Page 1 of 3
How do you guys feel about the glorification of serial killers in pop culture (movies, shows, t-shirts ect)?

For example, the store I work at sells Charlie Manson shirts (http://www.rockworldeast.com/store/Charles_Manson_T-Shirt_Heres_Charlie) and a lot of people buy them.

Other examples would be like the movies about Ted Bundy, Dahmer, ect.

Do you think these things are disrespectful to the victims? Glorifies what the murderers did, and really only bring more attention to them?

Personally, I think that the t-shirts are a bit much... The movies I'm on the fence about though. They never really put a positive spin on the murderers, but they do bring more attention to them, which again, is what I think the murderers want.

What do you guys think?
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
I wouldn't call it glorification, yes it becomes glorification but I'd rather call it fascination with these weirdos.

At least for me and I can only assume it's same for others.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Those shirts seem awful. I'd never wear one or be that disrespectful to the people killed, but I think people should have the freedom to if they so wish. It's not illegal to be a jerk. The day one moral code becomes law is a bad day.
i don't really give a damn, sir. the truth is, a lot of people idolise people like charles manson and i don't condemn them in any way. some people are a fan of the way they think.

the reason there's films on them is because true stories are always scarier than fictional stories.

the idea of being completely remorseless and wanting to kill is damn interesting also.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 24, 2011,
I'd never wear one of those, it's stupid. I do like reading about them though, for some reason it's interesting.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
The shirts are beyond reason, and is glorification. If you wear that shirt, what the **** are you trying to say?

As for the films, they tend to be a psychological examination - giving them some credence. Tbh, the films about them are much better than say like the Jason films, where it's just brutal murders for the sake of it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Been said already but I find serial killers interesting, but I really don't know why someone would walk around with a Charles Manson shirt... or cover his songs... Lookin' at you Axl and Marilyn...
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Charles Manson shirts are awesome

Just look at this one
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Interesting story: my auntie is a child therapist and recently she's been studying about the psychology of serial killers, and she realised one of her clients who's like 10 is showing all the symptoms

truestory.jpg

Keep us posted if it develops
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Serial killers are interesting to people because their acts are way outside the rules and norms of society and law. It's only natural to be interested in these things. Besides every human being can commit murder under certain circumstances. It's like being confronted with the dark side of our human being.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Interesting story: my auntie is a child therapist and recently she's been studying about the psychology of serial killers, and she realised one of her clients who's like 10 is showing all the symptoms

truestory.jpg

there's symptoms of serial killers? do you mean psychopaths? because i have a similar story;

my english teacher was talking to us about the poem stealing, and he told us a story about how a kid in his class back in '95 actually laughed when another kid was talking about how his mother died. when his mother took him to see a psychotherapist, he was analysed as being a psychopath because he is incapable of feeling empathy/sympathy :/
The t-shirt just says "HEY LOOK HOW CONTROVERSIAL I AM" and seem pretty stupid, but I think an interest with things gorey and macabre and whatnot is pretty natural. People often seem to have a bit of a fascination with that kind of thing, but it's more of a fascination than glorification.

If yeh get me.
Quote by laid-to-waste
there's symptoms of serial killers? do you mean psychopaths? because i have a similar story;

my english teacher was talking to us about the poem stealing, and he told us a story about how a kid in his class back in '95 actually laughed when another kid was talking about how his mother died. when his mother took him to see a psychotherapist, he was analysed as being a psychopath because he is incapable of feeling empathy/sympathy :/

Well obviously all serial killers are different, but she said the kid is very violent in general, extremely vindictive, no remorse, draws pictures of violent shit 'n all.

She said she was going to give me a few books by your avatar plus other people. I don't know if she will give me anything on serial killers but she really enjoyed telling me about it so she probably will.
I think it's more a fascination with the bizarre and the prewritten material (basically) that leads to the movies about them. Selling shirts with Manson on it is kinda weird though I'll admit. Even weirder that people buy them.
Quote by WhiskeyFace

truestory.jpg

Suspect confirmation bias.
Technically charles manson is not a serial killer?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
i get the fascination with serial killers, when i was younger i used to think they were really interesting and read up a lot on them.

but now that i'm older, these movies and merchandise really just seem to commodify these heinous crimes. i mean, someone is profiting off another persons demise.

it seems really strange to me.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
Quote by rotten_days
i mean, someone is profiting off another persons demise

Have you not heard of "war" before?
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Confirmation bias or no, I doubt she wants to take the risk.

Good, there's absolutely no negative repercussions to treating a child as if he's going to become a serial killer.
WhiskyFace, you'll probably enjoy sir. freud's books. His ideas aren't very linear, but they're interesting and admirable.
serial killers are ****ing cool op thats why people buy those shirts, to swag their asses out with cool-ass broskis on the front
Quote by WhiskeyFace
She treats him regardless because he's a nutjob. His mother came to my auntie about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Regardless if he's a nut job or not, it can be very harmful and stigmatizing to actually label someone as a psychopath or serial killer. Hopefully other people will treat him like a serial killer and he will respond accordingly becoming the greatest mass murderer since Ed Gein spawning more awesome movies and documentaries.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at May 24, 2011,
Quote by bass-boy-garith
I can almost guarantee you there is nothing wrong with that little boy other than the fact that he is probably ruthlessly bullied and that the teachers allow it if not partake in it.

that can develop into sociopathy.

which is basically psychopathy but tends to be more about environmental factors.
Quote by RU Experienced?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

Regardless if he's a nut job or not, it can be very harmful and stigmatizing to actually label someone as a psychopath or serial killer. Hopefully other people will treat him like a serial killer and he will respond accordingly becoming the greatest mass murderer since Ed Gein spawning more awesome movies and documentaries.

She hasn't "labeled" him at all. I think you misunderstood the story. She was telling me about serial killers and shit and said "and one of the boys I'm treating is showing these symptoms. Pretty freaky eh?"

End of story.
^ I'm not suggesting that she did label him yet, but it's only a matter of time if the client is "showing all the symptoms", no?

Edit: Now I'm curious if one can "create" a serial killer.
I wouldn't know, I'm not a therapist I'll ask her about it the next time I see her.

I think even if she hadn't known about the symptoms of serial killers she would have done something if no progress was being made.

EDIT: To your edit, she said serial killers can be both born or made, both factors play a role. I reckon external factors would have a grater effect though.
Serial killers are interesting, deal with it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by RU Experienced?
^ I'm not suggesting that she did label him yet, but it's only a matter of time if the client is "showing all the symptoms", no?

Attachment Disorder
An infant's inability to form an appropriate bond with a caregiver, either through parental neglect or abandonment, may lead to the development of an attachment disorder. As a result, these individuals do not develop the ability to form emotional connections to others. Stout cites this factor as another probable cause for ASPD.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/116006-causes-sociopath/#ixzz1NIWhEWmG

There's also other factors, but like it says in the article, biology is half the story, sometimes it's entirely responsible, especially when there's no trauma.

Also, psychopath =/= violent person/serial killer. Some psychopaths keep it hidden all their lives and might not even be aware of it. They are just extremely manipulative and treat life as a game.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at May 24, 2011,
Quote by RU Experienced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMxpBcg_iZM
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/116006-causes-sociopath/#ixzz1NIWhEWmG

There's also other factors, but like it says in the article, biology is half the story, sometimes it's entirely responsible, especially when there's no trauma.

Also, psychopath =/= violent person/serial killer. Some psychopaths keep it hidden all their lives and might not even be aware of it. They are just extremely manipulative and treat life as a game.
And a lot of serial killers are not only psychopaths, but some subcategory of schizophrenic as well.

Also, psychopath = inborn. Sociopath = "created"

Edit: VERY IMPORTANT to note that attachment disorders are fairly common and usually work themselves out. Attachment disorders are likely linked to psychopathy/antisocial personality disorder, but to me its chicken and egg. If it's inborn, they lack that ability to form emotional attachments anyways.
Last edited by Inimical at May 24, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste

What does Bowlby and Attachment theory have to do with serial killing?

Edit: NVM, articles on sociopathy.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at May 24, 2011,
Charles Manson is not a serial killer
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I think it's stupid. I never saw the movies as glorification, more like telling a story...but people who have "favorite" serial killers are just ****ed up.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
I think it's stupid. I never saw the movies as glorification, more like telling a story...but people who have "favorite" serial killers are just ****ed up.

Even if purely out of interest of human behaviour?
Page 1 of 3