Page 1 of 3
This is an odd trend, and with the internet and the curtain of anonymity that it provides, has become quite extreme. Why do some people hate certain celebrities, particularly pop artists.

UG seems to be a place where this kind of hatred breeds, if the recent articles on Lady GaGa and Ke$ha's musical influences are to be any example. When someone gets popular, be it a flavor of the week type deal (such as Rebecca Black), or pop artists with clear staying power (Lady GaGa or Kanye West), there's a portion of the population that rebels against them to the point of hatred. We instantly assume they're talentless, that other people write their songs, that they're only in it for the money. We apply every single stereotype about pop artists that we possibly can think of and put it on them.

Why do we do this, why do we care so much that these people's music is popular? No one has forced you to listen to Katy Perry. No one has taken a gun to your head and made you watch a marathon of Justin Bieber music videos. Yet some people like this music. Many people call these fans of pop music "brainless" or "conformists", but we don't know them. We can't say for sure that they just want to fit in, or if they legitimately enjoy it.

Now, why do we hate these people. In the youtube comments for the "Friday" video, Rebecca Black was receiving death threats. When Ke$ha talked about her love of Iggy Pop and Bob Dylan people here, on this website, instantly assumed that she was incapable of listening to those artists and that it was all a bunch of BS. Biebermania got it's own counterculture with a slew of people who felt it was necessary to insult him and post on every rock-music video on Youtube something along the lines of "This is real music, not like that Justin Bieber crap".

Why do we care? Why can't we sit back and just let them do there thing and run their course? Instead we actively insult and hate them. It's easy to ignore. Lady GaGa released her Born This Way single months ago but I just heard it for the first time two weeks ago.

So, any input on why this is?

tldr: Read it or gtfo.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Because people have too much energy and apparently needs to hate something. People enjoy hating things as that makes them they think present themselves as aware and intelligent individuals.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
The degree of my apathy towards celebrities is comparable only to the venomous hatred that everybody else has for them.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
The bigger you are, the more haters you get. Rebecca gets empty death threats from idiots on youtube, John Lennon got murdered. I don't hate any of the people you've listed in OP, but I also don't listen to their music. Hating haters is almost as bad as hating, anyway.

Also, what Johnny said.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by BeefWellington
The degree of my apathy towards celebrities is comparable only to the venomous hatred that everybody else has for them.

Third part of your sig is illogical as a kid would never be able to not touch things within the ant farm.
cos when people are bored and can no longer be angry at politicians they turn they're attention to celebrities

its most just jelly though
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Third part of your sig is illogical as a kid would never be able to not touch things within the ant farm.

Oh, you catch my drift. Cheeky git.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
It's 'cause it's everywhere! Everywhere you look, you see that damn bieber and his mushy hair, singing stupid songs! I don't listen to him, but i'm constantly confronted with him. In the paper today, bieber gonna launch new perfume. Seriously? Why? What does it have to do with music? Why don't I read about the latest In Flames album in the paper?
Quote by PotBellyShogun
they turn they're attention h

Somehow I find this ironic.
because when you were 14 it was cool to rage about how much you hate Fallout Boy, now the new generation of 14 year olds the new thing is to hate Lady Gaga and Ke$ha. Personally I enjoy their songs and think Ke$ha is hot.

Plus some people have nothing better to do than raid Beiber's videos on Youtube and "troll them" yet everyone's doing the same thing, so technically it's not trolling.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by PotBellyShogun
why?

Because that spelling error brought my attention to it.
Quote by BeefWellington

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm actually even somewhat entertained, its funny to see what people with too much money get themselves into.
last.fm[/url}
It's rather funny that the only ones who answer here claim they are not the haters yet we all know these forums are filled with these haters.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Because that spelling error brought my attention to it.

i don't get it, oh well

yeah celebrities can be a bit gay, sxometimes they just need to shut up and deal with things
Quote by PotBellyShogun
i don't get it, oh well

yeah celebrities can be a bit gay, sxometimes they just need to shut up and deal with things

Don't celebrities have to deal with pretty much everything? Dealing with the rest of the world wanting to know what color your shit was this morning.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Hating haters is almost as bad as hating, anyway.

Well the point here is, that rather than hating a single celebrity, the haters seems a lot more widespread.

I'm just wondering why people do it, why so many people, and why are they so passionate about it. Or at the very least appear to be passionate about it.

Quote by RU Experienced?
K, see ya around.

Bye! Have a nice day.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
It's simply because they are popular.

That's it.

People hate these artists because they are always on the news, and they get millions of views on YouTube, and they are not 'talented enough', to some people's eyes.

Heck, I've seen many people admit that the only reason they hate bands like the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin is because they are popular and are always in the "best bands list". I guess you could factor jealousy into it, but I think it's because people are sick of seeing them everywhere.

Of course, you got the celebrities like Liam Gallagher, Gene Simmons and Axl Rose who are hated simply because they're a**holes.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
Quote by TheIceCreamMan
Well the point here is, that rather than hating a single celebrity, the haters seems a lot more widespread.

I'm just wondering why people do it, why so many people, and why are they so passionate about it. Or at the very least appear to be passionate about it.

Bye! Have a nice day.

By hating the celebrities they believe they are anti-mainstream and thinking for themselves. I would assume. A smart person will never hate a single individual but might hate the individuals action or effect on society or other people.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Don't celebrities have to deal with pretty much everything? Dealing with the rest of the world wanting to know what color your shit was this morning.

yeah but theyre the ones who got in that situation when they set it to be famous

be careful what you ****ing wish for i say
Quote by PotBellyShogun
yeah but theyre the ones who got in that situation when they set it to be famous

Most celebrities are not famous for being famous. Most people are famous for doing something we consider interesting and that we spend our money on. I.e, music, movies, football etc.

I doubt most of the celebrities really enjoy having paparazzi taking pictures of your kids or your dog every single day.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

we get a lot of shit too, like getting behind on your bills and responsibility in terms of living situations. i'd definitely rather have this end of the stick, though.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Honestly there are certain people that just love to hate, while others have actual opinion and reasoning behind it. for example:

a friend of mine HATES Jim Carrey. he loves Carrey's movies, thinks hes a funny guy but never has a positive word to say about him

example #2: i dislike Michael Cera. its because i just cant appreciate his comedy style, and i never liked a role hes played thus far. i've watched several of his movies and was under-impressed with all of them
Gear:
Epiphone Viola Bass
Gibson SG Standard
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 150 watt
Line 6 POD Xt Live
Ibanez Ts-9 Tubescreamer
Perhaps because people are bitter that a celebrity has become famous and respected for having (in the opinion of the person hating) minimal talent?

Also, people hate non-celebrities but they don't publicise it on the internet. "Eurgh, this guy in my history class is such a dick" won't get the reaction that "Eurgh, Kanye West is such a dick" will get.
Last edited by Toilets at May 24, 2011,
Quote by laid-to-waste
we get a lot of shit too, like getting behind on your bills and responsibility in terms of living situations. i'd definitely rather have this end of the stick, though.

Don't they have to pay for the exact same things but they will have half the world knowing what they are doing every single day. Must be a living hell unless you're a narcissist and actually revel it.
people hate celebrities cos they're just ****ing jelly and think celebrities need to behave in a certain way when they ****ing well dont

when you make that much money, **** erryone else, just sit back, jack off and snort some ****ing coke out a strippers butt crack got damn
Quote by PotBellyShogun

Once again, this is putting words in other people's mouths. Some people have admitted that they set out to be famous, and I suppose that's true in their case. But you can't just assume that every celebrity is in the business to be an A-Lister. The reason most actors move out to LA and try and make it big in movies is because Acting is something they're passionate about doing. Even Justin Bieber started with posting Youtube videos of himself singing.

Like Johnny said, most people who are famous are famous for a reason. Even those who don't write their own songs (and you might be surprised by the amount that actually do), still have the vocal talent.
Quote by Shredder XXX
Quote by PotBellyShogun
people hate celebrities cos they're just ****ing jelly and think celebrities need to behave in a certain way when they ****ing well dont

when you make that much money, **** erryone else, just sit back, jack off and snort some ****ing coke out a strippers butt crack got damn

Are you suffering a constant seizure or what the **** is wrong with your posting?
I don't know... I feel personally that I need to channel my hate somewhere.

I think it's more like the effect of an artist's music which causes so much hatred.

Bieber's music is too clichéd with cheesy lyrics, sung by a kid who sounds like a girl.
I would not see why a college student would hate Bieber, though, as it does not come in contact with his music as much as, for instance, a 15 year-old, who goes to school and has to endure girls in his class who celebrate this kid like he's a god.

I think it might also be that people who are more into the rock-genre are butthurt over the fact that it's hard to find people who also like the music they do.
DeVillains!
I openly hate what popular music stands for. I couldn't give a purple shit about the individual "artists". I believe most people get a burr under their strap-on about people like Ke$ha or Kanye West because they are tools being used in the ever-increasing downward spiral of music. Who am I to say what's music and what isn't? Dumb question. Lemmy calls me to check and see if he's still rock 'n roll. Music is supposed to strike an emotion, get a message across. If your message is, I'm a shallow piece of urbanite trash that would rather concern myself with 4G phones, bastardizing the American language, and generally encouraging the stupidity of our generation, then **** you. Musicians hate this because, whether we're any good or not, at least most of us are trying to make what we see as real music. We believe in it. Are you going to tell me that Ke$ha actually believes in her music? It says nothing more than to drink and be a humongous slut. While I endorse this as proper behavior for any attractive lady, it doesn't pass for music on my ship. I just read in Billboard that some kid told her that her music saved his life. Sterilize that idiot right now. And people like Bieber are peddling the same crap over and over again and making bank. Why do we hate these people? Cause this is America, Sally, and we have a right to be jealous, intolerant and generally pissy.
Last edited by Zeppelin71 at May 24, 2011,
Quote by Ikey
gaga and kanye are great

Lady Gaga is pretty awesome. Kanye... Not so much.

I hate Fearne Cotton, Jeremy Clarkson, Simon Cowell and Alan Carr. They are some of my most hated people. I don't give a rat's ass if you didn't ask, I just told you. Deal with it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
I openly hate what popular music stands for. I couldn't give a purple shit about the individual "artists". I believe most people get a burr under their strap-on about people like Ke$ha or Kanye West because they are tools being used in the ever-increasing downward spiral of music. Who am I to say what's music and what isn't? Dumb question. Lemmy calls me to check and see if he's still rock 'n roll. Music is supposed to strike an emotion, get a message across. If your message is, I'm a shallow piece of urbanite trash that would rather concern myself with 4G phones, bastardizing the American language, and generally encouraging the stupidity of our generation, then **** you. Musicians hate this because, whether we're any good or not, at least most of us are trying to make what we see as real music. We believe in it. Are you going to tell me that Ke$ha actually believes in her music? It says nothing more than to drink and be a humongous slut. While I endorse this as proper behavior for any attractive lady, it doesn't pass for music on my ship. I just read in Billboard that some kid told her that her music saved his life. Sterilize that idiot right now. And people like Bieber are peddling the same crap over and over again and making bank. Why do we hate these people? Cause this is America, Sally, and we have a right to be jealous, intolerant and generally pissy.

Ke$ha doesn't have songs about being a slut. Her songs are generally about being happy and enjoying yourself (by partying), that is probably why that person said her music saved his life. Not everyone wants to listen to music about someone whining about how much the world sucks, it's a slight change to hear something more upbeat and more positive about life.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
seriously the people bitching about justin bieber are worse then bieber himself

the guys doing a job, selling records, you don't like it, don't ****ing listen to it
Quote by Zeppelin71

Oh dear what a load of garbage.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Ke$ha doesn't have songs about being a slut. Her songs are generally about being happy and enjoying yourself (by partying), that is probably why that person said her music saved his life. Not everyone wants to listen to music about someone whining about how much the world sucks, it's a slight change to hear something more upbeat and more positive about life.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're an idiot.
Page 1 of 3