So I wanted some advanced players thoughts on this, I guess it's fairly obvious but... I'll ask anyway.

There are a number of things that make an advanced player much better than an average one, but one thing that came to mind is their own definition and understanding of what good is.

Example.... when Yngwie talks about using your ears... he doesn't just mean using your ears and 'oooh that sounds' like the average person might, he means that every single thing has to be absolutely crystal perfect.

And when Shawn Lane says he used to be sloppy..... ... can we honestly believe that his idea of sloppy is the same as the average person?
Quote by Jonashred
So I wanted some advanced players thoughts on this, I guess it's fairly obvious but... I'll ask anyway.

There are a number of things that make an advanced player much better than an average one, but one thing that came to mind is their own definition and understanding of what good is.

Example.... when Yngwie talks about using your ears... he doesn't just mean using your ears and 'oooh that sounds' like the average person might, he means that every single thing has to be absolutely crystal perfect.

And when Shawn Lane says he used to be sloppy..... ... can we honestly believe that his idea of sloppy is the same as the average person?

Well... yes. Everyone who is clean now was sloppy at some point, no one picked up a guitar and was suddenly crystal clean and faster than a speeding bullet.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, John Wheatcroft said that if he and a student were to write a list of what could be improved in their playing, his would be longer. I think it's a given that as you improve and as you learn more about listening, playing, tone and groove - you have more ability to notice imperfections and fix them.

There is a little bit of chicken and egg to the question, but setting high standards and the ability to discern between average playing and excellent playing are both closely linked to improvement.
Thanks guys

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well... yes. Everyone who is clean now was sloppy at some point, no one picked up a guitar and was suddenly crystal clean and faster than a speeding bullet.

Yeah but Shawn Lanes definition of sloppy is not going to be sloppy is it? Can you honestly say that his version of sloppy is the same as an average player?

It would still surely be many times greater, even when he was 10-14 years old (he says he got his adult technique down when he was 16 from memory)
Last edited by Jonashred at May 25, 2011,
He still wasn't born being amazing on the guitar - he was still an "average player" at some point. Granted he may not have been at that level for as long as most of us but he still had to go through that process of getting better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah but Shawn Lanes definition of sloppy is not going to be sloppy is it? Can you honestly say that his version of sloppy is the same as an average player?

It would still surely be many times greater, even when he was 10-14 years old (he says he got his adult technique down when he was 16 from memory)

He said he got down all his adult speed in 2 years, and spent the rest of his life getting cleaner and looser and better at note choice.

And sure, he definitely used to be sloppy, check out the vids of him at 16.

(not to mention he makes plenty of mistakes on the hellborg stuff, even the officially released tracks )