Hello UG,

I have just acquired PRO-tools 9 and an audio-interface (Roland Octa-Capture).

I tried running this on my school laptop, but it just barely has enough RAM/CPU, etc.

I was wondering if you could recommend a nice laptop(needs to be portable + I need recommendations for best price - quality) to do semi - professional recordings with? Budget is less than €1000 though...

I salute you,
Wouter
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
I have a 2.3 GHz i3 processor with a 500GB harddrive that goes at 7200 RPM. It records perfectly with 4 Gb of RAM, though 8 probably wouldn't hurt. I can multitrack, throw several effects in, etc, with no problem. Computer thread in the Pit could probably give you something more detailed.

You could probably get an i5 processor with around 2.5 GHz of processing power, a 500 GB harddrive at 7200 RPM, and 8 gig of RAM for under $700 pretty easily, though I don't have any specific recommendations.
Ok thanks mate. Any more?:-)

Also, I have an I5 processor with 4GB RAM.
Maybe I should check out if I wasn't doing anything wrong...
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
The problem might be your hard drive spin speed. Mine is only 5400, and I can't get more than 30 seconds recorded. But, with an external hard drive, I can get pretty much anything recorded (Pro Tools 8LE + Mbox2, also school provided). Try using an external hard drive, and see if you have any more luck, to save a ton of money.
I use Ableton, which is supposed to be a CPU hog, but it handles it fine. Maybe Pro Tools is more power intensive, I don't know. One thing you could do is disabling the inputs that you're not using from your interface, which helps. Also, plug your computer in, and be sure to use a high performance power setting. I also use a thing called Game Booster, which shuts down unnecessary processes to free up RAM and processing power, usually for games, but it works for anything. I know it sounds spammy, but it works quite well and is free.

Edit: What guy above said is what I do too, more for space than anything, but it's a good idea regardless.
Last edited by CrossBack7 at May 24, 2011,
Alright guys, I'll try that, thank you all!