I think alot of the things highlighted here by many people could be solved (i use that loosely and figuratively) if some of you just tried doing something that would generally make you uncomfortable. I know it's a leap, but the empowerment gained from even trying is enough to give you a real boost in every possible way. The leap is more important that the success/failure it brings
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I think alot of the things highlighted here by many people could be solved (i use that loosely and figuratively) if some of you just tried doing something that would generally make you uncomfortable. I know it's a leap, but the empowerment gained from even trying is enough to give you a real boost in every possible way. The leap is more important that the success/failure it brings

This may not be relevant, but it's really hard to like yourself if others don't.
Quote by Ahteh
This may not be relevant, but it's really hard to like yourself if others don't.

I often think it's the other way round, if you don't like yourself, how can others? I know that's backwards to the normal thought, and most will disagree, but that's what i personally feel. Not that i'm saying it is your fault if you dont like yourself -

If you dont like yourself, just got to ask why? And what will make you like yourself? Do whatever makes you happy, life gets much better that way
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I often think it's the other way round, if you don't like yourself, how can others? I know that's backwards to the normal thought, and most will disagree, but that's what i personally feel. Not that i'm saying it is your fault if you dont like yourself -

If you dont like yourself, just got to ask why? And what will make you like yourself? Do whatever makes you happy, life gets much better that way

Well, and by the way I've not saying this applies to me although I have had similar experiences, not getting accepted even though you see yourself as capable can be very tough. It kinda forces you to ask yourself why it's happening.

Now I sound like a downer though, you're indeed right in that accepting and appreciating yourself is the first step in becoming a happier/better person.

Was that a clear enough answer? >_>

I wouldn't class myself as a total social recluse, I have no problem going out with people and can maintain a decent conversation, but when it comes to being comfortable and confident with myself...no.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Ahteh
Well, and by the way I've not saying this applies to me although I have had similar experiences, not getting accepted even though you see yourself as capable can be very tough. It kinda forces you to ask yourself why it's happening.

Now I sound like a downer though, you're indeed right in that accepting and appreciating yourself is the first step in becoming a happier/better person.

Yeh i've had the same, i think sometimes it isn't actually a problem with you - but them.

I mean people can take a dislike of you for no particular reason, and then with that just push you away constantly, makes you feel worthless - when it's someone else's insecurity that is destroying you -.-

Well sometimes it's all you got i suppose
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I'm confident because I feel I need to be. Shyness and self depreciation are things that 1) irritate me in other people (excessive amounts of them) and 2) they really don't get you anywhere. Wherever you are in life, people look for confident people, so yeah, I'm confident. Whether I actually believe in myself...not really, from an objective POV. I don't believe I'm good at many things, but I sell myself as such

I'm pretty much the exact opposite of you. I feel there's a certain need to lay of the appearance of confidence. 1) I don't think that the best thing for somebody who doesn't feel confident in themselves is knowing people are irritated by it - if anything, it will drain their confidence further and result in a downward spiral. 2) I disagree, people who are over-confident to the point of being an arrogant extroverted show-off are generally looked down upon, and reclusive people who maybe lack confidence are often perceived as being smart, trustworthy, etc (obviously this doesn't go for all situations, nobody will want to get shit-faced with the quiet kid).
Objectively, I know I'm very good at a few things and I know my weaknesses. If in a situation where I have to sell myself, I'll tend not to use confidence to built up some fancy bull about good I am but instead show my achievements and things that show objectively that I am good at things - it often works, people will choose proof over confidence.
Page 1 of 2