Hey so I've finally dedicated myself to learning the 5 box positions of the E natural Minor scale and decided to try use different variations to try get out of the normal scale box pattern for when improvising leads and what not. So i recently decided to start practicing scales in 3rds as this seems to be a big favorite to many and so my question is does it really matter what not you end it on?

For example I have been practicing these scales starting from the tonic root note of E and when ascending to the higher strings i will end on the Root tonic and then descend back up to the starting tonic of E. So for position one i start open E on 6th string play the scale until i reach the 5th fret of the B string which is the higher octave of E and then go back descending the scale back to open E. I feel that this is an effective way to practice scales and is it really gets the tonality of E stuck in my head for starting and ending on it, is this efficient way of doing it?

And for my real question when i am playing any of these box positions in 3rds it doesn't resolve to the E so i would instead resolve it say on the 2nd degree of F# or G I totally forget which one resolved it really nice but i played it till i found a nice resolving of it. So to sum up the question does it matter if you always start on the tonic and end on the tonic?

A lot of information and if the first part of me explaining how i play scales doesn't make sense just skip it and answer the easier of the two questions which is the last. Again any advice or additional tips on this subject is much appreciated I just want to really learn scales and phrasing and all that efficiently so i can begin writing music like solos or improvising, BTW im going for more of a metal feel with my stuff especially thrash/power metal stuff.
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
Quote by monobrow7
Hey so I've finally dedicated myself to learning the 5 box positions of the E natural Minor scale and decided to try use different variations to try get out of the normal scale box pattern for when improvising leads and what not. So i recently decided to start practicing scales in 3rds as this seems to be a big favorite to many and so my question is does it really matter what not you end it on?

For example I have been practicing these scales starting from the tonic root note of E and when ascending to the higher strings i will end on the Root tonic and then descend back up to the starting tonic of E. So for position one i start open E on 6th string play the scale until i reach the 5th fret of the B string which is the higher octave of E and then go back descending the scale back to open E. I feel that this is an effective way to practice scales and is it really gets the tonality of E stuck in my head for starting and ending on it, is this efficient way of doing it?

And for my real question when i am playing any of these box positions in 3rds it doesn't resolve to the E so i would instead resolve it say on the 2nd degree of F# or G I totally forget which one resolved it really nice but i played it till i found a nice resolving of it. So to sum up the question does it matter if you always start on the tonic and end on the tonic?

A lot of information and if the first part of me explaining how i play scales doesn't make sense just skip it and answer the easier of the two questions which is the last. Again any advice or additional tips on this subject is much appreciated I just want to really learn scales and phrasing and all that efficiently so i can begin writing music like solos or improvising, BTW im going for more of a metal feel with my stuff especially thrash/power metal stuff.

Stick to basic melodic writing principles. resolve to a note in the chord that is supporting the melody.
shred is gaudy music
When starting out and first getting used to your 2nds, 3rds (also I would do 4ths 5ths and 6ths once you've mastered these) workouts, Yes, I would start and resolve to the tonic, like you said, it really gets the tonic in your ear and this is technically the proper way to do it, however once you have that down pat you can do whatever you want with it, resolve how you want to, make your own excercises, whatever you fell like doing, as long as your practicing theres no right or wrong. This is a great thing to do if practicing improv for Jazz as well, many jazz players utilize the 3rd, 4th, and 5th movements in a scale form, mixed with chromatisism (i cant spell) pretty often
If you look at it, you're really progressing through chords when you practice that way, so use your ear. Primarily, the triadic voicing will sound most resolved when the chord during the progression is the same one in your sequence at that moment. Use your ears. If you understand theory, you can also appreciate the ramifications that extended chord voicings can imply when playing with thirds, such as a G-B 3rd over a C Major. If you don't understand this, then stick to triads, and continue with your theory studies until you expand this knowledge to extended voicings.

Good luck. Use your ears...always.

Best,

Sean
Quote by monobrow7

If you are using learning the box shapes make sure you learn the whole shape not just the notes between E and E. You can still start and end on E if you want but it's not necessary to start and finish on the root - though if you're learning a particular scale doing so can help you associate the shape with where the root notes are.

And what to you mean it doesn't "resolve" to E? do you mean rhythmically as in you're playing through and feeling a rhythm and when you hit E you're not quite done? Add a note or two play the E twice.

Also how are you playing in thirds? Are you playing (in Em) E G B D F♯ A C E or another way to do it would be by working through the whole shape playing the third off each scale degree E G F♯A G B A C B D etc etc (see how the bold notes form the Em scale notes and each is followed by the note in third above it? It helps if you say it as you play it too. You can do that for any note.)

Anyway however you do it if you are starting on the low open E then I would have thought you would play that high E on the open high E string, and I would go past there to include the whole shape and then back to E if you want to.

Apart from that I'm not really clear on how you're doing it, and what you mean specifically when you say it doesn't resolve.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at May 24, 2011,
Quote by monobrow7

To practice a scale? No, not at all.

Just say all the notes as you play them.