I own a marshall MG100HFX which is good enough for practices to hear over the drummer and good enough for shows, but i dont want to record it. At this point we are planning to play out and tour extensively before recording an album, but i would like to prepare for it. Do most studios provide quality amps to musicians? If they dont i am going to have to buy a new amp. Most likely a Marshall JVM 205H, Bogner alchemist (Or uberschall though its out of my budget) or a Mesa Boogie. The style i play i need a good overdrive channel and a good clean channel. On that note what are the pros and cons to these amps and which mesa boogie amps are the best in your opinion in a $2000 budget?
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
Last edited by JStraitiff at May 24, 2011,
Yes, they do. How many, and how good they are depends on the studio, of course.

I've recorded briefly at a studio as a guest on a bands song, and from what little I saw, they had the usual suspects - 6505's, XXX's, some kind of JCM's I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It really depends on the studio. When I recorded my first demo I turned up to the studio with my Korg Multi-effects and a MG 30 watt combo, the engineer laughed and plugged me in to a JCM 900, as a noob I spent the rest of the day bitching about how the guy didn't let me play with my stuff. The folly of youth........

and back to the question - call the studio and see what they have (or are willing to let you use).
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Check around some do, some dont.

You can always go with pod farm or something similar.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
most studios do but the quality can vary, one place might have great 6505s kicking around where-as another place you wil have to make do with a dusty jcm800
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Most of the studios I've been to had pretty nice gear, Orange Rockerverb 50, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM800. That said, it might be weird to use a completely new amp, but the engineer will know how to make it sound good.
Any studio worth the money will have at least a few amps in there for you to choose from. The guy my band recorded with had a Framus Dragon, a 6505+ (his amp), and a JCM2000. He also had access to one or two others that belonged to the other guitarist in his band. If the studio doesn't have a descent amp or two I wouldn't bother with it.
Quote by stig354
most studios do but the quality can vary, one place might have great 6505s kicking around where-as another place you wil have to make do with a dusty jcm800

i'd take a JCM800 over a Peavey 6505 any day..
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by jimihendrix6699
i'd take a JCM800 over a Peavey 6505 any day..

They're pretty different amps bro
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.