Hey,

Pretty much I haven't got the time, money or strings to try out everything, so I'm asking for some opinions.

At the moment my favourite sounding guitar through my rig is my Les Paul Studio, mahogany set-neck, rosewood board, which has what I would believe to be a Gibson 498T humbucker in the bridge. This sounds very open and toppy/trebly which compliments the setup.

However in my ESP Viper, mahogany neck-thru, ebony board, I have a Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge. I know this is used by alot of artists and is pretty standard choice, but it is VERY rounded and lacking in highs for me, it makes my pick attack useless. I have to get the treble right up and lower the bass on my amp alot for it to still sound muddy in comparison to the Les Paul. However the guitar does sound bassier unplugged compared to the Les Paul too.

The Viper used to have EMGs in it, and so has accomodation for a battery..

My question to you is.. what pickups would you suggest me?

Any pickups which are like the ones in my Les Paul?

Thanks
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
wait... you have a JB and you think there isn't enough treble??? I took mine out of my les paul years ago because it was way too bright.

I'm not really sure if you want PAF-style pickups. If you don't think the JB is bright enough, you're probably not going to like a PAF-style pickup. They are bright, but have a soft and rounded pick attack.
Last edited by al112987 at May 24, 2011,
I know, I know, I was under the impression it was mean't to be very bright and aggressive, but its just so rounded and bassy, perhaps I'm missing something.

I'd like to try out the Gibson pickup in the Viper but its alot of hassle and time, don't want to waste good strings atm neither.

All I know is the Les Paul sounds alot more open and brighter, which is just what I want in the Viper too, seeing as they are the similar tonewoods I figure its the pickups, and that PAF/gibby pickups are what I like

Something is seriously wrong if a JB doesn't have enough treble for you. It's one of the brightest humbuckers out there. Did you change the 25K EMG pots when you installed the new pickup? You should have 500K pots with passives.
well... the les paul does have a maple top so that's one reason it could be brighter. the first pickup swap that I did was a 498t to a JB and I felt like it made the guitar a ton brighter.

It may just be the guitar. Play both unplugged and see if the les paul sounds clearer and more open.
Roc, I was thinking this.. however I didn't swap them, and the pots look replaced, is there anything that would indicate if they are 500k? There is also an orange 'drop' looking cap wired in there, would that have anything to do with it?

The les paul is definately a bit more brighter in person than the Viper, but not as much as the difference is through an amp, and I always have the tone knob at 10, I may wire it out of the Viper when I'm done sorting this out anyway..

Many pot brands have the value stamped right on the pot. If it's not on there you'll need a multimeter to measure the pot.

How do the neck pickups compare? Is there as big a difference between the two guitars? What pickup is in the neck on your Eclipse?
i sorta think i know what he's saying...

yeah, i agree a JB is bright- but it's also pretty high output, which translates to a lot of compression and a more dark feel (even though it's pretty bright- you know the way that more winds in a pickup translates to a darker tone? that's what i mean). It also has that big mid spike going on.

The JBs weird too- it's sorta too bright and piercing but also muddy at the same time. Different guitars accentuate different bits, sometimes both at once So if the guitar it's in, as andrew is saying, is fairly dark already, that might be the problem.

if you want something more open a paf-type pickup might work- it might not be any brighter, but it'll be more open, should be clearer in the mids and might "feel" brighter.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bigaxmax
Roc, I was thinking this.. however I didn't swap them, and the pots look replaced, is there anything that would indicate if they are 500k? There is also an orange 'drop' looking cap wired in there, would that have anything to do with it?

The les paul is definately a bit more brighter in person than the Viper, but not as much as the difference is through an amp, and I always have the tone knob at 10, I may wire it out of the Viper when I'm done sorting this out anyway..

Could you remove the pot from the body? Usually, other than the top (relative to you looking into the guitar's guts, there'll also be another printing on the side of the pot to indicate if it is a 250k or 500k pot.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That's a good point, Dave. I've never tried a JB in an all mahogany body. It works well in brighter guitars, so perhaps it's best suited to accentuating brightness instead of adding it to a guitar that doesn't have any to begin with. It still seems odd to me that it could sound dull with the treble all the way up on any guitar, but the muddiness and voicing on a dark guitar makes sense.
Okay so I took some pictures.. oh god, how can I make them smaller?

Worse wiring than I remembered.. and its a green cap.. my mistake. I couldn't find a marking on the pot.
The neck pickup is an invader, but I never use it, doesn't actually sound that far off the bridge when distorted anyway, thats how rounded it is.

It's probably just the combination of everything. It is definately a dark guitar, I just hear it in comparision to the Les Paul and it just has a whole lot more clarity through my rig.

Also here some clips if you like, this is the exact guitar.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMCpfEHCs4

This is why I figured it would just benefit me from swapping to similar pickups as the Gibson or another suggestion

Last edited by Bigaxmax at May 24, 2011,
The Duncan Custom is very pronounced in its highs, but is very lacking in the lows I'd say go for the Duncan SH-6 the Mids and Highs are more pronounced, but you still have a good low end, it is a Hot p/u tho.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Roc8995
That's a good point, Dave. I've never tried a JB in an all mahogany body. It works well in brighter guitars, so perhaps it's best suited to accentuating brightness instead of adding it to a guitar that doesn't have any to begin with. It still seems odd to me that it could sound dull with the treble all the way up on any guitar, but the muddiness and voicing on a dark guitar makes sense.

yeah, i'm just going by how different it sounds in my edwards LP compared to my framus superstrat- it's still bright in the edwards, but it's not anywhere near as piercing; however, the muddiness is worse, and there's much more of the mid-push thing going on (in some ways i prefer it in the edwards, but in others i prefer it in the framus, lol... I'm just not much of a fan, really). In the framus it can definitely be piercing, and also has a bit of the muddiness thing going on at high gain (but not as much as the framus).

Granted, the one in the edwards also has a cover, so that's also probably warming things up a touch.

and yeah i think you're right about the accentuating brightness thing- I used to think the opposite, but now i'm not so sure. Though accentuating the brightness can backfire and it can just end up crazy bright

it's just quite a finicky pickup, I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2011,